The Orville - Season 3 starts now on Disney+

Thor

4 hours ago, deKay said:

She was a terrible character.

[...]

Her feelings towards the Kaylon make sense but her actions go against that. I don't buy the sudden empathy for them, which is then reverted again before being ultimately reverted *again*.

It's a great series, but she is not a great character. Or actress, actually.

Then why not just say that, instead of "hurr-hurr, people only liked her to have a wank over "?

On 29/07/2022 at 20:06, Barnard said:

Does Seth even need to move into an established franchise?

He seems quite confident in his ability as a creator of quality entertainment.  

If the Orville works he should just keep on at it as best he can. Moving to another franchise and having to cede creative control he's built with the Orville could be pretty galling. 

On 29/07/2022 at 23:15, Mogster said:

Seth should absolutely just stick with the Orville for as long as he's got new stories in him. That was ace, and shows just how much range this show has.

Even as an action heavy episode though, that still had more to say, and much higher emotional stakes than basically anything Star Wars has managed in a long, long time.

I agree, this is an established universe with its own interesting complexities and, in some ways, more relevance to the modern world than Star Trek. They don't need to give him a different 'franchise'.

I really hope they carry on with it, even if I'm finding the action-heavy episodes are only 'very good' instead of 'absolutely outstanding'.

14 minutes ago, PK said:

Then why not just say that, instead of "hurr-hurr, people only liked her to have a wank over "?

I didn’t think I needed to explain further. But now I have.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

She was a terrible character. That isn't a joke. The only reason I could see people liking her was for that. "Young attractive woman joins show after several series" is a trope in its own right and isn't done for story reasons.

Her feelings towards the Kaylon make sense but her actions go against that. I don't buy the sudden empathy for them, which is then reverted again before being ultimately reverted *again*.

It's a great series, but she is not a great character. Or actress, actually.

I interpreted her character and her actions differently.  It’s disappointing to see the character (and actress) dismissed as simply a pretty face when I felt it was quite a powerful exploration of issues seldom seen in this type of sci fi.  Each to their own I suppose.

I was going to post this morning about how good a job they did with that character. I'm quite surprised to see anyone think otherwise.

Spoiler

Her arc was really well done. She came onto the show with an understandable hatred of the Kaylon, and Isaac for his role in the attacks. From the start this was handled with a good deal of balance too, with established characters sympathising with her. Right from the start however she was able to get over her hatred to save Isaac's life, even if it was under orders.

Over the course of the series she gradually started to see Isaac as his own person, which started to create small cracks in her view. She learned to accept and work with Isaac, and encountered the emotional Kaylon of course. 

Right up to the end though, Charly was never presented as being flat out wrong to hold the views she did. She rightly pointed out that the peace they achieved with the Kaylon was only down to the Union holding a gun to their heads, and that the Kaylon's ability to "evolve" only came from direct outside actions. She also wasn't chastised for her views when she discussed them with Mercer. I think her ultimate decision came down to basic morality more than forgiveness. She was getting over her anger and falling back on her humanity.

I can't say I ever thought she was being brought into the show because she was young and attractive. She was never sexualised in any way, wasn't subjected to any male gazey camerawork and certainly wasn't given a skintight catsuit to wear for no reason. She was a good character with a strong arc.

I wasn't overly upset when she died however, but Isaac's speech at the memorial really got to me.

9 minutes ago, DualSense said:

I interpreted her character and her actions differently.  It’s disappointing to see the character (and actress) dismissed as simply a pretty face when I felt it was quite a powerful exploration of issues seldom seen in this type of sci fi.  Each to their own I suppose.

I get that, but she’s so badly realised. She flips between hate and understanding multiple times in a snap of her fingers.

Sorry but I don’t see that at all.  There were moments where she seems to contemplate her position as she learned more about them but certainly never flipped to forgiving them.  I loved the complexity of it compared to the usual sci fi fare.  

54 minutes ago, DualSense said:

Sorry but I don’t see that at all.  There were moments where she seems to contemplate her position as she learned more about them but certainly never flipped to forgiving them.  I loved the complexity of it compared to the usual sci fi fare.  

That's what made it so good. She was never judged for thinking the way she did, and never shown to be right or wrong either.

3 hours ago, DualSense said:

Three episodes ago she was all “they can be changed, there is a chance”, this week it was “FOR FUCK SAKE MURDER THEM ALL”

She talked about how she had over simplified the situation and apologised to Isaac for her treatment of him specifically if I recall.  It was a don’t judge Isaac because of his race rather than a don’t judge the race because of Isaac moment. I don’t think there was a radical shift in her position.  

Anyway Orville is great, can’t wait until the next (and final 😢) episode.

2 hours ago, DualSense said:

Anyway Orville is great, can’t wait until the next (and final 😢) episode.

It's the last of the season, but while season 4 hasn't been confirmed it also hasn't been cancelled.

Never say never!

4 hours ago, DualSense said:

I don’t think there was a radical shift in her position.

"I absolutely hate all Kaylon. I will not revive Issac even if you order me to."

*revives Issac*

"Actually Issac isn't so bad but all other Kaylon are terrible"

"Actually the Kaylon aren't bad they just had a bad past. I understand that."

"I have created a weapon with which to destroy all Kaylon and I insist that using it to destroy all Kaylon is the right thing to do"

"Actually I will sacrifice my life to not only ensure the Kaylon survive, but also to destroy the weapon that can beat them"

That’s what makes it so interesting, the difference between personal feelings and her duty to the union.  She sacrificed herself for a bigger ideal that she didn’t agree with..it’s beautiful and powerful. I felt it was covered in the series really well although not perfectly..but for me it’s all there and I’m sorry you didn’t see it the same way.

I listened to the novella today. It's a grand story and I can see why it would have been been a budget busting logistical nightmare to film during COVID.  

It is set between episode 8 and 9 and really adds to the whole theme of series 3. 

Well worth a listen. 

It's what Insurrection could have been if they had any balls. 

Wow.

I'm catching up and saw episode 5, tale of 2 (etc).

How did they get such good acting turns out of this. It felt really impactful.

Only questionable bit is so many people turning out for someone who wouldn't get through X Factor round 1.

On 31/07/2022 at 21:56, Barnard said:

I listened to the novella today. It's a grand story and I can see why it would have been been a budget busting logistical nightmare to film during COVID.  

It is set between episode 8 and 9 and really adds to the whole theme of series 3. 

Well worth a listen. 

It's what Insurrection could have been if they had any balls. 

Are you in the UK?

Spoiler

The Sandwich finally turned up. 😂

Spoiler

Elvis Bortus was fantastic too. :hat:

I sincerely hope this is not the last we see of The Orville, but if it is then what a terrific season to finish on.  Not a single duff episode.

Superb ending to the series and a brilliant show - I hope that it does well enough for someone at Disney to renew another few seasons but if that’s the send off it’s ended on a proper high. 

That was fucking perfection, so many laughs! 

Spoiler

"You have been useful, sober man. You may go now". 😂

Me when Isaac agreed to all Kaylon attending the wedding:

hafl.jpg

"All kidding aside" 

And all with a nice tale of the morality of the "prime directive" as an undercurrent. 

That was a pitch-perfect finale for the show and these characters.

16 hours ago, Hamus said:

"

Only questionable bit is so many people turning out for someone who wouldn't get through X Factor round 1.

Not sure if serious - but I presumed they were all "in on it" wink wink nudge nudge

13 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Why was that a far more compelling and convincing chase scene than in Obi-Wan? :lol: 

"A friend in the pub" (so take with pinch of salt) told me that Orville has something like half of the budget to produce 2-3x the on screen minutes. Its insane how good it looks.

That was... perfect. One of their best ever episodes and a reminder of how great it is simply to spend time with these characters. The balance of humour and character stuff felt far more in line with the best S1/S2 episodes than the more self-consciously epic nature of much of S3.

Spoiler

Isaac inviting the entire Kaylon fleet to his wedding had me laughing out loud.

I hate to say it but that felt like an ending.

12 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I hate to say it but that felt like an ending.

While I would dearly love more, all the actors have been released from their contracts for this, so it's unlikely. But to put another spin on it, the show ended on a high, and everyone involved can be truly proud of their work. 

There aren't many shows you can apply that to. :)

edit: This'll be in "Top 10 best Sci-fi show" lists for decades to come. 

It’s nicely done so that it’s a farewell episode but with enough threads left that another series (or more) wouldn’t be awkward. 
 Be sad if that’s the last time I get to spend time with this motley crew though.