IGNORED

iOS 11 will kill 32bit apps & games

Chris.

Is it a case of hitting the recompile button (hark at the non developer here) and republishing or not as straightforward? Thing about this though is where is the incentive for a developer especially if they're no longer publishing/active etc. 

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Pinball Fantasies makes the cut. 

The Impossible Game on the other hand. I've still not beat level one and then they're taking it away from me???!!!

So as it says in yon Guardian article, in iOS 10.3 you can get a list of your apps that are 32-bit only, and will consequently cease to be supported once iOS 11 comes out. It's under Settings > General > About > Applications.

If you do it on an iPhone 5 it just lists every single application. :lol:

Looks like DoDonPachi, Bug Princess 2, and Crazy Taxi aren't going to work, which is a bit of a fucking pain. If Xcom stops working on my iPad, I will be super-annoyed, it's the only game I play on it and absolutely perfect for the format.

This happened when things moved from ios6 to 7. So many apps no longer worked, but many were updated quickly.

Main issue now is devs who can't, or can't be arsed to update. Or don't exist any more.

Bookworm :(

@Fletch Disc Drivin is not on the list so should be ok.

Thankfully Carcassonne & Lost Cities are fine :D

The Tweetbot, Youtube Capture & PhotoPen apps I use won't be though which is a shame, can't see any of these getting updated.

I compiled my own list a few weeks ago, based on which apps showed the 'this app may slow down your ipad' error message when opened. According to that, there are a hell of a lot I'm going to lose. I've got a lot of board and card games, and those are particularly bad, as they're normally from small developers. Out of 75, 37 of them are going to stop working. There are a few big names in there too, like Small World and Lords of Waterdeep.

Hopefully, this list being easier to access might galvanise some into action, but I suspect I'm going to have a lot of free space on my ipad after I finally upgrade to iOS11. Especially if ComicRack doesn't get updated.

33 minutes ago, gospvg said:

The Tweetbot, Youtube Capture & PhotoPen apps I use won't be though which is a shame, can't see any of these getting updated.

Tweetbot 4 seems fine, it's not on my list - are you using an older version?

Otherwise I have a bunch of kids' apps unsupported, and the only other ones on my phone I'm bothered about are XCOM and Magnetic Billiards (though I suspect there may be more on my ipad, will have to check later).

Just done my list. Not loads, but naturally the only games I play on it are those that'll die. Harbour Master, Flight Control, Mr AahH!.

Also, the Logitech touch mouse which I use all the time, Recordium, and Speccy Tape :(

Might just stay on iOS 10.

16 hours ago, Chris. said:

Is it a case of hitting the recompile button (hark at the non developer here) and republishing or not as straightforward? Thing about this though is where is the incentive for a developer especially if they're no longer publishing/active etc. 

Sort of, but any given application might have dependencies on any number of third party code libraries, which may be pre-compiled binaries. If the binaries are not available for the 64-bit architecture, you could be looking at a considerably bigger and more time consuming piece of work.

4 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Sort of, but any given application might have dependencies on any number of third party code libraries, which may be pre-compiled binaries. If the binaries are not available for the 64-bit architecture, you could be looking at a considerably bigger and more time consuming piece of work.

Plus this is where things like Unity, which we use, can make it more of a pain.  Updating to 64 bits can mean using a new version and Unity updates regularly change how things work.  And then there's any code you've got from the asset store, if they've not been updated for newer versions then you'll have to replace them (this is just a version of the binary/library problem mentioned above) but there are a few big ones that have stopped updating.

6 hours ago, _Pow_ said:

Apple remove support for an Edge 10 but we should definitely continue to buy non-physical games. Yes 

You would still be stuffed if it was a physical piece of media.

It's not the first time Apple have thrown an API under the bus and I doubt the last. The risk we take playing in their walled garden.