On 27 April 2017 at 16:35, Vimster said:

It's been so long since they showed this was in the works I'd assumed they'd abandoned it. Will have to give this a go.

Paul Koller started his conversion, then got busy with other games (Canabalt, Super Bread Box, Micro Hexagon and a secret title that is nearing completion).

This is a new conversion by someone else.

Paul has released a second preview of his version.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Dismal to see the twunts on Twitter calling it "bad code". It's great code because it resulted in an incredible game. So what if it's not spaced and commented properly, or does things in a non-classroom-taught way.

• Upvote 3
On 14/01/2020 at 03:48, merman said:

Dismal to see the twunts on Twitter calling it "bad code". It's great code because it resulted in an incredible game. So what if it's not spaced and commented properly, or does things in a non-classroom-taught way.

His response.

• Upvote 1

More at https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/13/21064100/vvvvvv-source-code-game-development-terry-cavanagh-release

“What can I say?” he wrote in the source code blog post. “I was young and more interested in getting something on the screen than implementing it properly. Maybe the best thing about VVVVVV’s source code is that is stands as proof of what you can hack together even if you’re not much of a programmer.”

• Upvote 2

The best part is that it doesn't matter how precarious it is or how tenuously it hangs together. It works and is great. That applies to games and non games development alike.

I'd much rather have a project done and out the door working as intended that might have messy code rather than  immaculate code that never sees the light of day.

I have had people criticise my code in the old days of development saying stuff like "how does this even work its a mess" and the answer is "it does and it came in on budget and on time".

it is very easy to criticise code quality but hard to ship code at all and those who criticise usually don't have a good record of delivering.

• Upvote 4