IGNORED

Hellboy to be rebooted, new director and lead

Doctor Shark

Comic book artist Mike Mignola has just revealed that his most famous creation, Hellboy, is going to receive the movie reboot treatment.

The reboot will be R-rated, said Mignola on social media, and be helmed by The Descent and Dog Soldiers' director Neil Marshall. David Harbour, most recently known for his role as  Police Chief Jim Hopper in Stranger Things, will replace Ron Perlman as the eponymous red superhero. That's all the information Mignola has released so far, but he promises "more news to come soon."

The reboot news follows original Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro's admission that despite his best efforts, there will not be a Hellboy 3. del Toro's last Hellboy movie was Hellboy II: The Golden Army, released in 2008. In 2015, Perlman revealed that del Toro already had an "incredibly theatrical" plan for what a third installment would entail, and said that the core team behind the series "owe it to the fans" to make the film.

From IGN. 

Sad news, although I guess we all knew Hellboy 3 was likely never to happen. 

Still, a reboot could see it brought to a new audience and reinvigorate the franchise, I suppose. 

4fe5cf656559fdd8e0465c7450bcd72d.jpg

I could see Hopper doing a decent job, actually. But why do they feel the need to "reboot" everything these days? Why not just do Hellboy 3? It's not like anyone watched the first two, or like there's much continuity.

Don't get this at all. They are very much cult films that weren't popular, can't see a reboot changing the properties nature. It has no mass appeal. I do love them both, and would love to see 3 though.

It's gonna be kind of weird to see someone else as Hellboy. Ron Perlman's...unique...face really helped sell the fact he was a demon. 

I suppose the purpose of a reboot is to try and get that mass-market appeal, to bring it to a wider audience in these superhero-centric times where stuff that's weird on paper, like guardians of the galaxy, are big box office successes. 

I reckon Hellboy would actually lend itself really well to a TV show. 

What a weird movie to reboot. Especially when there is interest in a third movie. As already mentioned, neither were that financially successful, so unless they're hoping to start some Hellboy cinematic universe, why are they bothering? If they try to change the character to make him more likeable or safe(r) for kids to watch, then it won't be Hellyboy either.

25 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It was criminal that the marvellous HellBoy2 performed so poorly at the box office. In a year when fucking Hancock grossed nigh on $700M.

Indeed, I loved Hellboy 2 and even though it's very different to the comics - which I have only just started reading - the films were great in their way, especially the visuals.

Going from Guillermo del Toro to Neil Marshall is... I don't want to say "a downgrade" because Marshall has done some good films, but it would probably indicate that the film is going to have a lower profile than the original.

They could have had Hellboy 3, and it could have been spectacular. I'm guessing they wanted someone younger in the role to build a new series of movies around hoping to tap into the whole Logan/Deadpool R rated craze. Very depressing. 

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

It was criminal that the marvellous HellBoy2 performed so poorly at the box office. In a year when fucking Hancock grossed nigh on $700M.

Someone in the Birth Movies Death comments pointed out that Hellboy 2 had a very similar budget and box office to The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, which was also a Universal film from a couple of years earlier. What gets perceived as poor box office can be inconsistent between films.

I like the two live action Hellboy movies (not so much the two animated ones), and would have loved to see a third one from then. (As far as I'm concerned, Perlman is up there with JK Simmons, Christopher Reeve, Patrick Stewart and Robert Downey Jr as one of the most perfect pieces of superhero casting.) But the movies appeal for quite different reasons than the comics. So there is space for them to do an adaptation that is closer to the comics' pacing and atmosphere.

When this news was announced, I wondered if talks had already been going on to make this film when GDT did that Twitter straw poll a few months ago, and that was why Mignola had scuppered it then.

These are the comments that Mignola gave then:

http://www.slashfilm.com/hellboy-3-is-dead/

I was not very happy with the way he did that, just publishing a Tweet. I would have been very pleased to see Guillermo with Ron Perlman, who has played Hellboy on the screen since 2004, and discussing this sequel. Ron and I had seen each other. Then, Guillermo made this [show] on the Internet. I said to myself: “Call me if you want to talk to me, do not go through the Internet, you have my number.” I think we’ve both evolved in separate directions since the second Hellboy. I look forward to seeing what he will do next, but I do not see us working together again. He has his idea for the next Hellboy but, in all sincerity, I do not see him [realizing] the film. Too much water has flowed under the bridges from Hellboy 2.

I don't know that Hellboy has enough mass appeal to fly as a mainstream movie, and I'm not sure that the cult audience will accept the change of creative team. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

7 hours ago, Despin said:

I loved the Rasputin/nazi/prophecy stuff in the first flick. Shame Del Toro is not going to get to finish it.

Anyone read the comic books? Any idea where the series may have ended up?

Del Toro was pushing the Fairy / Fay side of the Hellboy mythos over the Lovecraftian or Demons / Hell aspects.

I read on Polygon that "Rise Of The Blood Queen" is being floated about as a title for the new movie. That implies it's going to be an adaptation of the Wild Hunt / Storm and the Fury storyline which touches on the Lovecraft / Hell stuff but is mainly the climax of the Fairy storyline. So it's probably what Del Toro was planning to tackle anyway.

So less Nazis / Rasputin and more celtic mythology, giants and witches.

I don't really see this as a reboot, in the traditional sense of the word.

Hellboy, the comic, is a dark and weird cult property. The original film came out at the height of the early-2000's option every comic known to man gold rush and was always an odd fit for a studio tentpole. Both films suffered in relation to the expectation that they perform like a mainstream comic franchise, and they cost an equivalent amount of money, but the audience for something so left-field was always going to be relatively niche. Aiming for an R rating and signing a director like Neill Marshall sounds more like a sensible attempt to take the property back to its roots, on a budget that it actually stands a chance of making back for a change.

I'd love to have seen the end of Del Toro's trilogy, but another loss-making blockbuster would have salted the earth. I can see why Mignola would have been reluctant to go for that, especially considering that everything with Del Toro's name attached since Hellboy 2 has been a dud ("we've evolved in different directions"), so this seems smart to me.

I've got no problem with this. Either nothing happens with Hellboy again ever, or someone else had to take over. Hellboy is one of my favourite comics, and although I liked the GDT films plenty, I'm not under the impression they were masterpieces of any kind, and certainly not sacred cows that can't be moved beyond.

I liked both Hellboy films but I'm not super precious about the franchise. That said, I don't feel it needs a reboot as it was perfectly good so I can only assume that the primary driver is financial rather than artistic.

There are plenty of films out there which were a bit shite at the time but had the kernel of something interesting (to me at least) which could benefit from either a straight remake or a reboot. A few which spring to mind:

Cobra - Give it the John Wick treatment.

Shocker - It is a bit shit but with the right framing maybe akin to something like Jason X, it could be something more.

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone - I haven't seen this in a long time so it might be irredeemable, but I think it would benefit from a more ambitious expansion than the world which was created for it.

16 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I liked both Hellboy films but I'm not super precious about the franchise. That said, I don't feel it needs a reboot as it was perfectly good so I can only assume that the primary driver is financial rather than artistic.

Unless Mignola wants a version of Hellboy that more closely resembles the one he wrote. I was never a huge fan of the GDT/Perlman stroppy teen interpretation so I'm happy for Marshall to have a crack at it.

I'm in agreement with the way this thread appears to be going - as much as I love the GDT/Perlman films, they were never quite right for the character as he's portrayed in the comics/my head.

I like the casting of Harbour, and if all this means we're going to get the World's Greatest Paranormal Detective instead of a petulant idiot, more Lovecraft and less Grimm, and maybe Roger the Homunculus and the whole rest of the gang instead of just Abe and a moderately cringey romance with Liz, then I'm all for it.

• 2 months later...