Night trap 25th anniversary edition

I unsoftmodded my switch and figured a factory reset was the best way (I'm remodding with eMMC)and forgot the save games are on the console. FFS. So I had to find this thread to go through my solution on the previous page. I was reminded that, despite history and facts, I think this is a good game.  There's a charm and an appeal, it captures a period of history perfectly. There should be a sequel that pushes the FMV game to the limit based on the better tech we have now.

I’ll be honest I haven’t played either! But they look very cool, conceptually. 

Maybe when my pile goes down a bit. 

I still love the game, it's certainly nothing amazing but it was one of the first FMV games i got on my mega cd and recall my friends thought it was amazing at the time, even if there was next to know gameplay it in.

The switch version with the realtime thumbnails makes a much better experience, if not easier game.

It's just a shame that you generally miss the story because you need to be catching Augs all the time.

Well that's why you do multiple playthroughs of course but yeah, Digital Pictures made some genuinely good stuff.

There are FMV games now, Press X to not die being a recent standout but it's the multiple rooms mechanic that makes Night Trap special even over the other DP(fnar) games that used similar.

No one here seems to be mentioning Double Switch as far as I can see, and that's also out on the Switch. For the uninitiated, it was another Digital Pictures game released on the Mega CD which is essentially a spiritual sequel to Night Trap. The videos aren't quite as schlocky as Night Trap's but there's a better actual game in there IMO.

3 hours ago, Zio said:

No one here seems to be mentioning Double Switch as far as I can see, and that's also out on the Switch. For the uninitiated, it was another Digital Pictures game released on the Mega CD which is essentially a spiritual sequel to Night Trap. The videos aren't quite as schlocky as Night Trap's but there's a better actual game in there IMO.

I had this for the Mega CD and for some reason never played it, and got it when it launched on Switch and haven't even booted it up yet.  Doh!

Did Digital Pictures make Ground Zero Texas too?

8 hours ago, Stejay said:

I had this for the Mega CD and for some reason never played it, and got it when it launched on Switch and haven't even booted it up yet.  Doh!

Did Digital Pictures make Ground Zero Texas too?

Yes they did.

• 4 months later...

Just stumbled across this.  It's really interesting!  Shows how it all fits together.  Also how much of the story I've never seen in nearly 30 years of playing this.  It's almost demonstrating what a flawed concept it is.  If you play to trap the Augers then you miss the story, but if you try to watch the story you will get a game over through not trapping the Augers.  

I don’t think it’s flawed, I actually think it’s quite clever. The game is only 1/2 an hour long, it’s designed to be played multiple times and as you play you start to build up a picture of what’s going on.

Every playthrough (at least initially) you’re learning some new, something different.

I enjoyed my time with it.