The Boxing Thread

dogsout

13 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I enjoy that other thread "men kicking a ball for money thread". 

I have no idea why people want to pay to see these celebrity boxing matches. Hasn't Mayweather got enough money already?

He really likes money.   Actually, in the interest of being fair it's probably more like the fight just being something to do for Floyd.  He's definitely aged out of being able to fight at the top level professionally but if amateurs want to share a ring with him and they can deliver the kind of attention and financial rewards that this fight is almost certainly going to serve up then it's totally going to happen. Better Floyd go do that than end up like Roy Jones jr.  

Mayweather is all about the fame. Being in the public eye and staying relevant is most important to him, I reckon. Like @Naysonymous says he isn't capable of fighting at a high level anymore so these chumps are exactly what he needs to keep the flame alive.

Canelo huge points win. Saunders will win probably two rounds and spend the rest of his life moaning about something.

I'm hoping for a KO worse than the Canelo/Khan one. I can't think of British fighter I have ever disliked more than BJS.

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

Anybody staying up for the fight? 

I'm really looking forward to it. Got my supplies ready (lots of drink) 

Any predictions. 

I've got DAZN but will watch the rerun when I get up. 

I'm really hoping and expecting Canelo to win. Probably on points.  BJS is a good boxer but I just don't like him as a person.  Some of the stuff he has pulled over the years really has made me dislike him a lot. 

Canelo has boxed a lot of great boxers and won where as BJS hasn't fought anyone like who Canelo has.  It will be interesting to see how BLS copes with him.

Yeah Canelo should destroy him. Saunders is just a terrible person and hope he gets taught a lesson. 

I'm having a long binge session so should still be up at that time, if not I will avoid the news and pals on what's app and watch the rerun tomorrow afternoon (when I wake up) 

Going to put a few bets on. I think Canelo should finish him within 8 although my head is also saying Canelo on points. 

Will probably do group betting and put Canelo by KO/TKO in rounds 5-8

Fucking... Yassssss. 

Although that twat anaylising the fight fight who had BJS 4 rounds up....after 6.

Get fucked.  

Food to see a horrible human getting leathered. 

Who's gonna shake Canelo? Ryan Garcia? Dream fight. It I don't see it. 

Would love to see a GGG fight where Genady isnt robbed. 

@Ry I’m not sure anyone beats Canelo at the moment unless he fights guys who can just dominate him physically by moving back up to Light Heavyweight.  Even then he can probably hang at the top of the division considering how he handled Kovalev.    He’s got the undisputed fight against Caleb Plant, they can probably make that happen this year if they want it but then I dunno where he goes other than title fights at 175.  

Fun fight. And that's some sweet karma after the abuse BJS gave Dubois for "quitting" over an eye injury. For what it's worth, having watched it again this morning, Saunders really wasn't connecting with that much, despite having a lovely jab and some clever footwork. I had Canelo up by the time of the stoppage.

Canelo is just a joy to watch. It also shows just how good GGG really was in their fights and how frustrating it is that he was never given his win (s). And that was a post-peak GGG too.

Right now, I think Canelo has to be the clear P4P number 1. Maybe Inoue can challenge soon, but what Canelo is doing is just incredible. 

2 hours ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

I absolutely love Crawford and at 140, he was the man for me. But the calibre of his opponents at 147 has been questionable and a tad disappointing. A phenomenal talent though.

Yeah the opponents at 147 could've been better, but I still don't see a better P4P. I would have gone Inoue but think Donaire gave him far more than I would've expected. Not that Donaire isn't great. It's a close call.

it's not about the gate or number of tickets you can sell, hasn't big boxing always gone where the site fees are bid, traditionally Vegas to get the punters in for a big weekend, now Saudi for a bit of good old sport washing.

On 11/05/2021 at 13:57, Stigweard said:

Oh look, one of the biggest events in UK boxing history is taking place in.....Saudi Arabia :rolleyes:

It’s no surprise whatsoever.  It’s just following in the tradition of the 70s where the biggest fights were sold around the world. The Rumble in the Jungle, The Thriller in Manilla, The Sunshine Showdown were fights bigger than AJ vs Fury and they were hosted in the most unlikely of venues.

As for AJ bulking up? I guess he might think he needs the power to stop Fury.  He’ll struggle to outbox him and I figure that the longer the fight goes the more it will favour Fury, but Fury has been dropped before and AJ might feel he can stop him. 

Time for Joshua Buatsi to shit or get off the pot.  Highlight reel knockout tonight, but that Dos Santos fella was out of his depth and the fight felt like a waste of everybody’s time. 175 is stacked right now, at domestic and world level and Buatsi can’t spend another year knocking out no name opponents if he wants to be a star.