PS Plus May 2017 - TFB, Alienation and more

Parappa

1 hour ago, cubik said:

I thought Alienation had already been given away. I'm sure I've played it and wasn't particularly impressed (which was a shame as I love Super Stardust and Resogun).

Maybe it was a demo, or I could just be confused - I'm fairly certain I didn't buy it.

You're probably thinking of Helldivers.

6 hours ago, Harrisown said:

My partner bought that track from iTunes minutes after we finished that episode. She's toying around with including it in our wedding. So cheesy, so good. Tales has some of the best use of licensed music ever. (Don't spoil it by looking them up, play the game first.)

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

My partner bought that track from iTunes minutes after we finished that episode. She's toying around with including it in our wedding. So cheesy, so good. Tales has some of the best use of licensed music ever. (Don't spoil it by looking them up, play the game first.)

I loved tales. The use of music really put the cherry on top. I love it when games do that with montages n stuff.

i kinda want to play it again actually and that's even though, as we know, telltale games are really ropey.

Glad that I waited for Alienation to turn up on PS+, and although I've already played it, it's great that more people will get to give Tales from the Borderlands a spin. It's Telltale's best game by some margin.

Legit hated both Type:Rider and Laser Disco Defenders and had to turn them off after about five minutes. Just excruciatingly awful, the pair of 'em.

Enjoying Alienation. I even went and bought the Season Pass although I don't think you need to.

My only complaint is that I find the active reload annoying, it feels forced. I really liked the mechanic in Gears but in a more chaotic top down shooter it doesn't work as well for me. However I swapped reload with melee in the controls and that seems to help a bit.

34 minutes ago, Mgear said:

Enjoying Alienation. I even went and bought the Season Pass although I don't think you need to.

My only complaint is that I find the active reload annoying, it feels forced. I really liked the mechanic in Gears but in a more chaotic top down shooter it doesn't work as well for me. However I swapped reload with melee in the controls and that seems to help a bit.

That's a great idea

Thank you, and hope it helps you too. For me it's a nice remapping as R1 feels more natural than clicking the right thumb stick all the time.

Without trying to bang on about it, I just find I'm worrying more about reloads when I should be concentrating on boosting and strafing the large number of enemies on screen. I suspect weapons with larger mag sizes would help. That said it does give the game more of a slower paced feel.

Not really seeing the appeal of Aliennation, it feels like a reskin of Dead Nation, without the satisfying feeling of popping zombie skulls. The weapons don't have any heft or impact at all. 

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I've never played a Borderlands game, but that first episode of Tales was fucking excellent. :)

You don't need to have, really. All they have in common is the setting, the style and the humour, plus a couple of characters they will introduce anyway. 

Absolutely brilliant game, though. 

7 minutes ago, Alask said:

Is it a game or is it 'choose your own adventure' style like the walking dead one? Nothing against those, but they're not my cup of tea. Not sure if I should download or not..

Did you enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy? (The movie.) Enjoy films involving heists or con men?

I played this with no prior knowledge of Borderlands.  It's Telltale's best in my opinion.

51 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You don't need to have, really. All they have in common is the setting, the style and the humour, plus a couple of characters they will introduce anyway. 

Absolutely brilliant game, though. 

The Borderlands FPS games, especially 2, fucking wish they had the writing and humour of TotB.  I would sincerely love it if they got the writers of Tales.... to write Borderlands 3.

15 hours ago, mr_woo said:

The Borderlands FPS games, especially 2, fucking wish they had the writing and humour of TotB.  I would sincerely love it if they got the writers of Tales.... to write Borderlands 3.

I thought there was some crossovers with the writers, Anthony Burch at least. I think there's a big difference with writing a tight 12 hour narrative based game and a 50 hour fps.

I'd love a Tales from the Borderlands 2 but I'm guessing that most of those resources have gone into Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm somewhat jealous of everyone here who hasn't played it yet.

On 2017-5-4 at 01:41, Nosejam said:

Hey this Alienation is pretty good actually!

Housemarque is a great dev. What I really like about Alienation - apart from neon lasers - is the dash. Every game needs a dash.

I could never get on with Dead Nation, but Alienation is fantastic, it feels completely different and plays more like a sci-fi version of Diablo.

Big open maps, lots of random loot drops and weapon and skill trees to fill up.

It's not Diablo, in as much as there's loads less variety and build flexibility, but it might scratch that itch whilst also being a decent shooter.  But it's a bit too slow to get there.

If you see me online, I'll definitely play it with you guys!

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Does the difficulty ramp up appropriately or should I just bump the difficulty up? I did the first level and it was easy to the point of being boring.

The difficulty does bump up. I'm playing on the medium difficulty, whatever is called, and had no problems with the first level as well. Definitely starts getting harder later on with the introduction of new aliens. 

You've got to pick the correct weapon for a situation. Some stagger certain aliens but not others.

3 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Hmm. I'm going to have to grab the game now and haunt you if this isn't true.

:unsure: Well, it's Diablo-ish, with the emphasis on the ish.  It's like playing the demon hunter with guns. Please don't haunt me.