The Boxing Thread

dogsout

I'd have done exactly the same if I were in Floyd's shoes. Ortiz was the one who threw the headbutt and Ortiz was the one who ignored the last thing the referee said to them before the fight started. Protect yourself at all times. Ortiz should have been expecting some kind of retribution for the headbutt.

I do think Cortez should have put himself between the two fighters after the break. He certainly should have been looking at his fighters. He will have a lot to answer for.

I just hate anything like this that stops the fight early, be it the ref stepping in too soon, cuts or whatever. It's so disappointing not getting to see how the fight would have played out. All you are left with is 'what ifs'.

To be fair though, it really did look like it was going to go only one way. Mayweather is amazingly slick, it's so hard to land a punch on him.

Crazy end to the fight alright, absolutely abysmal refereeing, it was like in old WWF matches when someone distracts the ref while you use the steel chair to bash your opponent. The ref wasnt even looking at them! Unbelieveable. A shame too cause even tho i didnt see Ortiz winning, he had just made a nice litle comback right before the headbutt. The headbutt was as bad as the sucker punch tho, it looked like Balrogs D,U+HP move in SF4 :lol:

Again, Ortiz had tried to connect with a vicious headbutt just a few seconds earlier. If the hug was an attempt at an apology, the punch was a message that the apology was not accepted. Ortiz put himself in that situation, he wasnt helped by the referee who appeared to lose concentration at a vital time, but what Floyd did was perfectly legal. Dirty, but legal.

I have watched the post fight interviews in the ring and the post fight press conference. Ortiz seems cool with what happened, Floyd has offered a rematch. I think we might see Mayweather - Ortiz II, and I am quite happy with that outcome.

During the hug you see mayweather prepare to hit him immediately. He has done dirty shit before. The sooner he leaves boxing the better.

Also cortez has been a terrible ref for a very long time.

Exactly, he had every intention of punching him before he could put his guard up, while Ortiz was an idiot for doing what he did what Floyd did while legal was not very sporting.

Cortez was not in control at all during that period, he should have made them wait in neutral corners and clearly called time in. As it was Ortiz wasn't even aware the command to box on had been called and Floyd took advantage. I hate seeing big fights end in such a manner, every time it happens along with bad decisions and bad reffing i find my love of the sport dwindle.

He was already punished for that headbutt by having a point taken away. You don't retaliate further by then throwing two sucker punches at the guy whilst his hands are down. Not unless your a total dickhead like Floyd is, thats for sure.

He is an incredible fighter but Floyd and his whole family are an embarrassment to the sport.

• 4 weeks later...

Those of you without Sky, like myself when I haven't got Xbox Live working, can watch the Cleverley vs Bellew and Dawson vs Hopkins fights on Freeview channel 112 Saturday night. I haven't been home to check my tv and see what is actually on that channel yet though. You can also sign up with BoxNation online to watch a reliable stream of it instead of having to find one through myp2p.

edit: bollocks - it's only on free view if you have a freeview HD box from TVonics. Looks like I'll be going to the Uni library to watch it then.

Not sure I'm keen on this Box Nation idea.. they have what seems to be a good lineup but it's Frank Warren for one and it's going to be £10/month next year. So if you already have SkySports for your boxing, you're out of pocket even more so. It's not in HD either. :angry:

What a bizarre ending to the Hopkins - Dawson fight. :wacko:

Hopkins leans on Dawson, Dawson throws him off and Hopkins falls, seems to land on his elbow and cant get back up. He is holding his shoulder, his face appears to be riddled with pain and the referee scores a TKO against Hopkins. Did Hopkins take a dive? He is a fucking good actor if he did, but if anybody would have done this then it is Hopkins.