The Boxing Thread

dogsout

What's the chances of Mayweather v Pacquiao happening on May 2nd?

I'm going to be in Vegas until May 1st and may extend my trip

MGM are already asking £600 per night for the 2nd May. Do they know more than we do?

Tickets will sell out almost immediately I would imagine. You'd have to be pretty lucky or prepared to pay a small fortune

Channel 5 have picked up the Martin Murray vs Golovkin fight to show live on Saturday night. Really looking forward to this one. I like Murray a lot and think he'll test Golovkin a lot more than others. Still Golovkin is a beast and I'm looking forward to seeing him on the big screen rather than the usual shitty quality free streams I rely on.

Agreed. The fight is so far past it's sell by date that no matter what happens the debate about who was the best will remain unresolved, this answers the question of who's slipped the furthest from their peak. Floyd is 38 next week, Manny is 36 so neither of them will ruin their legacy win, lose or draw. In terms of box office it's the biggest fight since Tyson Lewis. I think it will be worth about the same in terms of legacy too.

**edit**

@ pinholestar

I think Floyd takes it on points, possibly wide. I still don't think he would have beaten the Manny Pacquiao of 2008-2011.

Edited by Nayson

I really think Pac will stop Mayweather in the later rounds! Them Maidana performances were shocking I thought. Even though Pac got KO'd against Marquez I still think Floyd has slipped more, plus Marquez looked suspect for roids in that fight, he was fucking mini tank machine looking mofo that night.

Kinda get the feeling that both Mayweather and Pac have been on the juice too.

Madness, all this talk of roids ignoring Pacquiao and his meteoric rise up the weights. Mayweather at his peak beats just about anyone I've ever watched. I'm hoping for a Mayweather win too, his boxing skills have been amazing throughout his career.

Manny and Floyd are set to make around $100m dollars at least!! Absolutely staggering figures.

It's set at $100 for the PPView in the US so I'm guessing £50/60 here? Still not bad if you have the lads round chipping in.

That's an obscene amount of money for a PPV, not even taking into account that someone already has to have a subscription to Sky in the first place. And for a fight that's 6 years too late? If boxing was in better shape generally I can't imagine they'd get away with that.

Yeah, regular PPVs are around $60 in the US, and air at a much more sociable hour. Expecting people to fork out for more than £20 for a 4/5am fight wouldn't do Sky many favours or much business, even for a fight of this magnitude.

Company I work for price boxing around $25 per fight, can't see us going above $30 even though it's Pac Man and we have a decent number of Pinoy subs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well he basically stopped Algieri if it wasn't for the refs long count if I remember? I really think Pac beats him but I also have a feeling he gets robbed or even worse that the fight is fixed for Floyd to win! Call me paranoid but with all the corruption and strange stoppages/decisions in boxing I've every right to be! If it's a fair fight and Floyd fights as poor as he did in his last 2 fights then Pac wins for me.

I'd like Pac to win, he's been the best fighter of the 21st century (to date) in my eyes and at his peak I think he'd have flattened Floyd. At the risk of sounding like a broken record the fight is so far past its sell by date that the result won't affect either fighters legacy. I'll still be tuning in of course.

Didn't catch the fight, but Kovalev flattened Pascal in Canada last night. He's another monster like GGG at the moment. Not sure who can live with him. He's got to fight Stevenson next, but after that I'm not sure where he goes. It's a huge jump up to cruiserweight (25lbs/almost two stone) and it's not exactly a glamorous division. Plenty of fights at Super Middle I guess but can he make weight if he drops down?

I'd like Pac to win, he's been the best fighter of the 21st century (to date) in my eyes and at his peak I think he'd have flattened Floyd. At the risk of sounding like a broken record the fight is so far past its sell by date that the result won't affect either fighters legacy. I'll still be tuning in of course.

I think a loss hurts Mayweather more than it does Pacquiao. If Mayweather wins the argument will still remain that he ducked Pacquiao until he was way passed his prime and the suspicion will remain that he would have lost had he fought Pacquiao in 2008 or so. Winning obviously doesn't hurt Mayweather any, but I don't think it extinguishes that argument.

Vice versa though, and the argument goes, to my mind at least, that he ducked Pacquiao until he was passed his prime and then still bloody lost (regardless of the fact that Mayweather is passed his prime too.) Floyd is coming into this as favourite and he's got his precious "0" to protect and I just think a loss damages his legacy more than it does Pacquiaos.

Maybe. An "0" isn't all that in the fight game though. Obviously it's impressive but it doesn't automatically make you the best ever. Marciano and Calzaghe retired as unbeaten world champions and I dont think either of them are up there with the very best in history. I do think Floyd is an all time great but I think Manny was better.

In completely unrelated news, I'm sleeping all of 200 yards from York Hall tonight. Never seen the place before, wish there was some boxing on to check out.

I agree about the "0", but it's something I've heard Floyd refer to as the reason he's obviously better than everyone and I think he places far more importance in it than anyone else does. If he lost that I think, inside or privately at least, it'd be a pretty devastating blow for him.

We'll see though. For something that was seemingly never going to happen it's not only 6 or 7 weeks away!

Sky have won the rights for the Mayweather Pacquiao fight. Booking price via all methods starts at £19.95 / €24.95 up until midnight on Friday 1st May, after that stays at £19.95 if booked via a remote, but goes up to £24.95 / €29.95 if booked via a phone agent.