The Boxing Thread

dogsout

Listening to it on the radio (five live)

DeGale had a right strop in the post-fight interview saying " what was I supposed to do, he spent the whole fight backing off" then called the result bullshit , repeated the word despite the interviewer asking him not to then stormed off mid- interview. The interviewer said " oh he's gone"

Listening to it on the radio (five live)

DeGale had a right strop in the post-fight interview saying " what was I supposed to do, he spent the whole fight backing off" then called the result bullshit , repeated the word despite the interviewer asking him not to then stormed off mid- interview. The interviewer said " oh he's gone"

Haha!

I'm pleased to see Groves emerge with the W. He had the superior game-plan, and while DeGale threw what were on the surface some eye catching combinations, they weren't landing clean often enough.

Well done groves. They had a plan and he boxed to it very well. I had the fight by about 1 round or maybe 2 to groves. Good fight as well. Groves had the better corner and the better brain. He also wasn't bothered by cuts whereas Degale fell apart briefly when he got cut.

I thought it was going to be drawn. Not a classic but a good fight and good contest and match-up.

Worth the PPV.

I wanted Groves having followed him for a bit, but I'd of been happy to see a draw.

With the Prince Arron Fight and this in the last few weeks, I've called 2 out of 2 for the

partner as I don't bet...Both around 3/1. (this was 11/4 at skybet)

Enjoyed this tbh...don't dislike Degale or Groves, both still early on in their careers.

Hope they do re-match, Nelsons calling a quick one for the sake of Degale and Mcguigan

when they're World Champions (should that happen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlR5fQqdnyc

hpX6H.jpg

Roy Jones jr got knocked out again last night. An absolutely brutal KO too, he stayed down for several minutes after the fight was stopped.

Why wont the fucker just retire? He has destroyed his legacy and now he is destroying his health. At his peak he was one of the greatest of all time, and he is still my favourite fighter ever, but his career will now be remember for his final 10 fights rather than his first 40.

Fantastic fight. Amazing atmnosphere. Bernard is a legend! Loved the goading of each other, especially Hopkins press ups in the ring to say, 'come on young man, is this all you got?', when Pascal was slow to get off the stool.

Roy Jones jr got knocked out again last night. An absolutely brutal KO too, he stayed down for several minutes after the fight was stopped.

Why wont the fucker just retire? He has destroyed his legacy and now he is destroying his health. At his peak he was one of the greatest of all time, and he is still my favourite fighter ever, but his career will now be remember for his final 10 fights rather than his first 40.

Because he blew all his money?

Did he? He just strikes me as another old fighter who cant admit he is shot, and he surrounds himself with people who are too afraid to tell him.

Even assuming he is skint, he could easily make money out of boxing without stepping into the ring though. The media would be falling over themselves to get a name as big as Roy Jones to come work for them. If Robbie fucking Savage can get paid to talk about football then one of the greatest fighters of the last 50 years should be able to get a gig on TV in America.

I don't think people are too afraid to tell him, Alton Merkerson left him at one point as he told him he should not fight anymore. And he has done some commentating for HBO but i think he wants to be in the spotlight, Roy is just too stubborn/egotistical too accept that it's over.

• 2 weeks later...