rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Fallows

Quake 3 Arena / Unreal Tournament (Wednesday evenings, 8pm - 10pm GMT)

I managed to score a Quake Champions beta invite. It turns out that the game runs like a slug for me, even when the graphics are turned down to 2004 levels. :( So sad. However this did start a familiar fire burning inside of me. So, yesterday I managed to fit in installations of both Quake 3 Arena (running ioquake3) and Unreal Tournament (GOG/Yaaarrr) whilst knocking out some pitches for work. That's how easy it was to get up and running.

Anyway, wow, what can I say? Both of these games look absolutely fantastic when played at modern day resolutions. They look just like you remember them. What's more is that they still play like absolute liquid gold.

Who would be up for a weekly get together on these classics? It would be immense if we can get a regular group going as these games deserve it, and there should be no excuses when it comes to having adequate hardware. :) One issue I have is setting up a server... I might need some help from someone running a Linux environment, or if anyone knows of any other solution such as a free virtual server (I used to use AWS for DOOM, but my trial expired) that would be grand. There are plenty of servers we can jump on however I think we'd prefer a private RLLMUK space with traditional game settings.

-------------

Server address: humdrum.hopto.org on port 27960

ioQuake install guide and other stuff, such as screen res + AA setup (I also recommend setting FOV to 115): http://wiki.ioquake3.org/Players_Guide
OSP mod (just extract the full zip into the ioquake folder, so that osp folder sits next to baseq3 folder): http://www.orangesmoothie.org/tourneyQ3A/

I was getting a "Hunk_Alloc failed" error on some maps, to resolve this go into "AppData\Roaming\Quake3\baseq3\q3config.cfg" and change "seta com_hunkMegs" to 256.

• Upvote 1

Sounds fun. I occasionally play the current Unreal Tournament which is still Alpha, I believe, but it's great fun. Used to play UT2004 although by the time I got on it there were very few servers and everyone playing could dominate a game with their eyes closed. Best fun I had was when a group of us on IRC used to play Rocket Arena for Quake III. That was just superb. Even original Quake is still really playable. I'd also like to have a go at the original Team Fortress. Should say straight off I am not some FPS adept, it's just purely for fun.

• Upvote 1

I tried the more populated UT servers today and they are filled with aimbots and invincible people. :( We're definitely going to need a server setting up somehow.

How about Q3A?  I've got that on Steam but I remember there was some sort of problem with getting the Steam version to play nicely with servers or something, years ago.  That's very vague, I know, but something was up with it.

If you end up go the quake route I'd be very interested. just the mention of this sure brings back memories of Q2DM1 and Q3DM6! got me going back looking over old quake2 and quake3 videos!

I've got both installed. Had a quick round of Q3A with my mate this afternoon on an empty public server which took me ages to find. 

Getting a private server set up for Q3A requires someone with a Linux environment.

8 hours ago, humdrum said:

you can try humdrum.hopto.org on port 27960 and see if it works.

It just keeps trying to connect. I let it run up to 24 and got nothing.

Have you set a server up or something? You're a fucking legend if so. This will be the start of something big!

I've tried to quickly while i was watching TV didn't configured anything such as TDM or duel, just followed the guide and run, If you can't connect I'll another look, 

• Upvote 1

Think I forgot to open a port on virtual machine itself. I had opened one on the firewall but checking it just now I couldn't connect locally.

Open the port and can connect now if you get a chance give it a try and let me know how it runs.

Well that was exhilarating! I'm sweating buckets right now!!

Thanks for setting that up, mate. We definitely need to get more bods on this. So much damn fun, and it hasn't aged a day.

So strange playing that again, great fun but so strange. plunged so much time into q3 and q2. i'll leave the server up and running if people want to give it a go.

might look at seeing if I can do anything with Rocket Arena and CTF, was rocket arena q2 or q3? 

6 minutes ago, humdrum said:

So strange playing that again, great fun but so strange. plunged so much time into q3 and q2. i'll leave the server up and running if people want to give it a go.

might look at seeing if I can do anything with Rocket Arena and CTF, was rocket arena q2 or q3? 

It was all of them, wasn't it?

I think a FFA with standard map rotation would be nice if more than two people want to play. :)

I'll look into another AWS trial at the weekend (the sign up is a slog...). Although I'm not sure if I can get a Linux virtual server out of them.

Well see if there is a need for it first, if there are only a couple of players or if there are loads of players if the VM can handle it then just let it ride. 

Was strange seeing the default match console might see if there is one of the mods about for it, 

I've restarted the server and set it to allow voting if anyone wants to give it a go. just might need to look at sorting out a password to join it, I am sure that will be in the manual somewhere just need to find it.

• Upvote 1

Yeah get a password on it. I've been in perfectly friendly matches with mates in the past that got invaded by the "we need to dominate" trolls.

So can I use the version of Q3 on Steam? Might give it a go Wednesday evening.

• Upvote 1

The Steam version should work fine, although I don't know how well it's modernised. This ioQuake has updated OpenGL support and all that, it looks really sweet at 1080p with multi-sampling. :)

Is that a source port? I would imagine it's open source these days. Will have a look.

Actually I used to play quite a bit of Quake Live.  It wasn't quite Q3 but as near as damnit in a browser. Had many a fun night on that.

EDIT: https://ioquake3.org/ - sounds like this is the one to go for over Steam Q3 which I assume hasn't been altered.

That's the software that's running on the server, 

If I get time tonight I'm going to look at putting OSP on it as well. 

Makes me miss q2dm1 

ioquake with the up-to-date OpenGL for AA/multi-sampling looks so sweet. I've also set my FOV to 115.

I've got a couple of real life friends I'm going to try bring in if that's okay? I reckon we'll need the numbers anyway. I might even make a thread for this in discussion.

What time shall we make it tomorrow? :)

Just hopped on to see if it worked. It didn't dl the mod right so all I could see were these white squares, very odd. Trying to dl the files again. It went to -25% for some reason!

Stops at 32mb of 35mb, I then hit ESC and it starts plaing with wonky textures. Hmm.

It'll take us all a few sessions. :) I got bum-raped by humdrum yesterday, and I can't believe he pulled that back to level just now.

I was out of breath playing that last match, Christ. So much fun, even with just the three of us.

I can get a guaranteed extra buddy on this tomorrow, with maybe another two in the pipeline. I'll post in main discussion I think.

Been looking at how to set a password for the server yet everything that seems to get mentioned online doesn't appear to work. if by some chances its because I am local to the server, the password is "rllmuk".

tried

g_password

g_needpass

setu osp_password

I'm sure i will get it in the end.

I'm more of a Quake guy, played a lot of DM and TF back in the good old days of Wireplay. God, it cost me an arm and a leg – I was about 15 when a 400 quid quarterly bill arrived. Ouch. Thank god I had a weekend job by then.

I've got Darkplaces installed on my Mac, which runs like a dream. Q1 is still a great, pure, visceral single player blast too. If anyone fancies some Q1 DM I'd be well up for that.

I'll install Q3A too, and join you guys. It's a bit of a time diff between UK and Aus, but might work. 

I was crap at UT.

• Upvote 1