IGNORED

Nintendo DS Appreciation Thread

strider

On 11/26/2017 at 08:54, I say said:

Hope you enjoy it.  It's not a perfect game, and the AI can take an age to make its move later in the game, to the point that I thought the game had crashed a couple of times.  But it is extremely cool to fight over the entire Western front of World War 2.  Post your thoughts if you have a chance.

I'd never heard of this game until I saw your post on it, found a review from Eurogamer which mentions Panzer Tactics (another game I've never heard of) as the superior alternative WW2 strategy game for the DS, have you played that one, and is the reviewer correct?

I have Panzer Tactics, and the graphics are better, not that that is important in this kind of game.  I haven't played it very much - there was something that was fiddly to do in one of the very early missions, so I just stopped playing it.  I should go back to it.  I couldn't say which is better.

However, one thing I like about Military History is that there aren't any missions as such, just the war.  The scale involved is incredible.  That said, it doesn't seem to be very winnable, if you play as the Germans.  To hold all the opposing capitals (including Washington) is an enormous ask.

The first time I played it, the game started just after Germany's invasion of Poland.  I quickly finished Poland off, and the game suggested I either conquer France, or invade the USSR (whose troops were building up on my eastern frontier).  I invaded and eventually conquered the Russians, and then took France easily enough, and declared war on Spain for good measure.  I also went through Turkey and was about to clear the British out of North Africa.

However, every square of Britain had an allied tank or soldier on it.  I had been warned by the game that I would have to stop the convoys from America, but the few U-boats I built were surrounded by destroyers immediately, and made no impact at all.  Britain didn't stick to D-Day - they invaded France a few times in 1942,43 and 44.  There was one solitary Irish soldier in Ireland.

I was planning to invade Ireland (one thing I like about the game is that you can declare war on any country and invade it) and get a base in Britain that way.  I thought the war would drag on until the 60s at least.  But on the real VE Day, the game is over, which was very unsatisfactory indeed, after about 15 hours of play.

The second time I played it, I didn't invade the USSR.  Instead, I conquered Western Europe (well, the mainland), and then invaded America.  Unfortunately, the Allies took advantage of my thinly-spread defences, and were closing in when I gave up and stopped playing.

It's not a perfect game, but it's fun, and it can be found cheaply.

On 3/2/2018 at 19:18, ymaohyd said:

A bit annoying with a second hand copy that you can’t reset the high scores. Not that it matters with an R4 of course. Put many hours into that game on my commute. 

Are you sure? Normally there's a way - holding specific buttons when you turn it on or something.

Failing that, just beat all the scores.

I bet you can do it by corrupting the data. Take the card out when it's saving or something.

I remember doing that on another game with a supposedly un-deleteable save.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone play DS online using Altwfc or Wiimmfi servers? If not, is anyone interested in arranging some online gaming?

I’ve been playing Phantasy Star Zero online a bit lately with a couple of players I managed to find via Discord, but I’m surprised how few people are still playing DS online considering how popular it was, especially compared to something like the Dreamcast which has a fairly active online community in spite of the comparitive hassle getting it online via DreamPi etc.

If there is anyone here who wants to arrange some online games then I’d be more than happy to give the likes of PS0, FF: CC, Worms Warfare 2 and Tetris DS a good run out.

• 2 months later...

Off on my holibobs in a few weeks and have had an old 2DS gifted to me and currently own no games for it!

Specifically, I've not played either 2DS Zelda game - which is best? I also plan to pick up Elite Beat Agents too.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I picked up Phantom Hourglass, Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton: Spectre's Call and Sonic Rush. Not played any of 'em before. All set for holibobs. :) 

P.S. Has anyone played Phantom Hourglass with the d-pad control hack? Is it easy to do/worth it? I popped in PH last night to check it worked and have a strong feeling the stylus controls might do my head in.

This has inspired me to go back to my DS games so I picked up a DSi XL for £30. The thought of going back to my diddy old DS Lite didn't really inspire me. Yes I could use my 3DS but I prefer this. And that region-free hack is just the job. I can play Ouendan again.

• 2 years later...

If you don’t have a collection of GBA carts I’d always recommend a 2/3DS. It can be hacked for GBA if you want it and either way the screen is leagues ahead of any DS model, you forget how blurry and dull they were back then until you use one again.

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Well this is timely. 

I was thinking of picking up something ds capable. Is the trade off of losing gba capability worth it for the dsi (xl)?

For DS lovers, yes, it's worth losing that GBA slot because the screens in DSi XLs are all IPS and native resolution. 

However if you don't have any real GBA / DS / 3DS hardware and want it all in one unit I'd probably recommend getting a New 3DS and a DS flashcart, personally.

58 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I modded my 3ds and it plays DS ROMs directly from the 3ds SD card, no need for a DS flashcard.

Yeah, there's no need for a flashcart and Twilight Menu works well enough (I have it installed on other 3DSs my nephews like to use) but I still like a decent DS flashcart on my main 3DS for a few reasons:

- It's another expandable storage slot and can also obviously be hotswapped between units - and probably more crucially used on regular DS consoles for full screen pixel perfect video not possible on 3DSs

- It can be used to unbrick / fix any 3DS console in all but the very worst situations

- It can be used to jailbreak any stock 3DS in a matter of moments without faff or the use of often transient exploits (Nintendo are still patching these)

- It has 100% compatibility and perfect performance with the entire DS commercial and homebrew library (this always seemed to fluctuate with ongoing versions of Twilight Menu - some games simply don't / didn't run or save 100% on it, lots of interesting homebrew straight up doesn't work outside of a flashcart environment)

- It gives the cart slot in an otherwise all-digital 3DS a reason to exist

Of course for someone who just wants a few select DS ROMS playable on their 3DS a decent flashcart isn't a necessary $20 expenditure, but for what it brings to the table I'll always recommend a 3DS owner get one. 

3 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Yeah, there's no need for a flashcart and Twilight Menu works well enough (I have it installed on other 3DSs my nephews like to use) but I still like a decent DS flashcart on my main 3DS for a few reasons:

- It's another expandable storage slot and can also obviously be hotswapped between units - and probably more crucially used on regular DS consoles for full screen pixel perfect video not possible on 3DSs

- It can be used to unbrick / fix any 3DS console in all but the very worst situations

- It can be used to jailbreak any stock 3DS in a matter of moments without faff or the use of often transient exploits (Nintendo are still patching these)

- It has 100% compatibility and perfect performance with the entire DS commercial and homebrew library (this always seemed to fluctuate with ongoing versions of Twilight Menu - some games simply don't / didn't run or save 100% on it, lots of interesting homebrew straight up doesn't work outside of a flashcart environment)

- It gives the cart slot in an otherwise all-digital 3DS a reason to exist

Of course for someone who just wants a few select DS ROMS playable on their 3DS a decent flashcart isn't a necessary $20 expenditure, but for what it brings to the table I'll always recommend a 3DS owner get one. 

Good stuff.  Do you use a standard DS flashcard or one specifically for 3DS?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...