Panzer Paladin out now! (A Tribute Games thread)

MW_Jimmy

As is usual I had a look on the forum for a suitable thread to add my thoughts on Curses N Chaos, and found nothing, so I thought I would start what will likely become a general Tribute Games thread. I don't expect this thread to be popular (at all) but I really wanted to express my love for this studio.

Tribute Games are a very small development studio that have quickly become one of my favourite developers. They have a knack of making games that have just the right blend of old style gameplay and up-to-date game design mechanics, and will often bring together genres in ways that have not been seen before.

Curses N Chaos

Curses N Chaos is a single screen brawler in which enemies appear in fixed patterns of 10 waves before having to fight a huge boss. Despite my initial expectations of it looking and sounding far too simplistic, I'm obsessed with its design, the depth the game offers and my desire to get better. Top reasons why I love this game:

1) All the enemies have learnable and simple movement patterns. Individually they are not particularly dangerous, but the fun is how to deal with 5-6 of these in a particular screen setup. I really like that some of the enemies use exactly the same move set as Splelunky such as the Skulls (same as Bats) and the Frogs (same as Frogs)

2) Single screen games are not really something explored in modern games, or even other retro-styled indie games. This simplicity of setup allows for something called 'crowd control' whereby you have to deal with threats in a certain order or time limit, less they become overwhelming (a clear difficulty spike occurs at level 2 if you haven't mastered this). It reminds me of Streets of Rage in this regard, even down to the danger of exploring the very edges of the playspace in case there are enemies lurking just off-screen.

3) Combo scoring system - I love any games that score in an exponential way and this is no exception. Early play will concentrate on just beating the levels, but the real game lies in not taking any hits to keep the combo meter running. Neatly you can keep the combo going by dancing/twerking by pressing the down on the dpad. Money drops increase in value through higher combos also.

4) Tight controls - this game would be nothing without this, but the precision you are given through the movement set to both cover ground and thread the needle through enemy patterns, gives the game the depth needed. Item management plays a huge part in the moment-to-moment gameplay and 'crowd control' techniques.

5) Amazing art direction, animation and music. All of the enemies are easily recognisable and the main characters are NeoGeo Pocket-esq designs that are amazingly well animated for something so small, and contrasts nicely with the large boss sprites and Grim Reaper.

I made a quick video showing off some of the above. Curses N Chaos is free on PS+ this month still so you should give it a go if all of the above sounds like something you would like, and you have some free time.

Flinthook

Flinthook was released today and has all the hallmarks of a Tribute game. It's their first game with procedurally generated levels of connected single screen rooms (like Binding of Isaac), with the main mechanic of the game being the movement and control of a hookshot. A fully upgradable skill tree underpins the game which I expect will allow for highly customisable load-outs catering for different playstyles. Video below explains most of the general gameplay loop:

I've got a physical copy on the way to me and I can't wait to get started!

Tribute Games Releases

2010 - Ninja Senki

2011 - Wizorb

2014 - Mercenary Kings

2015 - Curses N Chaos

2016 - Ninja Senki DX

2017 - Flinthook

2020 - Panzer Paladin

I've been following them since Ninja Senki first came out, but was ultimately disappointed by that game, then Wizorb and Mercenary Kings. Found them all very flawed, even if they're pretty nice looking.

I'll give Curses 'n' Chaos a go because it's sitting on my PS4 now, but between the letdowns and the fact that almost all of their games have turned up on PS+ eventually, I'll need some convincing to buy Flinthook.

Mercenary Kings was the first game I really took to, but I can understand it's flaws and why people will have not liked it - it was heavy on collection and repetition (Monster Hunter influence),when I think most people expected a simple side-scroller.

Wizorb was their first game I played and I thought that was just okay. Always felt a little bit awkward in its mashup of genres.

Flinthook I suspect will be slightly flawed aswell, but the hook-shot mechanics (and aforementioned art and animation), will likely pull me in.

Gave Curses 'n' Chaos a go just now. I like it!

Initially thought it was a bit basic, but then died to some skeletons a few waves in because I underestimated them. Second attempt went better and reached wave nine, but those crabs that launch out of the ground are somewhat difficult to keep an eye on when you've got murderous crows and flaming skulls dive-bombing you.

Will return to it after work, I reckon.

Thanks for the delayed +1 pos! ;)

I'm glad you gave it a go and enjoyed it. If only one person checks out Curses N Chaos then I feel validated in making this topic - it's not a particularly heavy going game and it's something Ill continue to boot up and try to get better at for a good while.

• 1 year later...

New game announced. Looks neat.

Panzer Paladin

TAKE UP ARMS! Hop in the Paladin power armor, seize melee weapons from the demonic invaders and dish out a taste of their own medicine!

- An engaging action-platformer with fun and intuitive swordplay!

- Take control of the mighty Paladin power armor or eject and play as the small but swift Squire pilot!

- Robots meet demons! Crush the forces of the occult with the power of cutting edge technology!

- Use weapons profusely: wield, throw, or shatter them!

PanzerPaladinIllustration.png

screenshot05_correctionsBIG.png

SquireWhipSwingBIG.gif

• 1 year later...

This looks magnificent.

NES influenced modern action games have become one of my favourite genres in recent years, despite the fact I never had a NES. I've never played anything from Tribute but I've been seeing their pixel art floating around the internet for years now and it's top-tier stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone else playing this? I've been playing it when I can over the past fortnight and I'm really enjoying it. Just two more levels to complete on normal difficulty. It's hard to put my finger on just what makes it work so well. There's not just one stand out feature, it's every part of it has a little bit of magic sprinkled over it.

The music is superb, not a single duff track. The artwork is terrific, really making use of the limited palette and  the blocky level design. The main character is incredibly agile whilst still feeling like you're helming a walking tank. The weapon system is really clever whilst not being overly showy or out of place with the retro aesthetic.

Overall, it absolutely nails what GMTK talk about in this video about 'doing retro right'.

• 11 months later...
On 09/07/2020 at 21:15, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Panzer Paladin comes out on the Switch July 21st.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/scratch_that_8-bit_itch_with_panzer_paladin_side-scrolling_onto_switch_this_month

Flinthook is one of my greatest games of all time so I’m looking forward to this.

Bump.

Did anyone play this?  Mine was delivered today.

Is it any good?

34 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

Bump.

Did anyone play this?  Mine was delivered today.

Is it any good?

I thought it was just okay, but it looks and sounds fantastic (the intro animation never got old, every time I fired it up I watched the full thing).

It's an odd game. It has the bare bones of what could have been an interesting strategy layer where your weapons wear out and you can only carry four of them and you need to give weapons up to activate checkpoints. But then I discovered it completely undercuts this by letting you restock your weapons from the pause menu about half way through the game.