The Boxing Thread

dogsout

I love fighters like this El Maachi fella, but he isnt as good as he thinks is he? A third rate Naseem Hamed, he doesnt have the speed or the incredible punching power than Naz had.

I was surprised with the win over Lynes, not sure how his style will gel with Witter's.

I think Witter will win comfortably, but it might be boring. Witter has always been a boring fighter, which is probably one of the reasons he didnt really get the big fights he deserved. It's a real shame he never got in the ring with Ricky Hatton.

I was at the fight last night, and the final match was insane. Even more sloppy than it appeared on TV. The crowd went mental when he was thrown out of the ring, I guess it's the boxing equivalent of "can't bullshit a bullshitter", they are both showboating and unconventional, but it doesn't seem to work when there's two of them, both rely a lot on the opposing boxer being more conventional.

Great night though, I'll definitely be heading to more prizefighter events at York Hall,.

Is there anyone here that actually goes to a boxing gym? I've always wanted to give it a go, but I'm pretty unfit and I'm wondering if it isn't something people tend to start as an adult.

I used to box as a kid, and I've trained at a few different clubs as an adult, and I'd say that there is no reason to let your fitness put you off. If you only intend to go and get fit, then it's a great place to do it. If after some time there you decide that you'd like to learn how to box, I'm sure you'll be encouraged to do so. Basically, every boxing club I've ever been to has had a nice, friendly atmosphere, and guys that lack in confidence or ability are encouraged rather than pressured. That's not to say that you don't meet some prickly characters along the way, but boxing people (particularly trainers, etc) are usually very welcoming and friendly.

I've had a shit-load of people ask me to teach them recently, and I'm beginning to warm to do the idea of starting up a club of my own.

I went when I was at school for a year or so. It was miles from my house which is why I stopped going in the end, but it was good fun when I was there. The night I went in seemed to be for the younger lads, I was in my early teens, but there were people in their 20s and 30s in the gym too.

Most of it was circuit training, I cant remember exactly how it went, but there was quite a lot of fitness work (running, skipping, squat-thrusts, push ups etc) as well as the technique work. I really enjoyed the pads and the heavy bags, I couldnt get my head around the speed bag. We did quite a lot of shadow boxing, and we would spar once a month or so. Sparring was good fun, though getting hit square on the nose really fucking hurts! :lol:

Is there anyone here that actually goes to a boxing gym? I've always wanted to give it a go, but I'm pretty unfit and I'm wondering if it isn't something people tend to start as an adult.

Its best to call up local gyms first and say you are a beginner. The standards in gyms varies wildly. The two I trained in were very friendly but very competitive and everyone in there was training for fights, be it schoolboy tournys upto guys going for British and European title fights.

Age is not really a problem. I would not walk in a gym badly out of shape though. Most places will try and push you physically when you start to see what you are made off. First time you go you should expect a tough cardio work out. Don't worry about sparring, if the place you are in is any good it will be weeks to months of training before they throw you in the ring.

How is it that Wladimir and Vitali have never fought each other? I know they don't want to, but surely they're both the number 1 challenger to each other's title, or at least were for a significant period of time. Normally, where a champion refuses to defend his title against the number 1 challenger, isn't he stripped of his title? I can completely understand why they don't want to, but I just wondered if the fact they were brothers was a special circumstance that somewhat exempted them?

Just curious really. Would have made for an interesting fight I'm sure.

If you are a challenger you don't have to fight the top guy if you don't want to. Top fighters duck each other all of the time. However if you are the title holder and refuse to fight the mandatory challenger you can be stripped of your belt. For example Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather might both be champs but if they don't want to fight each other they don't have to, but if Ricky Hatton is mandatory challenge then they could lose the title if they refuse to fight him.

I'm 25 an I just started 2 weeks ago, it was great, I really enjoyed it. Sprained my wrist though ha. It was great exercise too, was sweating like mad. The trainers were really good with me too, really helped me get things going.

My mates have just started too several weeks back and they are 25 and 28 so it is very much something you can start as an adult. You dont even have to do it to work towards a fight either. You could use it for great fitness/weight loss.

The only thing is, you will probably feel like a dick for the first few weeks cause you'll be new and wondering if you're doing things wrong and if the regular guys will notice......and laugh.

------

In other news one of the trainers where I'm at works for David Hayes team. Hes also worked for Hatton and Lewis before and various others. Anyway my friend was talking to him 2 weeks ago and ended up getting to go meet Haye, George Groves and the rest of the team the other day. The lucky bugger.

Does anybody know what the bell time is? Guadalajara is six hours behind us, so hopefully we wont have a ridiculous 4am start (Vegas is eight hours behind us) and I might watch it.

It's interesting to see that certain sections of the North American media see Ryan Rhodes as a bum and that they expect Alvarez to crush him. I'm not sure about that, but I cant see Rhodes winning on points in Mexico against a Mexican who a lot of very powerful promoters have a lot of money invested in. He isnt a big puncher, and I think Alvarez has the speed advantage. Saul on points or a late stoppage for me.