The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Doctor Shark

Finished off the final episode on the train home yesterday having binged it over the week. Bloody loved it!

I can see why it might not be for everyone (certainly some mainstream GOT fans will be disappointed) but I am totally hooked. I think the portrayals of most of the characters is spot on, it looks far better than I expected, the soundtrack is ace and I was very satisfied with the overall pacing of it across the series.

I know some people will think it's a bit 'slow', one mate said to me "urgh, I thought it was supposed to be about a monster hunter and there have only been about three monsters in it so far" but I think he's gone in with the wrong expectations. However I put a lot of time into The Witcher 3 and this felt like a perfect companion piece to that experience, so much so I think I might go back and do the DLC expansions that have come out since. I've also just started 'The Last Wish' book this morning as I just need some more from the world. 

Bring on season 2. "Oh valley of plenty" :sealclap:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Nightmare of the Wolf, the animated movie about a previous Witcher, is coming on 23 August.

Before Geralt, there was Vesemir — a cocky young witcher who delights in slaying monsters for coin. When a dangerous new power rises on the Continent, Vesemir learns that some witchering jobs are about more than just money…

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed this but I also have no idea why they needed to make the time jumps so unclear.  I'm guessing they are pre-empting the season 7/8 GOT thing where people start complaining about the inconsistent travel times by making sure it is inconsistent from the start.  To be honest considering their distate for the linear flow of time they could have started the series with the law of suprise feast, which I think might have been a better way to introduce some of the characters.

Also the last episode the desperate to have a sword fight mage, which lets be honest if you're a mage although the magic return the sword trick is nice, it's pretty damn shit as a power when your none-magical opponent can just not lose their sword constantly. 

However one bit I found quite amusing.  He got knocked down a hill in that fight, it looked like a hill, something you would roll down if pushed.  He gets knocked rolling down, it cuts away and then it cuts back to him hitting a tree at half height as if thrown, the 2 things just did not match up, made me laugh out loud it looked really out of place.

19 hours ago, Gommy said:

I enjoyed this but I also have no idea why they needed to make the time jumps so unclear.  I'm guessing they are pre-empting the season 7/8 GOT thing where people start complaining about the inconsistent travel times by making sure it is inconsistent from the start.  To be honest considering their distate for the linear flow of time they could have started the series with the law of suprise feast, which I think might have been a better way to introduce some of the characters.

This is a common complaint, so it's clearly valid, but I didn't have any trouble at all with the different timelines. It all seemed perfectly clear to me what was happening, and when. 

• 2 weeks later...