rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

37 minutes ago, John0 said:

I can understand people ignoring the problems and embracing the fun and sillyness, and I did enjoy it and do look forward to series 2, but I did struggle in parts.

• The totally unnecessary tits and cleavage genuinely left me cringing and feeling embarrassed at really crucial moments. The final big battle, for example. Often Yennifer's boobs were the closest thing to the camera.. they deliberately shot it looking up at them. There's just no need. It really bothered me and took me out of the drama.
  • The marriage of medieval fantasy with a modern TV/film feel I found a bit jarring. One minute you had very serious political scenes, the next you had the bard wise cracking like something from a 2019 light-sitcom. Yennifer's make over was just.. she looked like someone out of Hollyoaks. It just all felt like a bit of a mess.
  • A big deal was made early on about the price of magic and how you can't just conjure it out of nowhere - it always has a cost. This is forgotten very quickly with people conjuring magic out of nowhere for the remainder of the series, except when the plot needs it not to. The bit that stood out to me was Villentrentenmirth falling off the cliff whilst Yennifer doesn't do anything. 2 minutes later she's suspending dwarfs in mid air with the flick of a wrist. Magic appears to be very easy sometimes, but then impossible at other times.
  • Think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Nilfgaard very much came across like the bad guys, which didn't really ring true with the rest of the more grey-area politics and characters. I assume this is different in the games/books?

People shouldn't compare it to Game of Thrones at all, obviously. They are very different apart from surface similarities. But I felt it had a lot of problems in its own right. Was no one else bothered by this stuff? Or did you find it easy to look past it? I guess maybe one person's "it doesn't take itself too seriously" is another person's "it was a bit all over the place"?

Nevertheless, it is very fun. Cavill is excellent and perfectly nails his role. It's funny in places and I found the overarching plot very compelling. Some of the fight scenes are SO good. So visceral. Also I do love a bit of fantasy and it had cool, unique take on the genre. Never read the books or played the games, but pretty tempted now :).

I’m 2/3 through and tbh this hasn’t bothered me. A high quality big budget proper fantasy programme is exactly what I’m up for. Each episode I’ve seen so far I’ve enjoyed... with 3 and 4 being the high points so far. Loved the fairytale of episode 4.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, scottcr said:

holy shit - the best version yet.

Haven't listened, but will later. :hat:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, John0 said:

I can understand people ignoring the problems and embracing the fun and sillyness, and I did enjoy it and do look forward to series 2, but I did struggle in parts.

• The totally unnecessary tits and cleavage genuinely left me cringing and feeling embarrassed at really crucial moments. The final big battle, for example. Often Yennifer's boobs were the closest thing to the camera.. they deliberately shot it looking up at them. There's just no need. It really bothered me and took me out of the drama.
  • The marriage of medieval fantasy with a modern TV/film feel I found a bit jarring. One minute you had very serious political scenes, the next you had the bard wise cracking like something from a 2019 light-sitcom. Yennifer's make over was just.. she looked like someone out of Hollyoaks. It just all felt like a bit of a mess.
  • A big deal was made early on about the price of magic and how you can't just conjure it out of nowhere - it always has a cost. This is forgotten very quickly with people conjuring magic out of nowhere for the remainder of the series, except when the plot needs it not to. The bit that stood out to me was Villentrentenmirth falling off the cliff whilst Yennifer doesn't do anything. 2 minutes later she's suspending dwarfs in mid air with the flick of a wrist. Magic appears to be very easy sometimes, but then impossible at other times.
  • Think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Nilfgaard very much came across like the bad guys, which didn't really ring true with the rest of the more grey-area politics and characters. I assume this is different in the games/books?

People shouldn't compare it to Game of Thrones at all, obviously. They are very different apart from surface similarities. But I felt it had a lot of problems in its own right. Was no one else bothered by this stuff? Or did you find it easy to look past it? I guess maybe one person's "it doesn't take itself too seriously" is another person's "it was a bit all over the place"?

Nevertheless, it is very fun. Cavill is excellent and perfectly nails his role. It's funny in places and I found the overarching plot very compelling. Some of the fight scenes are SO good. So visceral. Also I do love a bit of fantasy and it had cool, unique take on the genre. Never read the books or played the games, but pretty tempted now :).

I definitely agree on the cleavage aspect. I can't deny they were lovely to look at but it did detract from what was going on and made me think it was unnecessary/inappropriate (especially as the Niilfgard mage was wrapped up like a mummy).  

On 04/01/2020 at 20:29, Benny said:

The bit that made me laugh out loud the most was when Geralt

Reveal hidden contents

invokes the law of surprise, followed by, "... Fuck." Stupid Geralt.

I must be being really thick here because while funny, it's all in the delivery and I don't really get what's going on then. And I watched that bit more than once as the first time I was drunk and thought it must've been that. So he's bored at that point and just wants to fuck off elsewhere,

Spoiler

invokes the law of surprise in a blah blah way to cunningly excuse his way out without anyone either hitting each other again or being repaid because he clearly can't be arsed. But then why the "...fuck" when the pregnancy becomes apparent? Why is he even bothered rather than just shrugging and leaving? presumably it's got something to do with the law of surprise but I'm like, eh?

The law of surprise means he’s owed the next thing they get that isn’t expected - be it money, goods or in this case

Spoiler

A child

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I must be being really thick here because while funny, it's all in the delivery and I don't really get what's going on then. And I watched that bit more than once as the first time I was drunk and thought it must've been that. So he's bored at that point and just wants to fuck off elsewhere,

Hide contents

invokes the law of surprise in a blah blah way to cunningly excuse his way out without anyone either hitting each other again or being repaid because he clearly can't be arsed. But then why the "...fuck" when the pregnancy becomes apparent? Why is he even bothered rather than just shrugging and leaving? presumably it's got something to do with the law of surprise but I'm like, eh?

it made it pretty clear... he needs to ultimately 

look after Ciri

5 hours ago, John0 said:

The totally unnecessary tits and cleavage genuinely left me cringing and feeling embarrassed at really crucial moments. The final big battle, for example. Often Yennifer's boobs were the closest thing to the camera.. they deliberately shot it looking up at them. There's just no need. It really bothered me and took me out of the drama.

Did you not play the games? 

3 hours ago, scottcr said:

it made it pretty clear... he needs to ultimately 

Reveal hidden contents

look after Ciri

Erm, why? Where did it make that clear?

50 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Erm, why? Where did it make that clear?

the law of surprise was explained. He took it as a way to get out not expecting much then she was immediately sick making it obvious she was pregnant and Geralt went ‘fuck’. The Mage then explained it to him (or rather the viewer)

It's made pretty explicit and then reiterated by Dandelion in the next episode in case you missed it (when he's speculating as to why Geralt cannae sleep). 

It's also explained with Duny (hedgehog guy) and Pavetta's relationship. Duny invoked the law of surprise after saving Queen Calanthe's husband (King Roegner), when he returned home he found out he was a father, that daughter (Pavetta) is then Duny's to claim.

Oh right, so the crux of it is that the first sizeably good thing that happens to the person it's asked of after invoking becomes the windfall received by the invokee, and there's no way out of it because destiny won't allow it (or at least will be seriously fucked off if it's not claimed, or not allowed to be claimed). I had to go back a min or two earlier to watch the scene with them going through it about five times to get the full gist of it, it's not exactly crystal. So I guess if Roegner had found a bag of gold or whatever on the way home then Duny would've got that instead. 

59 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Oh right, so the crux of it is that the first sizeably good thing that happens to the person it's asked of after invoking becomes the windfall received by the invokee, and there's no way out of it because destiny won't allow it (or at least will be seriously fucked off if it's not claimed, or not allowed to be claimed). I had to go back a min or two earlier to watch the scene with them going through it about five times to get the full gist of it, it's not exactly crystal. So I guess if Roegner had found a bag of gold or whatever on the way home then Duny would've got that instead. 

pretty much... you’re leaving it to fate and destiny. In some cases it might mean you get a pig from a farmer... in others, you get to marry a princess.

1 hour ago, Mr Ben said:

The bit with the welsh bloke always cracks me up:

"And then what happened?"

"....he died"

"Ehhhh he's fine!"

:lol:

Genuine LOL when they all burst into 'Toss a coin for your Witcher!'

• Upvote 1

I have a little theory regarding Yennefer and Istredd. 

Spoiler

Prior to Yennefer's grim transformation she confronts Istredd about him revealing her elven blood. The two get into a heated argument, and with a lot of emotion behind his voice, Istredd says to Yennefer:

"No amount of power or beauty will ever make you feel worthy of either."

Did Istredd inadvertently curse Yennefer there? Possibly making her the hardened woman we know now?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I have a little theory regarding Yennefer and Istredd. 

Reveal hidden contents

Prior to Yennefer's grim transformation she confronts Istredd about him revealing her elven blood. The two get into a heated argument, and with a lot of emotion behind his voice, Istredd says to Yennefer:

"No amount of power or beauty will ever make you feel worthy of either."

Did Istredd inadvertently curse Yennefer there? Possibly making her the hardened woman we know now?

Certainly not in the books, as they don't meet until long after her time at Aretuza

You're really invested :D

• Upvote 1

Hehe, just applying some Witcher logic to that scene. 

And yes, I'm all in with this series. Fucking love it. They're soon to start filming season 2.

• Upvote 1

Reading the books and it's really weird to see what a mess the show does with the timelines. Doesn't work very well and I hope some sort of fan edit is done. The books tell a normal story and I don't get why they did this.

I suspect something went a bit wrong during the production of this. Maybe they couldn't get Cavill for as long as they needed him or they went way over budget, but besides the chronology being needlessly fucked with there's also some really dodgy direction and editing for such a high profile show. They regularly have quite good and sharp dialogue getting completely lost during weird cuts and wide angles, it's a bit of a mess. Each individual director has a decent credit list and yet the issues feel consistent throughout.

For me it started poorly, peaked strongly in the middle with the more stand-alone monster-of-the-week stories which had plenty of the core cast bouncing off each other, and then ended on a bum note. Geralt, Yennefer and the Bard are all great but Ciri quickly became an irritating combination of Kim Bauer and Sansa Stark with her scenes consistently dragging things down.

Generally speaking though I did enjoy it and I'm looking forward to more, so hopefully they can sort the issues out and hit the ground running next time. But please, no more mysterious prophetic visions and flashbacks, there's already been way, way too much of that shit and it's lazy as fuck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought the split timelines gradually being revealed and aligned was by far the most interesting thing about the show.

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

and it's lazy as fuck.

Er, that's nonsense. Lazy would have been to do a straight timeline, which would have been pants, and with no Witcher at all in the first one or two episodes of a TV series called The Witcher

I've put the timeline in the spoiler below - WARNING - SPOILERS!

Spoiler

ENszLlUUUAAewGX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Upvote 6

Title cards would have solved all that. Even a simple year at points :lol: the problem with having the same actors jumping around decades when they all look the same is you need to make it a lot more obvious.  Even more convinced it needs a better edit now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I finished this last night, and was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I loved the monster of the week/side-quest element, and the interwoven timelines.I also thought it was a brave (and earned?) decision to sideline Geralt a bit for the finale. needed a little extra budget for the battle, but hey ho.

As for the Triss actress complaints, she had nothing to work with really, so am reserving judgement until season 2. Fringilla on the other hand was terrible.

• Upvote 1