IGNORED

Batgirl The Movie

Goose

Not really much to add at this point. Whether it comes to fruition is another thing entirely but surely a step in the right direction for WB and DC.

From Variety via Comingsoon

Holy female empowerment, Batman! Variety is reporting that none other than geek legend Joss Whedon (Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly) has signed to write, direct and produce a Batgirl movie for Warner Bros. and DC Films!

Whedon, of course, directed The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron for Marvel Studios, grossing nearly $3 billion dollars in the process. He also co-created/shepherded the ABC series Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Now he’s jumped over to the competition, as it’s confirmed that his Batgirl movie will be part of the ever-evolving DC Extended Universe that includes the upcoming Wonder Woman, Justice

League, Aquaman and The Batman solo film, as well as another female-centric entry in David Ayer’s Gotham City Sirens.

No other producers are attached to the Batgirl movie, though Toby Emmerich, Jon Berg and Geoff Johns will oversee the project for the studio, which apparently only came into being within the last month.

Batgirl’s first comic appearance in 1967 was as Barbara Gordon, daughter of Commissioner James Gordon, and she later became an ally of Batman and Robin in Gotham City. She was previously portrayed by Yvonne Craig in the campy ’60s Batman series, then by Alicia Silverstone (as Barbara Wilson, Alfred’s niece) in the equally-campy 1997 flop Batman & Robin. She was recently voiced by Rosario Dawson in The LEGO Batman Movie.

Whedon, who had previously written a treatment for his own Wonder Woman movie a decade ago, was last said to be working on a World War II horror movie, but he has stated previously that he would like to make a Batman film. Whether he will take a larger role overseeing the DCEU as he did during Phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe remains to be seen, but for now that role belongs to Geoff Johns.

2 hours ago, Despin said:

How depressing is this? He either can't or doesn't want to make an original movie. He just made a studio BILLIONS. He should be able to make anything.

He's making batgirl...

He wrote an original movie two years ago (In Your Eyes I think it was called).

Settle down.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-kevin-feige-why-studio-wont-make-r-movies-guardians-2-joss-whedons-dc-move-99507

Joss Whedon called Feige about Batgirl.

Whedon spent years at Marvel not just as the writer and director of the two Avengers movies but also as a consultant, giving input on other projects. And thus when it was revealed he was taking on Batgirl for DC, fans were shocked at the news. It turns out Feige had known about it for a while. And was cool about it.

"He called. A couple months ago, which he didn't have to do and was super cool of him and super nice of him," Feige said. "And we couldn't be more supportive. We want to see a Joss Whedon Batgirl film be awesome."

On 31/03/2017 at 15:40, Garibaldi said:

I do like Whedon, but hopefully he can tone down the pithy one-liners in future work. Age of Ultron creaked under the weight of them, and he's turned Tony Stark into a walking 'zinger' machine. 

I think that was the "house style" from the outset, Iron Man was already a lot like that and Thor seemed to do a lot to emulate it. Not that Whedon isn't great at that sort of dialogue, but he's probably not the only reason the Marvel universe all bants.

Oh right, it hadn't even occurred to me that he was involved with Marvel first. 

I'm very much looking forward this and that's coming from someone who has zero affection for Batgirl. Not that I don't like her as a character but aside from the odd game and cartoon I've never been all that exposed to her.

Here's hoping he has total creative control so he can make the most coolest and awesomest comicbook film of all time.

(But then Wes Anderson does a Squirrel Girl film starring Ellie Kemper and it will be even betterder)

5 minutes ago, Punished Smitty said:

Oh boy, I definitely can't wait to watch another superhero movie. 

So why don't you just... not watch it? There are so many other things to worry about in this world! Go on, do the things that make you happy. 

10 minutes ago, Illyria said:

So why don't you just... not watch it? There are so many other things to worry about in this world! Go on, do the things that make you happy. 

Sure, or I could do whatever I want to do instead. 

I think I have a right to comment on this horrendous glut of superhero movies. 

It's pretty funny that you've immediately become defensive and suggest I don't watch it, when I haven't watched it or said that I'm going to watch it (not that it's relevant) and all I've done is comment on its existence. 

Really all you've done is make a passive-aggressive comment which essentially amounts to 'shut the fuck up'.

On 18.4.2017 at 20:55, Alex W. said:

I think that was the "house style" from the outset, Iron Man was already a lot like that and Thor seemed to do a lot to emulate it. Not that Whedon isn't great at that sort of dialogue, but he's probably not the only reason the Marvel universe all bants.

He's definitely not the only reason, I think the whole superhero genre is full of these quips, but he does... intensify it, I guess. For me it's okay with these films, cause I don't take them that seriously anyways. They're relatively light in tone. Imagine the Nolan batman doing this constantly, now that'd be weird. I also remember watching Skyfall and being completely annoyed and taken out of the action by one of the Bond one-liners, it was just too obvious "movie-making", if that makes sense. It was cheap.

4 minutes ago, Punished Smitty said:

Sure, or I could do whatever I want to do instead. 

I think I have a right to comment on this horrendous glut of superhero movies. 

Yes, but hasn't it been said a million times before, by a million other people? What is it going to achieve? It just seems like such a waste of energy. I mean, I agree that there are way too many of them out there these days. I just don't see the point in saying it over, and over, and over again.

And never did I tell you that you don't have a right to say it. So defensive!

Just now, Illyria said:

Yes, but hasn't it been said a million times before, by a million other people? What is it going to achieve?

Do you sit on the official board which decides when a view has been expressed too many times before? 

How do I submit a request to state my opinion to this review panel?

Anyway, I can't say I'm looking forward to this. Joss is a bit of a one trick pony. It is going to have lots of 'hilarious' one liners and lots of strong female characters (not that that is a criticism) but be very light on anything else.

He may prove me wrong but I think he hit his zenith with Firefly, and A:AOU was a terrible, jumbled mess.

Alternatively he could cast Fillion on the film and it instantly becomes the best thing DC have done*

*damning with faint praise, I know.

I agree Firefly is the best thing he's done so far (even though Buffy will always and forever be my fav, for nostalgic reasons), but I have to admit one thing. And please don't kill me.

I recently rewatched A:AOU, for the first time since seeing it at the movies. And I gotta say, having some time and distance in between, that it's not nearly as bad a film as people make it out to be. It's not mindblowing, it's not the cinematic experience of a lifetime, but it's a perfectly okay and watchable popcorn movie. And I think the incredibly, insanely high expectations people had for it (myself included) are in part at fault here. Another factor is just the bloody Marvel machine. As much as they let him take the reigns, I am fairly certain there were times when they pulled them for him. When he spoke about the second film, originally, people asked "How are you gonna go even bigger?" and his reply was "by going smaller". It's a shame that didn't really work out. I was looking forward to some more insightful character development, but Marvel (and most of its fans) needs the BOOM.

I've never read a good Batgirl comic TBH (same with Nightwing, Robin, The Birds of Prey, The Teen Titans and the Legion of Superheros, it's all SHITE), she has no good villians who aren't Batman villians and all the good Batman villians have already been used. So what they need to do is:

craig021.jpg

This Batgirl please. At least she was good fun (and staggeringly attractive to my pre-teen self who didn't understand the weird feelings bubbling around watching scenes when she was tied up by henchmen).

26 minutes ago, Illyria said:

I agree Firefly is the best thing he's done so far (even though Buffy will always and forever be my fav, for nostalgic reasons), but I have to admit one thing. And please don't kill me.

I recently rewatched A:AOU, for the first time since seeing it at the movies. And I gotta say, having some time and distance in between, that it's not nearly as bad a film as people make it out to be. It's not mindblowing, it's not the cinematic experience of a lifetime, but it's a perfectly okay and watchable popcorn movie. And I think the incredibly, insanely high expectations people had for it (myself included) are in part at fault here. Another factor is just the bloody Marvel machine. As much as they let him take the reigns, I am fairly certain there were times when they pulled them for him. When he spoke about the second film, originally, people asked "How are you gonna go even bigger?" and his reply was "by going smaller". It's a shame that didn't really work out. I was looking forward to some more insightful character development, but Marvel (and most of its fans) needs the BOOM.

I'd agree with that. I think it's well known that he clashed with Marvel over several scenes in the film (isn't it legend that they threatened the Hawkeye farm stuff if he didn't put in the random Thor bit?). 

I think it's less that Marvel want the "BOOM" and more that they're all about seeding and propagation of their other films (part of what pushed Wright away from Ant-Man I believe) and directors don't like having to compromise their films as placements for other properties.

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

I recently rewatched A:AOU, for the first time since seeing it at the movies. And I gotta say, having some time and distance in between, that it's not nearly as bad a film as people make it out to be. It's not mindblowing, it's not the cinematic experience of a lifetime, but it's a perfectly okay and watchable popcorn movie. .

It's a hoot. I don't buy the Banner/Black Widow thing, but it's still entertaining. 

• Goose changed the title to Batgirl The Movie