rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
robdood

I don't care if you hate Jim Sterling. You should watch the Jimquisition.

I agree with most of his points but I still find his videos unbearable at times.

Really hate the comedy voices he does when quoting "TRIPLE EEEEEEYYYYYYYY" company representatives, "android wilson" etc. It's just annoying to sit through.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

People like being angry on the internet - and agreeing with other people who are angry about similar things - so I can see why people watch the videos. His appearances are very predictable though; I'm not subscribed to Jim's YT channel or social feeds but if you follow gaming news to any extent you can kind of know when something's going to be covered by him in a future video.

If he made this video based on Gears mtx he is kind of right. There  have already been enough items to spend maybe 100 pounds on it so far. Ive spent around 40 pounds but that was more in a spirit of supporting the game. And its nice how they sign off a purchase in the store by saying «thank you for supporting Gears!» and not «transaction complete» or some generic line. 

Because thats what a business model that Gears 5 have been launched into relies on, and the alternative is to pay for the traditional license at a high price plus a season pass with the rest of the game. Plus plus. I dont mind paying for new characters and shit when they are as well made as they are here - and I dont mind subsidising this or any other game so other players dont have to.

Im pretty sure Halo Infinite is going to have the same kind of battle pass + mtx system - although they arent really micro at this point. Some of the stuff costs 14.99 a pack to buy.

So its kind of true that Microsoft are all up in this kind of business and its hard to make the argument that its a consequence of having a game launch for free on a subscription service because you have the same in game store even if you bought the game at full price. Thats a problem caused by having two different business models interfering with each other.

I havent watched this video though, just going by the headline.

18 hours ago, Gorf King said:

I'm reminded of various other opportunistic pieces of bullshit he's come out with such as praising the Warframe devs for making all their microtransactions purely OPTIONAAAAL and this is how such games should be done because all the microtransactions in that game are purely OPTIONAAAAL despite the fact that, if you watch his videos on said game, he quite clearly didn't do any of the insane grind required for any of the shit he was using to play the game to the point he did before doing his meaningless review because, hey, why not, it's all purely OPTIONAAAALLLL. He got it all given to him and/or bought it via microtransactions.

8 hours ago, K said:

Like, he rails against microtransactions, but signed off his Apex Legends piece by saying he’d bought £25 worth of in-game currency because he liked the game. Not exactly voting with his wallet there.

Psssst.  It's because those two games are free to play, that he thinks they're MTX done 'right'. 

Either I haven't made the point very clearly or you didn't read it very carefully. His position on something being 'optional' is incoherent. Merely restating it doesn't make it coherent, and if that isn't his point, why restate it constantly in an irritating voice? 

On another matter, his view on what the game I referred to is actually like for people who don't splash out a lot on MTX is somewhat undercut by what he'd obviously bought/been gifted with whilst playing it, because I can assure you that definitely impacts the experience, especially when it comes to grinding. It's quite easy to say something is 'optional' when you've literally never done without it. And equally easy to evaluate something as being 'the right way to do it' when you've never not had all this optional stuff to enhance your enjoyment of the game. I can break that down for you in terms of his WF review, but I'm fairly sure it'll bore everyone.

• Upvote 1

I seem to recall asking Rudderless about this once, and apparently journalists who are reviewing F2P games tend not to be given in-game currency. They either buy it out of their own pocket or just do without. 

He may well have bought all the stuff himself. But he equally well may have been gifted it by other players, principally because he's a YouTuber. When SkillUp was playing through WF before his reviews, if you watch any of his streams you'll see him spending a lot of time each broadcast unpacking all his latest gifts from well wishers hoping to enhance his experience. That's part of what forms one's opinion of the game - a real friendly community with no over-the-top need to grind - and indeed, if one allows it, ultimately one's review. Of course, that's not the usual experience of the everyday player*.

* Before I am beset by WF vets protesting this, I have to add that I did come across some very generous players while playing Warframe myself, and it is generally a community very supportive of new people to the fold. But, again, that's really beside the point when trying to assess the impact of MTX on a game, how 'optional' they are, and what the experience of the game is like without buying MTX, how they are sold and marketed, etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orbital2060 said:

Because thats what a business model that Gears 5 have been launched into relies on, and the alternative is to pay for the traditional license at a high price plus a season pass with the rest of the game. 

Gears 5 is still available to purchase at full price though. Gamepass has been billed as a move to a Netflix-for-games model, it's not sold as a hybrid of monthly subscription plus micro-transactions to make it viable for the publishers.

The real alternative is to pay for the game, and for the publisher to support it with free post-launch content - no season pass or micro-transactions. Microsoft can afford to do that, especially if the goal is to encourage player retention, "engagement" and goodwill toward their platform. Season passes, DLC and micro-transactions have become so normalised that gamers seem to think there is no reasonable alternative and that the only choice is the lesser of N evils.

It's the same with paying for online play - why is that "normal" when it's not the norm outside the console walled-garden? What exactly do we get for the money? Free games? What if we don't want them, can we play online for free? No - because the free games are just there to justify the ongoing pay-to-play online nonsense that Sony and Nintendo have now aped. On the Xbox you can't even play free-to-play games online without Gold, like some terrible hangover from when you needed Gold to use Netflix.

I don't think you can possibly argue that there should be only a binary model - either pay £40-50 for a game and get all future and optional content free, or get the game for nothing and have MTX. No in between. Because that's just far too rigid - you'd never get some of the great DLC and (yes) optional additions that we've had in many games if by paying for the game you obliged the publisher to 'support it with free post-launch content' and nothing else, nothing paid-for. Often you simply wouldn't get free post-launch content at all, at least none of any real worth. And, conversely, just because a game is free to play doesn't mean the MTX system is always fair, or that it works, or that the game is any good without it. The game may often be dross and cynically (or, if you prefer, craftily) made so that you can't help but spend cash on shortcuts to make it tolerable.

Then there's what the MTX actually gets you. Is it a set item, or a loot box with a random one, i.e. gambling? Are you paying for optional DLC, and what can you still play if you don't buy that? Is it cosmetic stuff or buying power, or additional content or a short-cut through an existing grind that is otherwise punishingly hard? 

I think there's all sorts of nuance in the pricing models of games that some arguments completely fail to capture. It's definitely not a binary situation - because ultimately you're talking about capitalism here, and the aim of that is ultimately profit, whichever way you slice it. And some commentators who try to reduce it to the EVIL/GOOD model are not only being unrealistic deliberately for views - because hyperbole sells too, funnily enough - they're not actually providing a very useful analysis of the situation.

I'm not saying it's binary, rather that our gradual acceptance of DLC, MTX and season passes has fuelled and normalised them to be the only choices. Post-launch content could be free, but we've shown publishers that they can charge for it and now in the worst cases they strip it out during development so we can pay again for it later. But one thing is certain, we will pay for it in all but a small number of cases, because as you say, that's capitalism.

Gears 5 isn't only available via Gamepass and made viable by MTX. It's available for £50 or so if you want to own it or don't want Gamepass. It's up to the publisher how much money they want to make on top of the initial sale price - all the extra optional costs aren't just keeping them afloat, they're literally swimming in cash at Activision and EA. They absolutely could do additional content for free, but they won't, because profits.

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

I don't think you can possibly argue that there should be only a binary model - either pay £40-50 for a game and get all future and optional content free, or get the game for nothing and have MTX. No in between. Because that's just far too rigid - you'd never get some of the great DLC and (yes) optional additions that we've had in many games if by paying for the game you obliged the publisher to 'support it with free post-launch content' and nothing else, nothing paid-for. Often you simply wouldn't get free post-launch content at all, at least none of any real worth. And, conversely, just because a game is free to play doesn't mean the MTX system is always fair, or that it works, or that the game is any good without it. The game may often be dross and cynically (or, if you prefer, craftily) made so that you can't help but spend cash on shortcuts to make it tolerable.

Then there's what the MTX actually gets you. Is it a set item, or a loot box with a random one, i.e. gambling? Are you paying for optional DLC, and what can you still play if you don't buy that? Is it cosmetic stuff or buying power, or additional content or a short-cut through an existing grind that is otherwise punishingly hard? 

I think there's all sorts of nuance in the pricing models of games that some arguments completely fail to capture. It's definitely not a binary situation - because ultimately you're talking about capitalism here, and the aim of that is ultimately profit, whichever way you slice it. And some commentators who try to reduce it to the EVIL/GOOD model are not only being unrealistic deliberately for views - because hyperbole sells too, funnily enough - they're not actually providing a very useful analysis of the situation.

Randomised lootboxes are unequivocally bad, regardless of any other pricing structure. They are morally wrong, on every level. 

Otherwise, I think a lot of the rest of your argument is fair.

5 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

Ive spent around 40 pounds but that was more in a spirit of supporting the game. And its nice how they sign off a purchase in the store by saying «thank you for supporting Gears!» and not «transaction complete» or some generic line.

;)

433b3ade8aececa79b5b49a0f4574af1.gif

I never really liked dlc and microtransactions but hey-ho at least you can choose to buy it or not and you know what you are getting.  I have bought some dlc in past and allow my son to buy some for various minecraft maps etc.

I see no value to loot boxes i.e. random stuff you pay for and would like to see the back of them - I haven't purchased any of that and won't. It also preys on kids and is gambling - the pressure and encouragement to get the "best stuff" will always work on a kid.

F2P games I haven't really played much of - that sort of game isn't my "bag" anymore.

Actually when I wrote this on the last page

"It doesn't help that his more recent output is the smuggest "I was right ALLLLLLL along" bollocks that I have ever seen. He acts as if he was this lone crusader but that just isn't the case. There has been to and fro on these forums and all over on DLC, then microtransactions, then season passes and then loot boxes. A constant debate with strong voices on both sides. "

I was thinking of that very video. Pointless video as far as I can see, makes one small point that simply adds to identical points already made and countless minutes of "I told you so".

I used to enjoy watching his actual videogame reviews and related content... Even the asset swapping ones (until they got tedious and repetitive). 

Buckle up, the latest episode takes a new twist, it’s a rally against micro transactions, how dare they not give us all the hats, abominable.

• Empathy 1

37 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Buckle up, the latest episode takes a new twist, it’s a rally against micro transactions, how dare they not give us all the hats, abominable.

As I wrote in the Ghost Recon thread: There shouldn't be a reason to pay in order to spend less time playing a game you have bought. Creating unnecessary grind just to sell you stuff for money is in your own words, abominable. It's a douche move. 

• Upvote 2

I mean, we need regulation. And he's right, it's all shit. But we need regulation.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Thing is if he keeps banging on about the same thing it becomes white noise and people stop paying attention. Like I have.

Aye, I get that. On the other hand though. If he decides to stop, do we all start to accept it as the norm and allow the shitty practices to take over?

I agree though, he needs something else to focus on also. Almost a shame the Steam Greenlight stuff had to end, that was always enjoyable. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I agree though, he needs something else to focus on also. Almost a shame the Steam Greenlight stuff had to end, that was always enjoyable. 

There's still loads of absolute tosh getting released every week all the same. I wish he'd cover some of it :)

3 hours ago, Flub said:

There's still loads of absolute tosh getting released every week all the same. I wish he'd cover some of it :)

Cant wait for the sequel to Candice DeBébé's Scandalous Secrets.

11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Thing is if he keeps banging on about the same thing it becomes white noise and people stop paying attention. Like I have.

Same, it just reaches a point where I can't be arsed watching another 15 minute video from him which is all but identical to all the other 100s of videos he's done on the topic and I just stop caring. Let's be honest we all know the talking points before even watching a second of these videos nowadays. You can get all you need from the thumbnail and then imagine the rest of the video was compiled through a random generator of stock Jim phrases and talking points.