More PSP & DS talk

PaB

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6087084.html

The upcoming portable's screens will be vertically stacked and can be used as one giant screen.

Last week's American press release announcing the Nintendo DS offered little information about the game system, save it would have two screens. However, a recent translation of the Japanese release trumpeting the handheld offered a few new details about the handheld.

According to the Japanese release, "the machine will adopt two TFT LCD screens aligned top to bottom," indicating the screens will be stacked vertically. The release also stated that "the two LCD displays can be used as one large screen" meaning the DS will have a form of widescreen (albeit turned on its side.)

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6087083.html

Top publisher has a dozen Sony portable titles in the works, but is still debating supporting Nintendo's handheld.

During today's earnings-report conference call, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Larry Probst revealed that the publisher has eight to 12 titles in development for Sony's upcoming handheld console, the PSP. According to Probst, all PSP titles will be launched during the company's fiscal year 2005, which runs from calendar March 2004 to March 2005.

Probst echoed the console's expected ship date of November 2004 and also gave a possible price point of between $199 and $249--lower than the expected $299. However, Probst admitted it was only "speculation on our part" and that nothing was for sure until the PSP's official unveiling at the 2004 E3.

Responding to analysts' questions, Probst admitted he has "not yet seen the PSP business model" from Sony. However, he expected the format's profit margins to be good, since PSP games will come on discs instead of the cartridges required by the Game Boy Advance. "We expect that they will be better," he said of the margins. The CEO also predicted the PSP would spark an industry shakeout. "Publishers must adopt or pass on the PSP," said Probst. "There will be winners and losers."

EA's enthusiastic PSP push stood in stark contrast to its tepid reaction to the Nintendo DS. When asked by an analyst about EA's plans for the DS, Probst demurred. "It's a technology we're evaluating, but we haven't made any decisions as to whether we are going to support it yet." To date, Namco is the sole third-party publisher that has officially announced support for the Nintendo portable, although Konami is reportedly close to signing on.

I don't want to pre judge anything, but I just cannot see how this new Nintendo product is going to change gaming, or get Nintendo more sales.

I suppose everything will be revealed at E3, but still, I really don't have a good feeling about it.

What i'm saying is I don't believe there is a gap in the market for such a peripheral. We've had this before with the Virtual Boy, 32X etc, I just see it as another silly add on.

When everyone is now interested in the PSP, PS3, Xbox 2, Gamecube followups - what is the point in releasing a possible gimmick?

But then, I suppose we don't know much about it yet.

I think it's a big risk anyway.

I don't think it's a risk cos I think even Nintendo don't think it'll sell well. I'm sure they said something like how it won't appeal to that many people. It sure won't be a handheld console in the same light as the GBA SP or PSP, at least. Not saying it'll be in the dark... it'll just be under a different light.

Does anyone remember an old C64 game called Black Hawk? It was a vertical scrolling shmup played across two screen. The first screen had a small targetting retucule that you moved about and when you fired a bomb was launched at where you had aimed - kinda like Missile Command. The idea was to destroy anything before it got past this screen. If it did it flipped back a screen to where your actual ship was and then it was straight shmup as you tried to clear the screen of all enemies and then flip back to your forward targetting screen. The DS puts me in mind of that game.

Need for Speed

Medal of Honor

The Sims

Lord of the Rings

Fifa

Rugby

Cricket

Madden

Hockey

Basketball

anyone wanna fill in the missing two blanks with another couple of EA franchises?

Harry Potter

Something James Bond

Yep.

anyone wanna fill in the missing two blanks with another couple of EA franchises?

No need - Just take the top ten selling titles of last year. And that's why no EA support is a blow for any system - regardless of the quality of the actual games.

What i'm saying is I don't believe there is a gap in the market for such a peripheral. We've had this before with the Virtual Boy, 32X etc, I just see it as another silly add on.

When everyone is now interested in the PSP, PS3, Xbox 2, Gamecube followups - what is the point in releasing a possible gimmick?

Yeah, cos stuff like the Eyetoy* must have cost Sony millions! What's the point in releasing that gimmicky hardware when there's the Xbox2 just around the corner?!!

(*Substitute as applicable, etc.)

What i'm saying is I don't believe there is a gap in the market for such a peripheral.  We've had this before with the Virtual Boy, 32X etc, I just see it as another silly add on.

Yeah, cos stuff like the Eyetoy* must have cost Sony millions! What's the point in releasing that gimmicky hardware when there's the Xbox2 just around the corner?!!

(*Substitute as applicable, etc.)

Okay fair enough. No need to be so ratty.

You surely cannot see it having the impact Eyetoy has had though.

Of course it won't have anything close to the impact of EyeToy. I can only presume that Nintendo aren't intending to produce huge quantities of this machine or that it's extremely cheap to make in the first place.

Unless they sell it at a mass market price (£30, £50 at the most, given that the proper GBA successor isn't far away) it's hard to see what purpose it's going to serve other than as a fairly limited run Virtual Boy style 'hardcore gamer' toy.

Okay fair enough. No need to be so ratty.

You surely cannot see it having the impact Eyetoy has had though.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound 'ratty'. Sarcasm overload. :ph34r:

Why would it not have the impact of Eyetoy or a similar 'gimicky' device? If it's cheap and different enough to warrant interest, then it could well be a complete and utter success, without even damaging sales or its 'rivals', because - if done right - it'll have none.

At least, I guess that's their intention. Still it's most definitely a 'games machine', so how they hope to retain originality despite this we'll have to just wait and see.

While the PSP game margins will probably be bigger than GBA's cartridge, the UMD discs are still made solely by Sony and so Sony can charge what they like and make them when they want, just like Nintendo do currently. I truly hope this doesn't happen so we can get nice £20 games.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound 'ratty'. Sarcasm overload. 

Why would it not have the impact of Eyetoy or a similar 'gimicky' device? If it's cheap and different enough to warrant interest, then it could well be a complete and utter success, without even damaging sales or its 'rivals', because - if done right - it'll have none.

At least, I guess that's their intention. Still it's most definitely a 'games machine', so how they hope to retain originality despite this we'll have to just wait and see.

Ultimately though it will be interesting to see perhaps a new way of gaming.

My reasoning for saying that it may not have the same impact as Eyetoy would be that I don't believe Nintendo have the brand recognition that Sony and Playstation 2 have. Perhaps this could be reversed in the next couple of months with the GC sales rising, but I am heavily sceptical as to whether the product will be noticed like Eyetoy was.

However I guess that's down to the quality of the product and marketing.

I have begun to realise that there is probably less of a risk than I first envisaged. If the product fails then its not like Nintendo have everything banked on it (hopefully :ph34r:), but if its a success, then like you said it could be market of their own, which means profit.

Maybe its a chance for Nintendo to get to the forefront of everything again.

I truly hope this doesn't happen so we can get nice £20 games.

...and wouldn't that be a killer USP against the GBA.

It is dreamland though - I would have probably bought 3 times the number of GBA games I have if the prices were £20.

A consumer survey has shown that typical console owners own about 7 games whereas handheld owners own only three. IMO it is due to the cost the big N charge for their titles, this sitauion will have to be rectified along with a reasonable entry price for the DS for it to succeed.