The Boxing Thread

dogsout

Does anybody know what the bell time is? Guadalajara is six hours behind us, so hopefully we wont have a ridiculous 4am start (Vegas is eight hours behind us) and I might watch it.

It's interesting to see that certain sections of the North American media see Ryan Rhodes as a bum and that they expect Alvarez to crush him. I'm not sure about that, but I cant see Rhodes winning on points in Mexico against a Mexican who a lot of very powerful promoters have a lot of money invested in. He isnt a big puncher, and I think Alvarez has the speed advantage. Saul on points or a late stoppage for me.

Yeah, I think Alvarez will have too much for him as well, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan make it a lot more competitive than a lot of people have suggested.

Well I think we can say that Alvarez perhaps isn't overrated! That was a pretty impressive performance.

It was a big step-up from last time, he looked fast and threw lovely combination punches. Alvarez also seemed to know when to apply the pressure to subdue Rhodes' aspirations after an attack.

A very good performance from a 20 year old, hopefully one of the bigger names in the division will stand-up and take him on.

Pure speculation here, but I presume De La Hoya is trying to make Alvarez into the next "peoples champion" a bit like Ricky Hatton was over here or indeed, De La Hoya was over there. He has a huge potential fan base, 100 million Mexicans and 50 million Latino's and Hispanics in the USA are probably on board just by association and if they can build on that then Saul Alvarez will be able to get any fight he wants simply because he can put the money up.

Im not entirely sure what weight his long term future is at though. There isnt really anything mouth watering at 154 beyond Angulo or Cotto. I presume Angulo will happen soon as it is a huge domestic fight with plenty of global interest. There are plenty of huge fights at 147 though. I have a feeling Alvarez might go back down there eventually, if he can continue to make the weight of course. At just 20 years of age he still has a bit of growing to do.

Im not entirely sure what weight his long term future is at though. There isnt really anything mouth watering at 154 beyond Angulo or Cotto. I presume Angulo will happen soon as it is a huge domestic fight with plenty of global interest. There are plenty of huge fights at 147 though. I have a feeling Alvarez might go back down there eventually, if he can continue to make the weight of course. At just 20 years of age he still has a bit of growing to do.

I don't think we'll see him at 147 again. He's filled out nicely at 154, and he won't get any smaller the older he gets. Sergio Martinez has also said he can still make 154 and will consider fights at both 154 and 160.

My biggest concern is that he doesn't seem to carry much of a dig at world level, loverly punch variation though. When i first saw him a few years back after reading about prospects i checked him out on youtube and didn't think he'd amount to much as he looked slow as molases, but his speed has improved immeasureably and i gotta say i enjoy watching him fight. Down the line i'd say a fight between him and Chavez jr could be a cracker and it's a natural.

Its this saturday!

Tho to be honest i am expecting it to be a bitter, boring, disappointment.

It very well could be, but i think the anticipation is what will make it exiting.

What time is the fight scheduled for in UK?

Cheers.

It starts at 8 so the fight will probabbly be on at 10ish.

Don't have a clue whos gona win that fight, thought Haye at first but now I'm thinking Wlad.

I'm almost certain that Haye will win because I've never wanted someone to lose so much.

There is a photo of him in full Ali G pose with his trainer sitting next to him in one of the articles about the fight on the Mail's website; I've never wanted to punch two people more in my life.

I really cannot stand Haye these days, pre-Harrison fight I was a big fan but he's become a total douche. I also dislike his whole "I'm doing this for the good of boxing" and his talk of Klitchkos not doing anything for the heavyweight division... this coming from the man who is planning to win this fight and then retire in October. Yeah, well done on putting the division straight there! Joke.

Theres a buildup programme on Sky where he spars with celebs like Justin Beiber, Ricky Gervais and Mickey Rourke.. stinks of him trying to get "in" with people who are hot right now so he can fulfill his desire of becoming a movie star.

He's going to win though.

I really cannot stand Haye these days, pre-Harrison fight I was a big fan but he's become a total douche. I also dislike his whole "I'm doing this for the good of boxing" and his talk of Klitchkos not doing anything for the heavyweight division... this coming from the man who is planning to win this fight and then retire in October. Yeah, well done on putting the division straight there! Joke.

Theres a buildup programme on Sky where he spars with celebs like Justin Beiber, Ricky Gervais and Mickey Rourke.. stinks of him trying to get "in" with people who are hot right now so he can fulfill his desire of becoming a movie star.

He's going to win though.

I saw some of that last night, it was cringeworthy. Ricky Gervais was only short of actually performing analingus on Haye, while Haye did the worlds worst job at interviewing Mickey Rourke. The whole time i was jsut thinking id have more respect for him if he just did a HBO 24/7 style fight documentary instead of this blatant attempts at breaking into showbiz

Haye sounds like a complete tool. But I'm not into boxing, I assume his remarks are normal for the build up to a big fight that is looking for as much publicity as possible?

He's an arsehole but at least he's entertaining. Saturday should be good.

Whether you like Haye or not, he's obviously doing a good job at getting people interested in the fight. I mean just look at this thread, it's the most action I've seen in it since I've followed it! There's tons of articles in the newspapers and comments on the website versions of those papers. I'm impressed, he's got a way of really getting the casual fans involved in his fights.

theres a good reason for haye acting like he is. It's all about control. Wald is thought to be a control freak. He always wants things done his way. Haye has been told to get under his skin and to not do things like shake his hand etc. It's all about infuriating Wlad and making him angry enough so that he tries to opne up during the fight as opposed to stand there and spam the jab. When he does open up he is vunerable. He's never had a great chin and has been put down a number of times.

It's all a part of the plan.

Haye sounds like a complete tool. But I'm not into boxing, I assume his remarks are normal for the build up to a big fight that is looking for as much publicity as possible?

He isnt doing anything that Muhammad Ali didn't do before his fights 40 years ago. Ali knew that if he wanted people to watch his fights then talking shit at every opportunity will generate interest. Say if everybody loves you then you might get a million people watching on TV to cheer you on. If you are prepared to be the pantomime villain and say crazy stuff at every press conference then you might get a million people watching you on TV to cheer you on and you might get another million people watching to see you get knocked out. More people watching = more money. It is an incredibly common thing in boxing.

And a ninety minute Radio5 Boxing special to start at 9pm. What time does the London boxing show usually start? I tend to catch that one on Podcast. I wonder if Bunce is going to recycle material between the shows...

Speaking of podcasts, anyone else get the On The Ropes one? I quite enjoy it and it's amazing what guests they get on, all the big names, just in the last few episodes, Roger Mayweather, Amir Khan, Carl Froch, Andre Ward. Floyd, Manny, Freddie Roach, they all go on it.

Also if you want UK boxing videos, Sky's Ringside and any Sky Sports News coverage then this Eastside Boxing forum link is for you, it's especially good at the moment with the Haye coverage,

You may need to register

I saw some of that last night, it was cringeworthy. Ricky Gervais was only short of actually performing analingus on Haye, while Haye did the worlds worst job at interviewing Mickey Rourke. The whole time i was jsut thinking id have more respect for him if he just did a HBO 24/7 style fight documentary instead of this blatant attempts at breaking into showbiz

and yet there you are watching it!