rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mechamonkey

Little Nightmares

I couldn't find a thread for this so apologies if a duplicate.

After playing this at EGX last year I picked this up today for it's paltry budget price.

If you liked Inside then just go buy Little Nightmares now. I'm I think about half way through and it is utterly brilliant. 

It's looking like being one of my favourites games so far this year and that's saying something given the year we've had already.

Basically take Inside, a dash of Trapdoor, Little Big Planet and a dash of your childhood fears and you're there.

I urge people to not watch spoilers and take the plunge. I just hope the rest holds up to what I've played so far.

As info this runs at 60fps on PS4 Pro and at a higher res, looks fine on my standard model though.

• Upvote 2

I was thinking about starting a thread this morning because i've been looking forward to this game since their last reveal.

Even better was when i realised i could buy it on disc for £15. So after work today, i did just that. It feels good going home with a disc in hand compared to an impulse digital purchase, especially for these smaller games that can get left by the wayside.

Anyway! I have played the first 30 mins or so, and all i could think about was Inside (which was my GOTY 2016), so i've shelved it. Because i don't want recent comparisons to tarnish the experience.

I've been really interested in this since it was announced and the recent Edge feature whetted my appetite for it even more. The reviews for it haven't been quite as euphoric as they have been for some other games released this year, though, so I've held back for now. Comparisons to Inside, though, which was also my GOTY for 2016, and the budget price are tempting me. I'm definitely going to get it. It'll be nice to have a disc version of the game as well.

Is it only 4-5 hours long? Is there any incentive to replay it?

I'd say it's only 4-5 hours depending on how you play, I'm slow so I've taken a while looking at the details and soaking in the atmosphere,

There are things I've missed I know so will do a second run.

• Upvote 1

Started this during my lunch break yesterday but didn't get too far. Looks wonderful though :)

Better yet, Amazon were doing £2 off a pre order, and a fiver off a purchase made via their app. Got a copy on PS4 for myself and one for a workmate for £11.50 each. They also included the soundtrack on CD. 

For those on PC, you can currently get it on GOG for £16 and get Inside free with it. 

I'm about 90mins in and just totally utterly stuck...

When you are trapped in that room and long arms is reaching for you under the shutter door. Honestly died about 50 times here, just can't figure it out at all and it's just a small room with 2 intractable elements. Madness.

It's frustrating because this game is genuinely so close to being on the same level as Playdead's Limbo/Inside games but I think their decision to make it more 3D creates more problems than it does opportunities. I'm often misjudging platforms and falling off. Also if you're going to make a game where there are unavoidable first time deaths like Limbo/Inside you really really have to have quick loading, as in no longer than 1-2 seconds. This is more like 6-8 seconds, along with the confusing 3D element it creates moments of frustration.

Yet the presentation of it is wonderful. If you're looking for something similar to Inside during the long wait to Playdead's next game then right now this is the best substitute. 

• Upvote 1

@Capwn

Spoiler

I jjust jumped onto the bottom right crate then as his right arm snaked up moved up towards the stack of cages top right and dodged between the arms to get to the trapped crate under the door and pulled a support out, you need to do it twice.

Took me about 6 tries to be fair

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I have heard it's only 2-3 hours long though.

Someone on Neogaf said it had taken them under two hours, I can only assume this person literally ran through it and didn't savour any of it, there's no way I could do it that fast, I'm not done at 4.5 hrs so far, waiting till it's nice and creepy in the house late at night to continue again.

• Upvote 2

I finished this in one sitting, and absolutely loved it. More than Inside, even.

The atmosphere is creepy without being oppressive, and the whole tale is a joy. Games this length just feel like a great animated film.

It's like Inside with a bit of Luigi's Mansion, and some really nice design. Fully recommended.

• Upvote 5

I think I'm on the fifth chapter of this now, been playing a little bit each night. It's really good, horribly dark and twisted, so much detail in the enviroments. Each chapter brings new nightmares to traverse through, it's all so beautifully disgusting.

Yeah im really enjoying it. I don't like how easy it is to fall of ledges at times though.

I started a lets play on this if anyone interested.

• Upvote 2

Yikes this game is getting more and more disturbing. I think I'm quite far ahead and am totally stuck, if anyone here is near the end/finished it I could do with some tips as am so confused right now.

The singing asian lady. I sneaked past her and got the key and back through the door. I go through that big room with the mannequins, get what I think is a mirror and clearly you need to use it to get past her. Thought it would be easy as holding up a mirror to her but I don't think it's that?

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yikes this game is getting more and more disturbing. I think I'm quite far ahead and am totally stuck, if anyone here is near the end/finished it I could do with some tips as am so confused right now.

Hide contents

The singing asian lady. I sneaked past her and got the key and back through the door. I go through that big room with the mannequins, get what I think is a mirror and clearly you need to use it to get past her. Thought it would be easy as holding up a mirror to her but I don't think it's that?

You'll kick yourself.

Spoiler

Just move into the spotlight (which moves locations) and face her, repeat a few times.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you've got to hit her something like 6 times. I always find it a nice surprise when games move away from the conventions of 3 or 5 hits.

Played through in one sitting too

Shame it came after Inside as the comparisons are inevitable. It still manages to holds its own though.

Thoroughly enjoyable (in a dark foreboding way) from start to finish and adore the art style. 

Finished it earlier this evening.  A very fun game,  not exactly difficult but I felt it was better for that.  

I felt it perhaps needed more of a challenge after the chefs though.  I was very confused at the ending until I read a explanation.  

Yeah I was super confused by that too and had to come here, I was given a solution but didn't get back to the game for about a week. Last night I played it from there, did and finished the game within 10mins so it felt pretty anti climatic and was left wanting more. I guess that's a good thing in a way.

Just now, Capwn said:

Yeah I was super confused by that too and had to come here, I was given a solution but didn't get back to the game for about a week. Last night I played it from there, did and finished the game within 10mins so it felt pretty anti climatic and was left wanting more. I guess that's a good thing in a way.

yeah i read this - https://www.primagames.com/games/little-nightmares/tips/little-nightmares-ending-explained-and-story-explanation

I was like.. did i miss the intro of something? Because they seemed to have a lot of info. Like the girl you play as is called Six. When was that ever explained?

I kinda understand the ending now but still - everything explained in that file.. i have no idea how they worked it out.

I really hope we see something similar from this team again.

This is a fucking excellent game.

In my opinion the best horror, in whatever medium, is born from surrealism. And this game has it in spades. Not since PT have I seen a horror game do surrealism so well.

It really is like a nightmare, everything's exaggerated, nothing makes sense, everything's grotesque and mundane, it's just absolutely brilliant. Better than Inside and Limbo imo.

Next I want a full blown ten hour sequel, building on the brilliant ideas of this one and making the whole thing meatier. A really surprising and exciting and nail biting and disturbing videogame which lingers on the brain ages afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Better than Inside and Limbo imo.

I loved Inside and Limbo, but yeah, I agree now that the dust has settled that this is better. I think it has much more to say and lingers in the memory much more so than even Inside. It's a fantastic observation of human nature in all its grotesque glory played out as a wonderfully creepy adventure.

6 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

This is a fucking excellent game.

In my opinion the best horror, in whatever medium, is born from surrealism. And this game has it in spades. Not since PT have I seen a horror game do surrealism so well.

It really is like a nightmare, everything's exaggerated, nothing makes sense, everything's grotesque and mundane, it's just absolutely brilliant. Better than Inside and Limbo imo.

Next I want a full blown ten hour sequel, building on the brilliant ideas of this one and making the whole thing meatier. A really surprising and exciting and nail biting and disturbing videogame which lingers on the brain ages afterwards.

I enjoyed it more than Inside for sure. Not sure about Limbo though.. maybe it's because that was the first type of this genre of game i played - i played it a few times over.

Apparently it was first called Hunger. I guess that makes sense considering what happens throughout. 

The issues i had where that is was far to easy to fall to your death due to how the camera angle presented itself sometimes. Secondly i kind of see the game in three "acts" -

the long armed guy, the chefs and then the final section with the obsese people and the lady

I thought act 1 and 2 were good but act 3 was way to rushed. Sure, it provided some amazing imagery but i just felt this section lacked gameplay wise compared to the rest of the game - perhaps another half hour or so of gameplay would have helped.

Brought back memories of Another World at times..

Ah that video in the link Darhkwing posted is interesting, I didn't catch onto anything that was going but I think they have pretty much nailed it. In the end, I do think 'Inside' is the more polished title in terms of gameplay design and narrative, it felt more intuitive and had a much more satisfying final act. That said, to have a game come out so soon after Inside that has similar dark mysterious surreal tones has been a pleasant surprise. I think personally Inside has more long term moments that will stick with me but LN is still an essential and unique experience (especially for people who enjoy the PlayDead games). Hoping this does well, it seems to be getting ignored (like this is still a 1 page thread).

Finally finished this and thought it was ace. Going against the norm, I completed it in loads of bite sized chunks between Mario Kart sessions.

I get the Inside comparisons, but it's quite a different game to play really. The extra dimension is obviously a big part of that. Moving about in 3D probably contributed to the game drawing me in and ultimately having more of an impact than Inside. It felt like some kind of twisted stealth sequel to Jack the Nipper and I was reminded of those panicky running away bits in Skyward Sword's Silent realm.

Got their other game Statik on VR too which is also great. These are developers to watch.

I bought this a couple of months ago (thanks @BubbleFish) and completed it last night after about 3 hours of play. Despite its short run time, its packed with some really excellent moments. The bit at the end when

Spoiler

you're being chased by the geisha woman while she's Grudge-screaming at you was fantastically terrifying and a particular stand out, as was the bit when you momentarily go outside and watch all the guests getting onto the submarine.

Lots of people have compared it with Inside, but for me the 2.5D design made it more like a supremely twisted Little Big Planet mod. Apart from that, however, I thought it was completely original, unlike anything I'd ever played before, and all the more memorable for being so. The sound design, from the understated music to the chefs' ape-like shrieks of outrage, was superbly effective, and the warped art direction really contributed to the surreal atmosphere, the idea that you're actually living through a nightmare you can't wake up from.

My only wish is that there was more of it. I think that, with these types of games, brevity is a strength and makes them more focused. Completing the game in three hours, however (finding all but two of the secret collectibles) is pushing it a bit, and the fact that there's a trophy for finishing it in under an hour is quite telling. Even one more chapter would have been enough to tip it into the 5 star category, especially if it revealed a bit more about what was going on.

Overall, though, it was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's shame that it doesn't appear to have received that much recognition.

Has anyone played the DLC? I might wait until all three episodes are out.

• Upvote 1