IGNORED

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Doctor Shark

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

ah - never thought about that.

Love that we're seeing more of the Witchery stuff in potions and signs so far.  

Yeah, there was Igni, Axii, Quen, Yrden and Aard in series 2. 

I was laughing as there was a wall behind Nenneke at one and I was "I'd Aard that" and then she makes reference to Geralt doing exactly that in the past.

I enjoyed this but I didn't like

Spoiler

The big bad. Particularly at the end, when they shoe horned it into a big fight sequence and also killed off a load of Witchers that seemed both like a waste and also not well developed enough for me to care. Veremir didn't have enough to do either.

It felt like if you were gunning for that sort of baddie, it needed to more like Gaunter O'Dimm - a physical attack is an obviously stupid idea and you have to play their game which makes the whole thing more dangerous. The poisoned conclusions would have been enough for that thread and I felt they needed tightened. Yennefer's power loss and restoration seemed arbitrary and the elves refusing to fight despite being housed in the heart of human territory seemed wildly, wildly stupid.

Really enjoyable though, and unfortunate it's probably a couple of years to the next one.

On 19/12/2021 at 00:38, Sidewaysbob said:

You sat though 5 hours of a total of 8 and then decided it was shit. For what reason? Why put yourself through that, I give up on shit TV after 10 minutes not 2/3rd of the way through a series. Life is too short for that sort of thing. Step back man. Stop torturing yourself. 

Besides which, you're wrong. It's great. 

I’m guessing you’ve never been in the Walking Dead thread?

Finished the season tonight and I don’t really know how I feel about it. It is very, very busy, with many of the different factions feeling undercooked and not having any real arc over the season. I feel as though the games and books are doing a lot of heavy lifting for people and if you’re unfamiliar with them, this does little to establish certain characters. The show does a terrible job with Vesemir, for example. 

Just about the only thing well developed about the factions is how bloody unlikable they all are, which feels like a failing of the show. Most of them are nasty pieces of work but do have redeeming qualities in the games. Not much here. Even the great White Flame is generally cold and does nasty things (or nasty things are done in his name) but is not really what you would call evil, but here they introduce him as

Spoiler

A baby killer, which goes beyond even what Fringilla, “I cut people open and read their guts or make people self immolate for trebuchet,” evil mage is willing to contemplate.

Just feels like the whole thing is a setup for the third season rather than being a decent story arc of its own. 

I thought the season was at its best in the first episode, what with having an actual Witcher tale rather than random monsters loosely tied into the overall plot, and 

Spoiler

in later episodes when Jaskier and Yarpin added some levity to the otherwise sombre and joyless tone of it all.  

Minor quibbles: Yen getting her powers back felt very arbitrary, and I don’t really get why the Deathless Mother thing became a rider of the Wild Hunt, either. 

My point is more that they don't need to be likable if they have motivations which are interesting and meaningful. Radovid is utterly unlikable in W3 but if he falls, so does the North. Here, if you aren't familiar with the lore, you probably wouldn't care if about 4 of the different factions were killed off. You can keep some of them mysterious to build something for a later series, like Dijkstra and Radovid, but here it seems loads of them are.

Spoiler

Rience might as well not be in it. You could literally replace him with a nameless hitman for all we know about him or what he wants.

The brotherhood have loads of very boring conversations over the course of the series for the upshot to be... talking to a bunch of kings we don't care about... who decide to put a hit on the Witcher and Ciri. Ok then.

Francesca starts off the series as a wide eyed idealogue and turns into a wide eyed psychopath. Am I supposed to believe that she, Filavandrel and the other elves were really so stupid as to believe they could turn their backs on the people who took them in, seem to hate them and have them heavily outnumbered?

31 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

My point is more that they don't need to be likable if they have motivations which are interesting and meaningful. Radovid is utterly unlikable in W3 but if he falls, so does the North. Here, if you aren't familiar with the lore, you probably wouldn't care if about 4 of the different factions were killed off. You can keep some of them mysterious to build something for a later series, like Dijkstra and Radovid, but here it seems loads of them are.

Hide contents

Rience might as well not be in it. You could literally replace him with a nameless hitman for all we know about him or what he wants.

The brotherhood have loads of very boring conversations over the course of the series for the upshot to be... talking to a bunch of kings we don't care about... who decide to put a hit on the Witcher and Ciri. Ok then.

Francesca starts off the series as a wide eyed idealogue and turns into a wide eyed psychopath. Am I supposed to believe that she, Filavandrel and the other elves were really so stupid as to believe they could turn their backs on the people who took them in, seem to hate them and have them heavily outnumbered?

The last point in particular really bothered me. It was rushed and daft.

The first one was annoying as the character felt like, and was about as threatening as, a Harry Potter character.

Harry, you're getting somewhat confused. Radovid is not in this TV show, at least not yet. Redania's king in this show is Vizimir (and yes, that's annoyingly easily confused with Vesimir, something I struggled with in Witcher 3 until I read up on older characters). 

Spoiler

Rience might as well not be in it. You could literally replace him with a nameless hitman for all we know about him or what he wants.

Agreed, and for me he was indeed a nameless assassin because I haven't played Witcher 1. I had to look the guy up. But what difference does that make? He was a still a reasonably good villain and there's some nice mystery as to who is behind him and the (very poorly acted) sorceress who freed him - though I believe I know who it is that's hired them both. One thing though, repeatedly referring to Rience as "fire-fucker" was a misstep for me. :lol:

Demavend of Aedirn and the Kaedweni Queen I don't really care about yet, but we haven't seen much of them. However, it was good to see Foltest again after his appearance in S1, and they've done some development with Radovid Vizimir this season. Honestly? It wouldn't surprise me if we never see Radovid in this TV show, with the showrunners instead merging Radovid's character into Vizimir. We've already got Redania persecuting elves just in W3.

But I do agree this is a busy season. I loved this season, but feels like it's in a rush to get to the storylines of the games, which is why I think the showrunners will ...

Spoiler

... skip Witcher 1, particularly the whole memory loss plot, because that's shite, and go straight to their own version of the story of Witcher 2 "Assassins of Kings".  I expect a few Royal heads to roll in the next two seasons, with Geralt at the very least suspected of one or more of the assassinations.

I do agree on one point you make though, the games and likely the books (I've only read The Last Wish) are indeed doing some heavy lifting. 

42 minutes ago, Festoon said:

The first one was annoying as the character felt like, and was about as threatening as, a Harry Potter character.

He mentioned something interesting:

Spoiler

That if you have a source of fire, you can draw chaos. I thought the payoff of this would be that Yen would figure this out or learn it from Jaskier and be able to use magic so long as she could access some fire, with Yen's main character trait (at least my view) being her personal strength, she could handle it without it consuming her.

But instead her access to this neutral primordial force of chaos comes back because she proves herself to be pure of heart. 😐

@Thor 

Spoiler

Fair enough with the Radovid/Vizimir thing, but it doesn't really make a difference to my overall point about him. I think Tissaia throws in a single line in the final episode to explain that Redania is the closest thing the North has to a superpower, which is what makes him more relevant.

I assumed the next series would have the war well underway, jumping to W3, but your guess is as good as mine. Maybe the whole hit put out on Ciri and Geralt is a clumsy way of introducing Letho?

I feel like they need a lot more than 8 hours to do justice to the story they're trying to tell. I much preferred S1 and will probably go back and watch it again soon.

31 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Was Dijkstra a Mage in the books? He certainly didn't seems to be in the games. He was more of a Gangster type in Witcher 3 and likable in a strange way.

He's not in either. He's just got a network of intelligence gathering.

On 22/12/2021 at 00:43, Sabreman said:

Loving season 2, but help me out here. I just watched episode 4, and maybe I missed a moment when I glanced down to pick up my mince pie, but

Hide contents

Did Triss not bother to let Geralt know Yennefer was alive?

Spoiler

Triss starts to name the mages who died but Geralt stops her before she can get to Yennefer as he thinks he already knows her fate. Then you have the awkward friend zoning moment.

That whole scene felt so forced. As though you could see the writers typing over the screen.

Spoiler

And considering I thought the "comedy" of errors was going to result in a righteously epic shag, I was surprised and disappointed that it didn't happen, considering how obviously it looked like that was the only reason the writers could have been forcing such an obvious plot contrivance. Way to have your cake but spectacularly throw it in the privy.

Spoiler

It's definitely a reach. Triss spends at least a couple of days there with Geralt, and at no point does she relate the dramatic tale of a huge battle turned by the sacrificial action of one mage who, presumed dead, ultimately returns alive and well.

I just think it's funny more than anything.

26 minutes ago, Sabreman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's definitely a reach. Triss spends at least a couple of days there with Geralt, and at no point does she relate the dramatic tale of a huge battle turned by the sacrificial action of one mage who, presumed dead, ultimately returns alive and well.

I just think it's funny more than anything.

Spoiler

Triss came out of that somewhat traumatised don't forget, and her burn scars are still there. It's not unbelievable that she wouldn't want to relive those events.

Just finished a rewatch of season 2. Something I picked up at the end:

Spoiler

Dijkstra asks Philippa to bring him 'the bard', refering to himself as the bard's benefactor. It's obvious who the bard is, but now I'm pretty sure Dijkstra didn't just know about Jaskier's smuggling operation to help the elves, he was funding it.

Interesting considering he's the right hand of the Elf-persecuting King of Redania.

But yeah, I still love this second season, and I really like where it's headed.

It’s a book adaptation not a game adaptation.

Hilariously, most of Harry’s complaints (

Spoiler

who is rience, who’s he working for, etc

) are basically directly from the books: you don’t find out till the second full novel.

(I don’t think the books are that good, and for similar reasons, but…)

it’s telling that the main fully realised plot line is tv only. 

(Because the book barely has one ;) )

10 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

I doubt he’s doing it to help anyone…

Oh I know that. He's a schemer, I just found it an interesting little detail that I had missed first time round.

12 minutes ago, footle said:

Reveal hidden contents

) are basically directly from the books: you don’t find out till the second full novel.

Are you so sure? Like I said previously, the series seems to be in a hurry to get to the plotlines of the games, and one episode of this season lifts, or at the very least pays homage to, a scene from Witcher 3.

And I agree on the books. I've only read The Last Wish, and while I mostly enjoyed it, it was clear that some of the stories in that book are filler. The quality of Sapkowski's writing is all over the place in that book, and that's why I have no interest in the rest of his work, and am glad the showrunners are deviating from it. 

53 minutes ago, footle said:

Reveal hidden contents

You keep banging on about the books, as if anyone cares. Things that will work in a book aren’t going to work in an 8 hour season, for obvious reasons. If it’s slavishly adapted the books to its detriment, then that’s the writers’ fault. 

It’s farcical to claim this isn’t a video game adaptation when characters’ appearances are lifted wholesale out of the video games. It’s clearly heavily influenced by the games. 

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s farcical to claim this isn’t a video game adaptation when characters’ appearances are lifted wholesale out of the video games. It’s clearly heavily influenced by the games. 

I think the games are used as reference for the visuals, but for the plot? Not really, afaik.

5 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Sure the games start after the events of the books, right?

not really, no. the witcher 3 in particular rips heavily from the last two books in the sequence and a few short stories. I’m always less sure about the witcher 2, and it’s so long since I played the first game that I genuinely don’t know what the hell was going on.

1 hour ago, footle said:

not really, no. the witcher 3 in particular rips heavily from the last two books in the sequence and a few short stories. I’m always less sure about the witcher 2, and it’s so long since I played the first game that I genuinely don’t know what the hell was going on.

It borrows story ideas but all of them are set after the books, I meant.