IGNORED

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Doctor Shark

Well, yeah, but the marketing pitch is terrible. "An unconventional family searching for truth in a dangerous world" couldn't sound more generic, especially considering how this "family" came together. I mean, Ciri saw her land burnt to ashes by the Nilfgaardian empire that led to her escape, not to mention the fact that a prophecy and the powers of destiny connect her and Geralt.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 31/05/2017 at 19:21, Talk Show Host said:

Well, yeah, but the marketing pitch is terrible. "An unconventional family searching for truth in a dangerous world" couldn't sound more generic, especially considering how this "family" came together. I mean, Ciri saw her land burnt to ashes by the Nilfgaardian empire that led to her escape, not to mention the fact that a prophecy and the powers of destiny connect her and Geralt.

Oh yeah, it just sounds so much more appealing when you put it like that.

No matter whom they pick there will always be a better choice for someone, so they can't win here. He is not a great actor, that's for sure, but I do think he has a bit extra in him and this is a good opportunity to bring it out, so he will give his best. Besides, the role of Geralt needs a bit of a natural stiffness and he is also obsessed with the games, so he understands Geralt better than other candidates. He has finished W3 twice and I actually prefer that than being interested in the books, since they will be covered by the show. They need to follow CD's vision in addition to the books when it comes to characterization and Cavill will be an excellent bridging factor. 

Besides, the show needs some superstardom in order to attract more people. This is still a pilot series of only 7 episodes, its future is far from secured. I think, as a whole, this is a quite good choice which covers a lot of bases, so I'm quite fine with it. 

My main worry is the writing, direction and general vision of the show. I don't think Netflix has the talent at this moment to approach it with a vision like HBO did for Game of Thrones and I fear they will either make it overly action oriented or the wrong kind of mature. The lead writer, Lauren Schmidt, previously led Daredevil, and that is not very encouraging for me. 

I’m the same not sure what to make of it - I have no issue with any actor / actress playing any role regardless of  ethenticity as long as it has no impact in altering an established characters history / motivations etc.. 

But in the case of ciri in the books / games she has always been a very pale almost albino, white character - changing her ethenticity means also then changing her father the emperor of  nilfgard ethenticty which then has impact on the books lore and history etc...   or they could forget that connection and come up with another back story for her thus changing her character.

Her mother could perhaps be the different ethnic origin, (not sure how much the books mention on the ethnicity of Cintra, I've only read the first). It also makes sense for her Elder Blood to perhaps give her a more 'outsider' appearance compared to everyone else. In the games she just looks like a young, female Geralt.

Also yeah, the hilarious desperately-trying-not-to-be-racist responses I've seen just make me like the decision more and more.