IGNORED

Gaming snobbery and funny habits

Doctor Shark

I got my first console for my 11th birthday: a SNES with Street Fighter 2 and a 14" TV to play it on and, with my birthday money, I bought Super Ghouls and Ghosts to go with it. The console was a revelation and, alongside the Gameboy I'd had for a few years at that point, was responsible for getting me into gaming, which is why I'll always have a soft spot for Nintendo. 

Back in those days, when I could only get a game or two a year for birthdays or Christmas, I was a lot less picky than you'd think. I'd read reviews in magazines, sure, but often it'd be browsing the shelves in Virgin, Electronics Boutique and HMV that would lead to a purchase, usually based on the cover art and blurb on the back. This held true up until the PS2 days, I reckon. I discovered some right gems along the way and some real turds, but it was exciting and fun. 

Cut to these days and, despite being able to buy whatever I like, I've found I've become much more of a snob. This whole retro fad? Pixelated graphics? Indie games? Can't abide them. Usually don't look twice at them. Rogue likes? Shmups? Not a chance. But the strangest thing is, there is no real reason for any of this. I can't point to anything thing or even any number of things and say "this is why". There is just...Something. Something that just doesn't do it for me when it comes to indie and retro-styled titles. 

Daft thing is, I know some of them are meant to be brilliant and that I'd probably love them if I just gave them a chance, but I can't. The indie scene is alive and thriving in a wonderful way. But I just can't get on board. I see the NES style graphics, or the top-down viewpoint, and it turns me off.

What about you? Do you have any weird gaming snobbishness? Any strange gaming habits? 

You need to break the indie game snobbery, I was the same until a couple of years ago and having given them a chance a while new world of gaming has been opened up to me - Hotline Miami is pushing my all time top 10!

In terms of snobbery, I don't trust Titan players in Destiny ;)

10 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

You need to break the indie game snobbery, I was the same until a couple of years ago and having given them a chance a while new world of gaming has been opened up to me - Hotline Miami is pushing my all time top 10!

In terms of snobbery, I don't trust Titan players in Destiny ;)

Funnily enough I've played hotline Miami. I remember moaning about it to @Scruff, but it didn't stop me sitting there until I'd finished it in one sitting. 

Thing is, I can really appreciate a good bit of pixel art, but in games I find it off-putting. 

Mr. Shifty is an example. Theoretically it's right up my street, but I see the retro graphics, the top down view and go "no thanks", but I don't know why, really. I don't know if I see them as somehow lesser games, like they're only going to be a short, fleeting experience not worth my time or money. The amount of them I've got for free due to ps+ and not even downloaded!

21 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Hardcore Street Fighter / Japanese fighting game enthusiasts who refuse to acknowledge that Mortal Kombat is now actually a very robust and well made fighting game. 

I think this thread is more fun if you fess up to your own snobbery instead of dropping accusations of snobbery without a hint of irony ;)

My own snobbery would be towards mobile games. I've tried a bunch but I just don't like touch screen controls, and I don't like gaming on my phone or tablet. I'd much rather relax in front of a big screen tv in a comfy couch with a 'proper' game. Just me using the word 'proper' is snobbery, I know. But whenever someone recommends some phone game 'because you like games, right?' I will be polite about it but most of the time not even bother. Snob!

Notgames/altgames/walking sims - I usually avoid going into threads about them because I know I'll make shitty broadbrush statements and face neg storms. I do get the appeal - I liked Journey when I played it on PS+ - but for some reason my attention drifts away as soon a teased game turns out to be a walking sim. I just have this weird old-fashioned mindset of "yeah but what do you do?" and it's hard to get past that way of thinking.

I generally have an aversion to Japanese games. Obviously, you can't really generalise about the style and feel of a whole country's games industry, but there does seem to be a certain flavour and aesthetic to a lot of Japanese games that I don't really get on with. There are a few exceptions like Vanquish, Dark Souls / Bloodborne and Outrun 2, but very few of my favourite games were made in Japan, and I can't think of any Japanese developers whose work I really enjoy beyond the ones I mentioned just now. 

Games that want to be films. As in, games loaded with scripted set-pieces, 'interactive' cut-scenes and a strong focus on a linear narrative. Every time I play them I just feel like I'm wasting my time on an overlong action movie.

Which is particularly daft considering I have no problem being railroaded by games that just want to tell a story so long as they don't feel like a movie either in terms of format (hi, linear text adventures) or by telling the story in a non-linear fashion (hi, adventures and rpgs with branching narratives, walking sims where you uncover the story at your own pace).

I have a real problem with free to play stuff. I just can't get my head round the thought that any fun can be gained from a game that is primarily designed to try and take money from you after you've started playing. This is despite the fact my wife has played Candy Crush Saga for hundreds of hours without spending a penny.

Whenever the kids want to try one of these things I think "what's wrong with proper games where you pay outright at the beginning?" and then realise that makes me sound about a million, billion years old. It's just a variation of the comments my Mum used to make when I started listening to dance music.

Handheld gaming. I've had the vast majority of the consoles, in the hope I might be swayed, but I can't get into gaming on the go...If I'm not in my game room then I just cannot game properly at all.

It's pathetic.

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Handheld gaming. I've had the vast majority of the consoles, in the hope I might be swayed, but I can't get into gaming on the go...If I'm not in my game room then I just cannot game properly at all.

It's pathetic.

I have the same problem! I have an OG Game Boy, GB Color, GBA,GBA SP, NDS, PSP, Vita... and a decent variety of games for all of them. My solution is to buy the games and then play them on the telly through my pc using an emulator. For some reason I enjoy them a lot more that way! Proper controller, big screen, big sound... It's just so much nicer. When I'm on the go I'd rather read or listen to music. I'm currently considering getting a 2DS and bunch of Atlus 3DS rpgs, but I'll probably end up playing them on the telly with an Xbox One controller! :lol:

Whatever the size of the living room

Whatever the distance between sofa and TV

Whatever the angle

Whatever the size of the TV

I just can't sit back and play from the couch

I need to pull up a chair or stand 3 feet from the TV

I am not happy until i can hear the humming of the insides of the screen and feel the heat.

Yeah, that's another for me, too, although it's not a snobbery thing for me. I've owned most handhelds and I can only play them properly if I'm away on holiday and have no other access to my gaming addiction. If I'm sat at home, I'd rather just play something in the TV or laptop. Only times it has worked for me were off screen play with Wii u and now switch. Ill quite happily sit there for hours playing those on the small screen. I think it was too many years of feeling like handheld games were just cut down versions of their big screen counterparts, and all the lesser for it. I've not been seriously into a handheld since the original Gameboy. 

Games that are more than 10 hours long need to be really, really good for me to not get bored of them part way through and give up forever.

The most recent game I actually put more than 10 hours into was GTA 5 on PC.

Likewise, games which take forever to start. If I'm not playing and enjoying myself within 30 minutes, I give up. Probably the main reason I play barely any Japanese RPGs any more, they always insist on ridiculously long and boring introductions. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Thing is, I can really appreciate a good bit of pixel art, but in games I find it off-putting. 

I'm not sure if that's snobbery or just a taste thing. I personally dislike the 'high resolution detailed Flash game' cartoon style graphics of games like The Binding of Isaac or Turbo Steet Fight II HD for example. Not because I'm a snob, but it just looks very unappealing to me.

The pixelated thing is great on handhelds as far as I'm concerned, a bit less keen on big HD flatscreens. And it's being overused for sure.

1 hour ago, Oz said:

Whatever the size of the living room

Whatever the distance between sofa and TV

Whatever the angle

Whatever the size of the TV

I just can't sit back and play from the couch

I need to pull up a chair or stand 3 feet from the TV

I am not happy until i can hear the humming of the insides of the screen and feel the heat.

Same for me, though I think that's partly down to my terrible eyesight and any game that requires you to see threats from a reasonable distance (or read small text) isn't really suited to sofa play for me. 

Any western RPG especially the likes of Skyrim, Baldurs Gate, Ultima etcetera.

All old time Dungeons and Dragons (or Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, probably) and Ye Olde English and that is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I have the impression is all self important, and devoid of actual humour, and always in big empty dull countryside settings.

Also have the impression the menus always look as convoluted and confusing as possible, with super tiny icons, and probably some important background story in reams of text.

No problem with the style if it's a JPRG with anime characters though.

30 minutes ago, clippa said:

Would you like a macaroon?

PATHETIC_SHARKS_VIZ217.jpg.e8802e5eba2cdeeb77cdf0d753454050.jpg

"Hello, Steve ... Yeah, hold the bigger boat ... Nah, not gonna need it ... He's paddling about near the shore saying I've hurt his feelings ... Mmm ... Yeah, just gonna stroll down the end of the jetti and kick his face off ... well if he's a real doctor, he can fucking well stitch it, can't he?"

Indies and roguelikes and shmups (oh my) are my favouritist, you diss 'em, you're getting blown up, simple as that.

Did you see the way the shark was dodging those bullets, though? You can tell he plays bullet hell games.

Around the N64 era, I used to only buy games that were rated 80% or above in N64 Magazine. These days I care more about the kinds of games I like or what my friends are playing, rather than the press.

Up until recently, I used to leave a game in the drive and not replace it until it was done. "Done" was defined by either finishing the story, completing 100% of the game or when I felt like I'd seen everything the game has to offer. I tend to get bored of games pretty quickly now and only really heavily invest in something if I truly enjoy it (i.e. Witcher III) or if I feel I want to see it through to the end (i.e. Telltale series).

Nowadays, I have a couple:

- Framerate always wins. I will always sacrifice visual fidelity for tactile response. Primarily this comes from me being a game designer, emphasising functionality first. Secondly, it comes from being a cheapskate with my graphics card.

- One of each Genre. I have a lot less time these days and, generally speaking, I will always prefer to invest in a game from a given genre/experience rather than experiment with several. I will simply never play Pro Evo, purely due to how much time I spend on FIFA. I've sacrificed Titanfall 2 for Black Ops 3, Battlefield 1 for Battlefield 4, Street Fighter for Mortal Kombat, Persona 5 for Final Fantasy XV and the list goes on...

- Anime Aesthetics. Absolutely never been a fan of this and have probably avoided, for the wrong reasons, a number of excellent games because of it. However, I've been captivated by several amazing anime style games (Everybody's Golf, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon's Crown, Muramasa Rebirth) so I'm slowly coming around.

Those are just a few but I'm sure I have many more!

I tend to feel that games from and borne of arcades - mostly of the shoot 'em up variety - are Video Games, and everything else is pretty much different degrees of watered down. I truly believe that the modern gaming experience is an embarrassingly pale husk compared to what is was from the 8 to 32 bit era, and that handheld gaming pretty much kept the torch alight in more recent times. 

Despise FPSes. As a result I'm sceptical of anything with a first person perspective. They're filtered out immediately upon seeing a screenshot and only get considered with a direct recommendation. And even then they have to convince me it's something different (portal for example).

Also hate shooting in pretty much all forms. So that rules out most third person action games to go along with FPSes. And I guess probably at least 50-odd percent of tent pole triple A releases. I'm not quite so tough on this one but still needs something special for me to bother. It makes it hard to enjoy some clearly interesting games... for example trying to play through the Uncharted series for the story but I just get so fed up of the endless fucking boring shooting of people. And just as you've killed them all in an area it spawns a whole bunch more to run in. Completely inane crap.

Anything over 20 or so hours (and under 10 is much appreciated). I'll be bored after a few sittings. It's rare that any game offers something new 10 hours in. You've seen it already. More shooty, stabby, clicky or jumpy in the same world with tiny tiny amounts of uninspired story spread out over so much time won't be fun. It will be tedious. I'll want something completely different by then. As a result I finish very few games. That doesn't really bother me too much because I don't value games based on longevity but it's a shame as I think many games would be a much better experience if their basic play though time was halved.

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Hardcore Street Fighter / Japanese fighting game enthusiasts who refuse to acknowledge that Mortal Kombat is now actually a very robust and well made fighting game. 

I think the the thing that puts me off is the gore. It feels like they're trying to appeal to teenage boys but I know it's part of the series that you couldn't remove.

4 hours ago, Wiper said:

Games that want to be films. As in, games loaded with scripted set-pieces, 'interactive' cut-scenes and a strong focus on a linear narrative. Every time I play them I just feel like I'm wasting my time on an overlong action movie.

Which is particularly daft considering I have no problem being railroaded by games that just want to tell a story so long as they don't feel like a movie either in terms of format (hi, linear text adventures) or by telling the story in a non-linear fashion (hi, adventures and rpgs with branching narratives, walking sims where you uncover the story at your own pace).

Absolutely this. In a game with an amazing story I can handle it, but I've only ever played one or two games with great stories. I generally skip cutscenes in most games so games that are all story feel awful to me. David cage games being literally the worst.