Jay Rayner reviews Le Cinq, Paris

Professor Rob

7 hours ago, Tourist said:

It feels to me very much like the good things he says are written to provide a pretext for the drubbing - and in any case they pertain entirely to the nightclub aspect of the nightclub he has visited (and as a review of a nightclub it's awfully written and as a nightclub it sounds awful to anyone who isn't a cardigan-wearing pompous restaurant reviewer).

I don't recognise him from your description. The "cardigan-wearing" dig is lost on me. "Pompous" is a loaded word. He knows his stuff and speaks his mind. Some people call that pompous, I certainly don't.

Here's a video of him talking about his piano playing. He's frequently self-deprecating and doesn't wear a cardigan even once

Changed days when people think Jay Rayner is pompous, compared to Gill or Meades he's quite considered and earnest. Although you could argue their invective filled take downs better fit an era when food media (all media) wasn't long past the point of parody. Hard to beat the time Meades reviewed a Planet Hollywood, slagging off the staff, customers, decor and everything else only devoting a single line to...

"The food, incidentally, is crap." :lol:

I dunt think he's that pompous. His reviews are overwritten (that's his style, I just don't like it generally) and I've made a point of going to a few places he's recommended that have been very disappointing. 

I like him the best out of the celebrity judges on master chef and I don't think he's dishonest. 

I don't mind Jay Rayner – he's an entertaining writer, and his targets do tend to be the more pretentious establishments where the food doesn't quite match the price or the hype. If it's good food or good value for money, he'll say so. I like Grace Dent for the same reasons.

One reviewer I can't stand is William Sitwell, who just acts like a spoilt, petulant child most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2018 at 16:47, MarkN said:

For many years when I worked in the games industry I was a Creative Manager, and as such would get to review the CVs of artists who'd applied for a job - occasionally with a  view to hiring them for my team, usually just to whittle the wheat from the chaff so the company could just keep the half-decent ones on record. Out of the many dozens of CVs I reviewed for a job as a professional artist maybe 5% were truly great, another 25% were good enough, and another 60% were varying degrees of bad. The last 10% were truly awful. Not just bad - absolutely piss-poor, far below GCSE level, utterly wretched. They had no business sending them in, but they did so to try to win a well-paid job - either deluded or chancing it.

I've hired developers in my time, my favourite one remains the woman who when asked to take a programming test said "Oh I don't code, I expect my team to do that".

In an interview for a senior developer.

• 7 months later...

I couldn't find a general restaurant reviewer thread, so though this was the best place to post this.

A really interesting (and sad) article talking about the responsibility restaurant reviewers have towards the businesses they review.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest?fbclid=IwAR0cv7kM1Ta0t4CvUoEbMGLOvzjIGXBoMZaN3CEUVzMdD0YXTJMpPLGNZv8

• 2 years later...

It's been a while, but Jay's reviewed another absolute stinker - the Polo Lounge at the Dorchester:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/aug/15/the-polo-lounge-at-the-dorchester-hotel-dismal-food-at-eye-popping-prices-restaurant-review

The absolute state of this, yours for £38: 

1629031006884~2.jpg

Also, I went back to the article in littlelegs' post above and an editor's note has been added that is quite something.

2 hours ago, Dapple said:

It's been a while, but Jay's reviewed another absolute stinker - the Polo Lounge at the Dorchester:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/aug/15/the-polo-lounge-at-the-dorchester-hotel-dismal-food-at-eye-popping-prices-restaurant-review

I had this saved up in a tab, but had forgotten about it, so thanks for the reminder. Good grief - it's a beauty. The price of the wine! I've missed these whilst Jay has been sticking to positive reviews previously. 

Clearly with that place you are largely paying for the privilege of sitting there, overlooking Hyde Park, and the exclusivity and the fawning service, and so on. If you accept that at least a 3x wine markup is standard, especially in London, perhaps another doubling of that as a tax for the location isn't, in itself, that shocking. I certainly don't think it's very different from paying some ridiculous figure a head for afternoon tea, which is a common enough choice of special occasion. I wouldn't pick any of these options personally, but I really think that anyone going to this sort of place as a special treat - rather than, you know, one of the hundreds of better restaurants in the immediate vicinity - must surely have some idea of the trade off they're making.

I think it's not so much the absolute prices that are the point here as how terribly it's all been carried out. If you're charging those absurd amounts, you might as well at least provide something decent for it; turning out those dreadful plates doesn't even meaningfully increase the profit margins. And while the location might be top tier, it seems like the surroundings - a hastily assembled collection of cheap plastic, by the looks of it - are far from that. It seems absolutely fair and useful to offer a warning about that aspect, so that someone choosing this sort of thing as a one-off indulgence will at least go and overpay for something vaguely competent instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2021 at 14:40, Dapple said:

Also, I went back to the article in littlelegs' post above and an editor's note has been added that is quite something.

Yikes! What a thundering arsehole Stanich is 😳

• 1 month later...

The gold menu is blatantly just a pisstake targeted at fools willing to part with their cash, isn't it? The main menu on there looks like it's priced like any other premium restaurant selling wagyu.

Haha just read his piece on that.

Not that I could afford to darken their gold leafed doors but I'd avoid anywhere ran by someone calling themselves "Salt Bae" anyway. I mean, Salt Bae, FFS. That just conjures the picture of an utter cunt in my mind's eye*

Good on Kebab Kid though, sounds like a  great local kebab place

*Later confirmed as true following a Google

That whole ludicrous Salt Bae thing has to be some sign of the end of times - idiots are paying way over the odds for steak cos its wrapped in gold and if they're 'lucky' get their pic taken with the twat himself doing his famous salt cascade move - I don't know what this does for trade once he moves on to the next place, maybe there is a Salt Bae school like Krusty was running so he can do more appearances.

The whole thing seems driven by people spending the money to get a few likes on social media 

nusret-steakhouse-london-salt-bae_290920

I guess if the guy more or less accidentally found himself world famous after his daft salt thing went viral then all power to him for making a shitload of cash from it, as Rayner's article does say, he's not from a rich background himself and his clientele at least partly self indentifies as finance wankers.

Salt Bae is just rinsing people with more money than sense, and knows the lengths some dipshits will go to have something on their Instagram stories that's desirable within their social bubble. Fair play to him imo.

5 hours ago, The Fox said:

Salt Bae is just rinsing people with more money than sense, and knows the lengths some dipshits will go to have something on their Instagram stories that's desirable within their social bubble. Fair play to him imo.

Yep I just see it as epic trolling of that whole scene from Salt Bae. Pushing a Meme as far as you can go. Even the idiots biting like "finance wanker" in that story know the truth but are going along with it.

I'd never heard of him before the Rayner article but, having watched a couple of videos on YouTube, there surely cannot possibly be any chance that he's not taking the piss with the whole persona and, by extension, these absurd gold leaf ventures. I mean, he's only doing the first half of the Robin Hood thing as far as I can tell, but I'm still all for it.

On 17/10/2021 at 12:03, multi said:

It really is - not my local, but I’ve been in there a few times. Proper marinated lamb rather than the usual dubious elephant’s leg.

On 17/10/2021 at 12:03, multi said:

Haha just read his piece on that.

Not that I could afford to darken their gold leafed doors but I'd avoid anywhere ran by someone calling themselves "Salt Bae" anyway. I mean, Salt Bae, FFS. That just conjures the picture of an utter cunt in my mind's eye*

*Later confirmed as true following a Google

I'm pretty sure he didn't call himself 'Salt Bae' it was a nickname given to him by someone on social media. He's got a gimmick and a sense of showmanship and people are willing to pay stupid money for it. Good for him. It's hard enough to standout in the restaurant industry. If people want to pay stupid money for a gold steak, then I respect his hustle for selling it to people. The restaurant doesn't even sell real wagyu (there are very few restaurants outside Japan that do). There will always be people with more money than sense. I don't see how this is any different to paying for women to hold up sparklers and bottles of champagne in the club for thousands of dollars.