IGNORED

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Doctor Shark

12 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm only two episodes in so far and I'm enjoying it, although I didn't understand the point in 

Hide contents

bringing Eskel into it only to kill him off immediately.

Same here. A bit pointless, would have been as well not bothering.

OK, six episodes done. Please clarify somethings for me

Spoiler

last episode it looked like Yen had regained her magic which is how she got away from her arrest... now she's lost it again?

Why aren't elves having babies?

How did Fire Fucker know about the blood vial and why does he keep teleporting away from fights it looks like he could easily win?

Chad

Spoiler

Yen got away by agreeing to take the deal with the deathless mother. The deathless mother took her from harm's way and sent her off to find Ciri. At no point did Yen regain her magic. 

As for the elves and babies, fuck knows. 

And, again, fuck knows. Maybe he, as a mage, could send ethe power of the elder blood within the phial.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:
Spoiler

Yen got away by agreeing to take the deal with the deathless mother. The deathless mother took her from harm's way and sent her off to find Ciri. At no point did Yen regain her magic. 

Spoiler

Yeah I thought the Deathmother agreed to give her her magic back to escape in return for delivering Ciri. 

I'm still enjoying it though, not being burdened by expectation is noice. 

On 21/12/2021 at 21:26, BitterToad said:

This has just totally lost its way in season 2 hasn’t it? It’s gone from quite a fun, fresh take on fantasy that knew how to laugh at itself and turned into a bit of a slog of a thing. The usual people with long names stood in towers talking about other people with long names. 

Who gives a shit!? Go stab a big lizard or something! Entertain me! 

I might have been being a bit thick and it might have gotten better. Which is nice! I'm 4 episodes in and things are starting to move a bit and some of the lighter tone is back. I do have a few questions though... 

Spoiler

I've managed to forget most of the first season which is why I think I took against the start of the second, they don't half expect you to know your Vengerbergs from your Vesemirs. I've played the games but am still slightly confused...

I'm assuming that all of the guys that went to the beheading that didn't behead with Yen are the Northern leaders? Or at least the non Nilfgardian ones? My main question is why did Yennefer break that guy free (outside of not wanting to be a killer) and why is she sticking with him and why are they going to Cintra? Isn't Cintra where they came from? 

Who's the leader that's knocking about with Dijkstra from the games? Should I know him or is he new to this series?

Also what happened between Triss and Geralt in season 1? I've totally forgotten but vaguely remember her being in it. 

I think that's it for now. Any help would be much appreciated. 

I haven’t finished yet but I can answer some of those points I think.

Spoiler

Yes they were the northern leaders. King Foltest of Temeria was there, who was seen in season 1.

The leader with Dijkstra is Vizimir. He’s Radovid’s (from Witcher 3) father and king of Redania.

Geralt met Triss in season 1 while investigating the Striga princess for Foltest. They have presumably run into each other several times since then in the intervening years (the striga episode is set 20 years before the fall of Cintra apparently), and Triss has clearly been to Kaer Morhen at least once before she arrives in S2.

Another observation - this is much tighter, less episodic (with the exception of episode 1) and more political... feels more like the game than the books, which is a *good thing( IMO.  

Really laughed at the bit when Jaskier was trying to blag his way onto the boat and the guard was talking about one of his songs - he didn't realise it was different timelines till verse 4.  haha.

I think being a binge programme really hurts this… episodes 6 and 7 have been fantastic.

ep7

Spoiler

Frangelica killing the Nilfgardien captains was OMG - and really made me wince, but then the elf Baby bit! 

this programme would really benefit from allowing each episode to bed in for a week. 

3 hours ago, AstroBot said:

Have some self control and don’t binge?

That’s not the point… it’s about the shared experience of the build up. 

anyway, just finished it.

that was excellent. Cracking series 

Spoiler

Absolute facepalm when I forgot Emhyr was Ciri’s dad

One last thing…

im assuming I’m the only person watching this now…. Interesting Wild Hunt observations.

Spoiler

It looked as though the deathless mother possessed Eredin.

also interesting that they aren’t even pretending that the Wild Hunt are anything other than humanoids from another plane. Gets all that out the way quickly.

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

One last thing…

im assuming I’m the only person watching this now…. Interesting Wild Hunt observations.

Hide contents

It looked as though the deathless mother possessed Eredin.

also interesting that they aren’t even pretending that the Wild Hunt are anything other than humanoids from another plane. Gets all that out the way quickly.

I though it was more that

Spoiler

She was always a member of the Wild Hunt?

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Hide contents

I've read...

Spoiler

... that would make her an elf though?

theories that she is the crone's mother - and with the crones working with Eredin that may make a bit of sense.

5 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Reveal hidden contents

it's actually answered on Netflix.com

Spoiler

The Deathless Mother is just one of seven members of the Wild Hunt, a fearsome group of incorporeal riders from another sphere that bring doom wherever they go. Now that she has been reunited with her fellows, their full power will pose a threat to everyone on the Continent.

On 06/01/2022 at 19:11, scottcr said:

I'd pay good money for a Blood and Wine film.

Likewise, although Hearts of Stone has the stronger plot.

Man I'd love to see a well-cast Gaunter O'Dimm. That to me is a clear case of a videogame designing a look for a character that is nigh-on perfect, and the voice actor, Alex Norton really nailed it in performance. Amazing stuff from the Scot.

Edit: I've just gone to check who did Shani's voice and it was Susannah Fielding from This Time With Alan Partridge where she's great. Just cast her.

I think this thread needs a "no game chat" rule just like the "no book chat" threads. Otherwise openly discussing certain characters from the games might well spoil them in the series for a lot of people unfamiliar with them if/when they're introduced.

35 minutes ago, Benny said:

I think this thread needs a "no game chat" rule just like the "no book chat" threads. Otherwise openly discussing certain characters from the games might well spoil them in the series for a lot of people unfamiliar with them if/when they're introduced.

If they hadn't

Spoiler

killed off Eskel

already you'd probably have a point. At this stage what's going to happen is anyone's guess.