Microsoft to offer self-service refunds (Xbox One and Win10)

SteveH

41 minutes ago, SteveH said:

But think this is worth its own thread to be honest

Absolutely. Judging from the above, it sounds like it's already forced Sony's hand to improve their approach.

See, we need competition.

edit - as possibly the only person here who as paid money for Win 10 apps (e.g., BatteryX... pretty good battery monitoring tool), this would make me far more likely to give them a punt in future, if they support it.

59 minutes ago, NEG said:

This is more a move against Steam then Sony. Nice, but their efforts to undermine Steam on Win10 will get more annoying in time.

Help the consumer friendly policies will undermine steam!

this really isn't likely.

Wow. Not something I expected on console.  They've been brilliant with refunds when I've rung them up before (son accidentally bought a game on wrong account) but this is excellent. Definitely encourages me to buy digital on Xbox more readily. 

6 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yes they do. I've done it twice, no quibble. 

It sounds like you were lucky, or that they're legally required to do so in the region you purchased from, or they don't have a consistent policy. There are various threads on neogaf detailing peoples experiences with PS4 pre-orders, and typically Sony's stance is "all sales are final".

13 hours ago, SteveH said:

Please note the below conditions for requesting a self-service refund:
• Games and apps are eligible for self-service refunds within 14 days of purchase if you have less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts.
• DLC, season passes, and add-ons are not eligible for self-service refunds.
• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.

I think thats a reasonable list of conditions. Will hopefully prevent any abuse of the system.

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

I think thats a reasonable list of conditions. Will hopefully prevent any abuse of the system.

I'm not sure why the game needs to be downloaded and played before you can request a refund, though. What if you accidentally purchased something massive and couldn't get it through your bandwidth cap?

4 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I'm not sure why the game needs to be downloaded and played before you can request a refund, though. What if you accidentally purchased something massive and couldn't get it through your bandwidth cap?

Your what now?

Or what if you buy it and your 56k modem can't handle the download?

18 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Or you buy the wrong damn thing and simply don't want to wait for a 30gb+ download? It's a bizarre restriction.