The Boxing Thread

dogsout

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Totally parking all the outside the ring character anecdotes and views and just focus on the inside the ring stuff.

Boxing (and MMA) have always had this code of massive respect for your opponent, once it's all said and done shake hands, bury the bad blood, congratulate the winner etc etc.

What Joshua did in making it all about him in the immediate aftermath of a loss in the ring, taking the focus off the winner is piss poor. It goes against one of the key fundamentals of the sport and for that alone he's to be derided, even more so bearing in mind it's the second time he's lost to Usyk.

100%. Couldn’t agree more. Mainly what I was trying to get at too. Joshua is marketed as an ambassador of the sport and a  squeaky clean role model for young kids. So he should be acting like it, talking the talk and walking the walk. It’s obvious it’s all a load of money making shite though and doesn’t come to him naturally. I’d sooner someone be themselves outside the ring and carry themselves properly inside the ring and show their opponent fair play and respect after the fight. Says more about that persons true nature than any well put together marketing videos.

53 minutes ago, Ry said:

Uysk wants Fury. 

Thats the only fight to make. 

Fury has already responded and made it clear he’ll fight Usyk next. He’s even started calling him a dosser already., which means the fight is 100% on! 😂

Right on cue, warm and cuddly Tyson Fury here, being characteristically warm and cuddly. Proper man of the people. 

We can add xenophobia to his list of top bants qualities.

On a better note, The Ring magazine has just named Usyk as their number 1 p4p fighter. The first heavyweight to achieve that since Mike Tyson! Thoroughly deserved.

"Yes but he is not tying to sugar coat it. Good on him for staying true to himself.

Joshua is the real wrong 'un for interrupting an interview blah blah blah"

This is Fury being his normal self. A massive fucking dickhead.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oracle said:

What is the point of this match? Not sure what the angle is for Fury to beat up Joshua.

They are prize fighters.  There’s a lot of money to be had in this fight, it will do 90,000 tickets at Wembley and gangbusters on PPV.   Even without the money it’s good for legacy too. If we are agreed that there are four heavyweights in this division that are head and shoulders above their peers, the fact that they are fighting each other while they are at the top is awesome.  

Pure (huge) cash-in for both men, but don’t blame either. For Fury it’s just furthering his boxing legacy; Joshua probably eyes a redemption arc, however forlorn the hope of that might be.

Can’t deny I’m excited to see a British heavyweight fight on this scale, but like most, also can’t see Tyson Fury doing anything other than toying with Joshua.

7 hours ago, Oracle said:

But Joshua isn't any good? I don't see why people would buy that fight. Sure if he'd won the belt that would make sense to unify but Tyson is going to outbox him.

Mate, people put their hand in their pocket to watch Jake Paul box a geriatric wrestler who was fresh off of a hip replacement operation.  It’s easy to hype up Fury vs AJ.  

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

But Joshua isn't any good? I don't see why people would buy that fight. Sure if he'd won the belt that would make sense to unify but Tyson is going to outbox him.

But he is good. He's a decent fighter. 

Styles makes fights. And Fury isn't invincible. 

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

FFS Joshua is an Olympic Gold medallist who would beat 99% of his division. "Isn't any good?" Fucking hell. 

This will be way bigger money wise than Fury vs Usyk. 

Its a smart move by Fury.

Still it would be funny if he got chinned.

34 minutes ago, Ry said:

But he is good. He's a decent fighter. 

Styles makes fights. And Fury isn't invincible. 

Wilder has a massive punch, Joshua brings what to the table? biscuits?

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

FFS Joshua is an Olympic Gold medallist who would beat 99% of his division. "Isn't any good?" Fucking hell. 

This will be way bigger money wise than Fury vs Usyk. 

Its a smart move by Fury.

Still it would be funny if he got chinned.

I didn’t see him improve much on his weak areas in his last fight, the fury fight will go the same way. 

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Wilder has a massive punch, Joshua brings what to the table? biscuits?

I.....oh, nevermind. 

Yeah, let's just say hes terrible. Ok then 

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'd love to see Joshua knock Fury out. Hard to see it happening, but it's not impossible. 

Fury can get caught, as Wilder has proved. However, Joshua is not as hard a puncher as Wilder, and Fury got up from all those Wilder punches. AJ might give him a test due to his size, but I can’t see him doing any better than Wilder did.

23 hours ago, Oracle said:

I didn’t see him improve much on his weak areas in his last fight, the fury fight will go the same way. 

Fucking hell. Losing twice to Usyk doesn't mean "he is'nt any good" which is what you were suggesting. Or takes away his wins over Wlad, Whyte, Povetkin, Pulev etc does it? If you can beat 99% of your division in boxing your generally regarded as "good". His performance was also far better in the rematch and showed improvement against the bloody Ring magazine pound for pound best boxer on the planet.

Fury has the size and style to beat almost every heavy in history. That doesn't make them all terrible or all no good. If thats your other measuring stick.

There is some amazingly bad takes on Joshua nowadays. He is an all time top 10 British fighter in his division from his achievements already, but that seemingly means nothing to some people.

On 13/09/2022 at 19:31, Ry said:

I.....oh, nevermind. 

Yeah, let's just say hes terrible. Ok then 

How does he win it then? big punch? unlikely. Grind Fury down? again, seems unlikely. I just don't see how Joshua can beat Fury. Take it to 12 rounds maybe and pinch it on points? That's a hell of a long shot, and you've got to somehow make sure Fury doesn't force you into a corner and knock you to the floor.

5 minutes ago, marsh said:

How does he win it then? big punch? unlikely. Grind Fury down? again, seems unlikely. I just don't see how Joshua can beat Fury. Take it to 12 rounds maybe and pinch it on points? That's a hell of a long shot, and you've got to somehow make sure Fury doesn't force you into a corner and knock you to the floor.

Joshua is a far better boxer than Wilder and Wilder nearly knocked out Fury. 

It's heavyweight boxing. A big punch is probably the most likely option for AJ.  He could get caught. As Fury has on numerous times. 

No one thinks he will outbox Fury but he will have far more opportunities to catch Fury than he did with Uysk.

Now thinking AJ isn't a great boxer is nonsense. 

Styles make fights and I honestly think it could be a cracker. 

I can't see Fury vs Joshua actually happening. This is just standard Fury self-promotion which will almost undoubtedly result in him fighting someone like Charr instead. Let's not forget that in the last two months, he's retired and subsequently un-retired three times, signed on to fight Derek Chisora, agreed to an exhibition match with Thor Bjornsson and also claimed to be preparing for a fight with Francis Ngannou. Matchroom really have no choice but to go along with this or the whole "AJ is ducking Fury" rhetoric goes into overdrive.

And if the fight does happen, I think it will be much closer than people seem to think. AJ has gone from being somewhat overrated to massively underrated as a result of the two Usyk losses. To say that AJ isn't any good is genuinely and objectively ludicrous and one of the reasons we don't get super fights. This post Mayweather notion in boxing that as soon as you lose you're worthless is so frustrating as it just means that boxers aren't willing to risk a loss anymore. Boxing has a lot to learn from MMA in that regard. Can you imagine what people would have said about Ali losing to Spinx in the current climate?

And styles do indeed make fights. No one is going to tell me that Tommy Hearns was better than Roberto Duran despite absolutely obliterating him when they fought. Was Tarver a better boxer than Roy Jones Jr because he beat him twice? Did it mean that Jones wasn't any good?

Wilder (Also quite underrated as a technician to be honest. Watch him adjust his footwork and range to setup for his KO punch over a number of rounds. It's not accidental)  is a very different boxer to AJ. Wilder's entire style is about working towards that single KO punch and while he's extremely effective at it, it's a very limited approach that is built for someone like Fury and even more so for someone like Usyk. And even then, that style nearly beat Fury twice. AJ doesn't have one punch KO power, nor does he fight like that. He's always been at his best when he throws combos and utilises a range of angles. Look at his wins over Vlad, Whyte and Povetkin. The KO's came from combination punches and unexpected shots (Uppercuts to straights thrown in bunches) and he's extremely effective when he lets his hands go and he's deceptively fast.  If AJ boxes like that, he can hurt Fury who has always struggled with that style. Don't get me wrong, I heavily favour Fury, but it wouldn't be an upset if AJ found a way to win and this idea that Fury is a God of boxing based on a trilogy with Wilder and a win over Vlad, is really odd but I suppose partly because the overall standard of the heavyweight division isn't exactly of the highest calibre. 

Let's not forget that Fury has been hurt and down many times in his career. His ability to recover is extraordinary, but he's been hurt by "small" guys like Cunningham, mediocre fighters like Wallin and he's very inconsistent as a boxer and arguably only had a couple of truly great performances against top talent (Vlad, Wilder 2). So this idea that he's this unbeatable all time great isn't justified in my humble opinion. 

Canelo - GGG was ultimately disappointing.

Spoiler

GGG looked half asleep for the first 5 or 6 rounds - eating lots of shots, to the point where I thought he was going to get absolutely battered, then started to put it together but it was all too late. Weird fight. Amusing scorecards.

Spoiler

No arguments this time. Wasn't as explosive a fight as previous fights but still a good technical fight to watch. 

All even in the trilogy fight for me. 

GGG - Draw (and that's me being very fair to Canelo) - Canelo. 

GGG at his prime was better than Canelo in his prime, no question for me. 

GGG will go back down a weight (where he still has his belts) and maybe have one last fight I think before retiring. What a fighter though, one of the best chins I have ever seen. I can't remember him ever touching the canvas in the 15 years I have been watching him. 

19 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:
  Hide contents

Father Time remains undefeated, but GGG is a bona fide hall of famer.  I don’t think you can look past Mayweather for the best boxer of his generation (and let’s say of the 2010s) but GGG was probably the scariest. 

Totally agree.