IGNORED

The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

• 2 weeks later...

Finished season 1! And season 2 is on Disney+, so that is getting watched next. Definitely improves as it progresses, as far as I've seen it.

Easily the most satisfying Trek I've seen since DS9 ended, and it's not Trek. Which says something. Genuinely can’t see why it gets so much vitriol aimed at it by certain Trek fan types.

I don't think I've seen a bad word said about The Orville, at least not since the very early days. That includes the Star Trek subreddit and even Twitter. 

It's basically a really good TNG tribute act, so I don't really see how you could be a Star Trek fan and not like it.

14 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

What trekkies are hating on the Orivlle, I've never seen that. Perhaps discovery fans. But no actual trekkies.

I know at least one long-term Star Trek fan who watched the first episode of The Orville, decided it was shit and refused to watch any more.

I think he did the same with Lower Decks so either he hates any kind of humour in his Star Trek or just has terrible taste.

On 15/03/2022 at 10:07, Hexx said:

Discovery "Trekkies" maybe? They're an odd bunch

I followed some people on Twitter who became Discovery fans. They seem to like the series primarily because it was "inclusive" and (I hate this term) seemingly 'woke', but I mean, you can be fully onboard with the concept of diversity and wokeness and so on while also considering Discovery to be utterly terrible. (I mean, it's not like the earlier Trek series made during our lifetimes weren't trying to be inclusive, well, given the era they were made in and various commercial constraints.)

On 15/03/2022 at 13:38, IcEBuRN said:

That' does some like the sort of attitude some trek nerds would have. "I SAW ONE EPISODE, IT WAS SHIT." SNORT. :lol:

Which is ironic, considering that they'd have never actually watched TNG had they given up after Encounter at Farpoint.

Anyway, I think The Orville (as I've seen it so far) works in part because it doesn't have the decades-long continuity baggage of Trek. It can be its own thing. I honestly think that a major problem with modern Trek, and before that Enterprise, is that it's all too bogged down with lore and continuity. It really needs a reboot.

3 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Anyway, I think The Orville (as I've seen it so far) works in part because it doesn't have the decades-long continuity baggage of Trek. It can be its own thing. I honestly think that a major problem with modern Trek, and before that Enterprise, is that it's all too bogged down with lore and continuity. It really needs a reboot.

No need for that. I've just come up with a better idea. Send them far into the future, where they don't need to worry about interfering with anything cannon.

Star Trek - No way home.

2 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

No need for that. I've just come up with a better idea. Send them far into the future, where they don't need to worry about interfering with anything cannon.

Star Trek - No way home.

They've done this with Discovery but it hasn't made the show any better.

21 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I'm not sure I agree. Canon can certainly restrict certain things, but it also adds a huge amount of context and history which can just as easily elevate new stories. 

TNG followed three seasons of TOS, along with an animated series and a bunch of movies. Despite this, most weeks saw it focussing on completely new planets, situations and alien races. Canon was only really an issue when it was deliberately invoked. 

If CBS wanted to go back to basics with a new TNG style show, there's basically nothing stopping them. They could always come up with a way to explore a new galaxy, or indeed a new time period and use it for an episodic story of the week show. Even if they didn't, the galaxy is a big place and there's no reason they couldn't introduce a bunch of new worlds and stories.

If anything, a bigger problem is simply that we've had so many stories told in this universe that it must be hard to think of new ideas. The Orville, excellent as it is, often riffs on old TNG episode ideas. A new Star Trek show could do the same of course, but would probably not be quite so well received. A reboot wouldn't help with this either.

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I followed some people on Twitter who became Discovery fans. They seem to like the series primarily because it was "inclusive" and (I hate this term) seemingly 'woke', but I mean, you can be fully onboard with the concept of diversity and wokeness and so on while also considering Discovery to be utterly terrible. (I mean, it's not like the earlier Trek series made during our lifetimes weren't trying to be inclusive, well, given the era they were made in and various commercial constraints.)

Which is ironic, considering that they'd have never actually watched TNG had they given up after Encounter at Farpoint.

And everybody knows all previous Star Trek iterations were the antithesis of inclusive.....

46 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Wait is there new orville? I thought we were waiting for series 3? Haven't we had 2 already?

Haha yeah I'm sorry in true sprite tradition I am way, way way behind the curve but with a view to catching up in time for season 3!

And yeah the two parter was amazing! I wasn't expecting it to be as... big! :D 

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Haha yeah I'm sorry in true sprite tradition I am way, way way behind the curve but with a view to catching up in time for season 3!

And yeah the two parter was amazing! I wasn't expecting it to be as... big! :D 

Aha, fair play :D

Good to hear you're enjoying though, i might have to do series 2 again but I think I remember it well enough.

Bortas and his hubby shocking out at the disco is still a highlight. 

3 hours ago, b00dles said:

Aha, fair play :D

Good to hear you're enjoying though, i might have to do series 2 again but I think I remember it well enough.

Bortas and his hubby shocking out at the disco is still a highlight. 

Reminds me of Kryten dancing in the disco in Red Dwarf :lol:

Reached season 2, episode 5.

Spoiler

Not keen on this Planet of the Astrology-Believers episode. Feels flat and dated rather than knowingly ‘90s retro, if that makes sense. Also, watching this season back to back with the first, it feels too soon after several other “planet of modern-day, but culturally primitive, people” episodes.

Also, they’ve done an Ezri Dax in reverse! Replacing a younger, less confident character with a slightly older, much more assertive, woman of the same species. Shame they had to replace Alara for whatever reason, as it seemed her character progression was going somewhere.

With regards to that spoiler:

Spoiler

It took a few episodes for Talla to grow on me but in the end I much preferred her to Alara. She gets plenty to do so it doesn't take much time for her to feel like one of the cast.

In many ways she feels like she's the same person but with seven seasons of character growth under her belt. It's like they realised they'd painted themselves into a corner with the "young, inexperienced security officer" trope and just jumped straight to the bit where she'd become more hardened and grizzled. Whatever, it works.

re: Alara (Season 2)

Spoiler

She left because she was offered a more secure gig on "Prodigal Son" (show where Micheal Sheen is a serial killer in jail helping his son solve crimes) and the scheduling wouldn't allow her to do both.

• Thor changed the title to The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+