The Boxing Thread

dogsout

Just a shame people don't give Wlad credit for his boxing skills.

Seems to be a lot of confusion between 'exciting' and being a good boxer. He played to his strengths, stuck to his gameplan, didn't get frustrated. Most importantly though I think he controlled the ring. I knew Haye was going to lose the fight after about the first three seconds because he just walked him into the corner and Haye seemed to not put up much resistance. He just utterly dominated the space, nullified Haye's speed advantage and this in turn led to everything else falling in to place. Wasn't a particularly enthralling fight but it was a pretty clinical demolition of Haye.

Haye spent more time on his knees than throwing punches. What an absolute homo!

Seriously though, it was a pretty disappointing fight. Haye didn't turn up at all, he just got shut out and wasn't able to do anything. He threw barely any combinations. I was expecting a bit more action from Haye, really trying to go for the KO. Wlads jab was just too good and probably knocked the confidence out of Haye making him unable to get in close and try and land anything. It's a shame Haye didn't get knocked out.

Both boxers were as bad as each other really, neither of them showed any offence and basically Klitchsko won due to being taller.

Wlad was on the front foot throughout. Some people said Haye would make him look cumbersome with his movement but he's no big lump like Valuev. Wlad ended up making Haye look stupid by easily dodging most of his ridiculous lunging right hands, leaving Haye scrambling around off balance for most of the last half of the fight.

Is there a press conference today?

Haye was saying about his toe afterwards, if it was that bad he should have postponed, although he was injured when he was due to fight one of the Klitchkos a few years ago so i guess that would have mnade him look a bit of chicken, especially after his shit talking. In the end he only looks marginally less stupid today than if he had pulled out, he was totally out classed by a superior boxer who was at his natural weight, simple as that. There is no compariosn to Valuev who was also way bigger than Haye, Valuev is basically a circus fighter now Haye can retire and fuck off to hollywood, like he always said he wanted to.

Incredibly he's asking for a rematch.

Haye or Klitschko?

Overall i actually enjoyed that fight, but mostly down to the fact i was with a bunch of friends all gettign hammered watching it so that made it instantly more enjoyable :lol:

But when you consider the last 2 HW fights ive seen were Haye v Harrison, and Haye v Valuev, that makes this fight look like the rumble in the jungle.

Incredibly he's asking for a rematch.

There's no doubt he would. It sounds like it's part of the plan. Make as much money as possible.

So while people criticised Harrison for his poor performance against Haye, why did Haye bother with him? For the money. Haye is all about money and celeb status, and loving himself.

To find the real villain of last night's piece, just follow the money. Estimates of Harrison's pay go from £250,000 to £1 million. All estimates put Haye's purse north of £5m.

Last week I defended David Haye's right to take a money-spinning bout with Harrison. I will always defend the right of fighters to maximise their incomes. However, I can no longer defend David Haye.

On a financial level, even on a boxing level, I can defend Haye's actions. I cannot defend them on a human level.

I cannot defend Haye, when he recognised that Harrison was "delusional," for showing him spite rather than sympathy.

I cannot defend Haye predicting the fight would be "as one-sided as a gang rape."

I cannot defend Haye, after Harrison's inertia had reduced the fight to a farce, for responding to his hollow victory with cheers and whooping rather than deep shame.

I cannot defend Haye's post-fight interview and his boast that he had toyed with his prey until the third round only because he had placed a bet on such an outcome.

David Haye, a charismatic and previously popular fighter, has proved himself to be a contemptible human being.

Eventually Haye came up against someone not pulled in by his bullshit, not afraid of him, and Haye was cowardly from pre-fight to finish.

It's hard to be too critical of Haye. He went 12 rounds with a better fighter with a reach he couldn't cope with. His behaviour in the build-up might make him look stupid this morning, but it's all about the box office, and he was pretty good box office until the first bell went.

It's like Man U v Barca or Murray v Nadal. Us little Brits get into a position where we win the opportunity to face the best in the world and then we take our humiliation.

It's hard to be too critical of Haye. He went 12 rounds with a better fighter with a reach he couldn't cope with. His behaviour in the build-up might make him look stupid this morning, but it's all about the box office, and he was pretty good box office until the first bell went.

It's like Man U v Barca or Murray v Nadal. Us little Brits get into a position where we win the opportunity to face the best in the world and then we take our humiliation.

Try watching Carl Froch dishing out some humiliation for us "little Brits".

It's gonna be hard for anyone to beat the Klits they are big athletic guys who refuse to engage while enjoying hight reach and weight advantages. Haye did well to negate the jab for the most part but simply could not get on the inside as any hint of foward momentum from Haye had Wlad constantly steping off. I really don't like the Klits where boxing is concerned, for guys of there size and ability they fight so negative that it turns boxing fans off.

Wlad was on the front foot throughout. Some people said Haye would make him look cumbersome with his movement but he's no big lump like Valuev. Wlad ended up making Haye look stupid by easily dodging most of his ridiculous lunging right hands, leaving Haye scrambling around off balance for most of the last half of the fight.

Yep, Wlad is too big, too strong, too QUICK. Thought he was excellent last night. Haye did his best, his toe can't have helped but blaming everything on that. Jesus. One thing, David, don't take a rematch. Wlad knows you can't hurt him now and you will walk onto something proper next time.

Haye was saying about his toe afterwards, if it was that bad he should have postponed, although he was injured when he was due to fight one of the Klitchkos a few years ago so i guess that would have mnade him look a bit of chicken,

He wasn't injured mate. Setanta had gone bust so Haye wouldn't have got paid, just more of his bullshit claiming a back injury. Seeing as he got 10 million plus last night he did the right thing!

Give the tenner to a charity of your choice Wistful.

Nice one Orion. Patronsaint and Don Rosco got it right too but you did say wide decision so...

Anyway, PM me coz I want to pay up and you can donate it yourself.

It's gonna be hard for anyone to beat the Klits they are big athletic guys who refuse to engage while enjoying hight reach and weight advantages.

Welcome to the heavyweight division? It's part of boxing in that category. If you can't find a way to engage with someone taller/weightier than you then move back down.

Just catching up on the happenings in this thread from last night, I think people are being overly harsh on Haye. Sure he was giving it the big 'un before the fight but that's all part of the game. Yes the toe excuse was bollocks but it's not like he pulled a Harrison (I've seen the word 'disgrace' bandied around in here a few times - wake up, seriously) - he's just not big enough and not good enough to be a heavyweight on the Klitschkos' level.

Welcome to the heavyweight division? It's part of boxing in that category. If you can't find a way to engage with someone taller/weightier than you then move back down.

And the sad truth is this is why the heavyweight division is one of the least interesting in professional boxing.

The talk is more for there to be a new division for the likes of the Klits, the size and reach disparity is just too much particularly with the way that they fight. It's the equivalent of a welter fighting a light heavy, i imagine Manny Pacquiao would lose to Chad Dawson don't you think.

They already added a new division with Cruiserweights though, it hasnt been a roaring success. Everybody who does well in that division wants to move up to heavyweight.

Would they add a Super Heavyweight division? I cant see it myself, the division would just die.

He wasn't injured mate. Setanta had gone bust so Haye wouldn't have got paid, just more of his bullshit claiming a back injury. Seeing as he got 10 million plus last night he did the right thing!

Yeah so he's a cunt then by all counts? Plenty work/friends folk scoffed when i said Klitchko would win so shows what they know. And that little Brits comment is not something i agree with but i can see where it comes from when The Press hype good teams/fighters up as being amazing but its only because the competition nationally is 90% garbage

Yeah so he's a cunt then by all counts? Plenty work/friends folk scoffed when i said Klitchko would win so shows what they know. And that little Brits comment is not something i agree with but i can see where it comes from when The Press hype good teams/fighters up as being amazing but its only because the competition nationally is 90% garbage

Its very odd who the media chose to get behind too. Just look at Carl Froch's last half dozen fights (Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham & Johnson) to see a man who has taken on top fighter after top fighter after top fighter and coming out on top, yet Froch has largely been ignored by the mainstream. Its mental that such an aggressive, exciting and successful fighter doesnt have a higher profile.

He's 6'6", hardly the most towering man ever to have walked into a ring. His reach also isn't extraordinarily long by division standards. Haye was only giving away 3" in either, hardly a significant issue if you had a decent gameplan and were secretly a good boxer.

He won because he out-boxed Haye, it had nothing to do with his size. I don't recall Tyson, Frazier et al ever moaning about his opponents being taller and heavier.

I find it odd that people are thinking up reasons about how essentially the weight division is wrong and this is the issue. No, the issue is that Haye was poor and got a deserved drubbing.

And you don't think those height and reach advantages aid there ability control the fight from the outside? There whole game is based on those height and reach advantages, not to mention the weight advantage they use to drape themselves over there opponents like a wet blanket the minute anyone gets close to them. The problem with the Klits is they fight not to lose rather than to win they take no risks at all even when it's apparent that they are superior and there opponents are clearly outgunned. This is why people don't want to watch them and is part of the reason why the heavyweight division is dead, people didn't tune in to watch Wlad last night they tuned in because of Haye, unfortunately he like all the others couldn't overcome the advantages and non committal style that Wlad fights with.

And you don't think those height and reach advantages aid there ability control the fight from the outside? There whole game is based on those height and reach advantages, not to mention the weight advantage they use to drape themselves over there opponents like a wet blanket the minute anyone gets close to them. The problem with the Klits is they fight not to lose rather than to win they take no risks at all even when it's apparent that they are superior and there opponents are clearly outgunned. This is why people don't want to watch them and is part of the reason why the heavyweight division is dead, people didn't tune in to watch Wlad last night they tuned in because of Haye, unfortunately he like all the others couldn't overcome the advantages and non committal style that Wlad fights with.

That may well be true, but it really doesn't excuse the absolutely fucking daft way Haye fought throughout the match. I can understand there's a certain naive logic about hanging back and just biding your time to get in that one shot that'll clobber your opponent, but the reality is that you also need to ensure you're keeping an eye on the punch ratio as well. Absolutely no judge in the world will give you a points decision if you don't show a consistent work rate. Scoring with just one or two punches in a round is simply not gonna cut it when you're boxing someone like Klit - I certainly don't particularly rate him as a top drawer boxer, but he ain't stupid, and he's certainly not got a glass jaw. So unless you are cosmically sure you are strong enough to do it in one punch, then you really should have another plan on the go.

Berto vs Ortiz was amazing. The fight slowed in the later rounds but to be honest I'm surprised it even went the full 12 rounds. Seemed like they were two young fighters with something to prove while Haye and Klitschko were happy to turn up, make sure they didn't lose too badly, and take the paycheck.

The ref was dodgy was he? Thats why Klitschko got a pint taken off? And yeah he got a bit of grief from the crwod for the ring walk but so did the Champ, he jujst didnt let it affect him i guess. God sa what shit head, he's even more of a twat now than i thought he was before.

I actually feel a little bit sorry for Haye watching that video. Must be difficult to spend weeks hyping up your fight and to have such a big ego about the whole thing only to completely foul it up at the end. I think he realsies too that he probably shouldve kept his mouth shut about the toe as it made him look like he was making excuses. Thats the sort of thing you should let slip a day or two after the fight, just quietly let it be known that you had an injury but fought through it. That way people look a bit more favorably on your performance in hindsight, instead of thinking 'hes just making excuses for a bad performance'

He probably sold the fight to considerably more people by talking shit though. It's all pantomime when boxers talk shit to each other before a big fight, and rarely is it personal, just look at how Tyson Fury's attitude to Del Boy Chisora changed almost overnight after the two had signed to meet later this month. Fury couldnt give Chisora enough praise ahead of his proposed bout with Wlad, now he is saying that he never liked him and plans to knock his block off. Trash talk is an easy way to keep talking about your upcoming fight, and the more you talk about it the more people will watch it. It has been proven time and again.