IGNORED

The Witcher - new TV series based on the books (not the games) coming from Netflix!

Doctor Shark

• 1 month later...

It looks pretty good, although it's clear (and obvious I guess) that Netflix doesn't have the budget levels of HBO to bring it to Game of Thrones levels of visual quality.

Still, not necessarily a problem as long as they get the 'grit' in there, which the trailer seems to do pretty well.

11 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Especially good was finding out why Geralt is known as the butcher of Blaviken.

I love that there are loads of little details and world building elements in the games that subtly reference the events in the books. Once I got to the Blaviken story in the books after already having rinsed the first game (still my favorite of the 3 despite its clunkiness), I was immediately like oooh shit this is that thing! And, like a lot of the Witcher short stories, it plays out exactly like the quests in the game - no clear good or bad sides/choices, bad shit can happen either way. You have to deal with the consequences.

Since the show is based on the books, I wonder if it will have the same effect on those who've only played the games. If the show will tell what happened in Blaviken... Geralt and Yennever's eventful first date... the child surprise... Stuff that explains a lot of the background story for the games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't shake the feeling that this all looks more Xena Warrior Princess than Game of Thrones but may just be the way these BTS clips have been put together. Looking forward to it though, might even compel me to finally finish Blood and Wine, only 4 years after starting it.

Possible spoilers of course.

I think it's going to be a mix of adaptations of parts of the early books, a fair bit of fleshing out unwritten backstories, and hints towards later books (that transitioned from short stories to a more classic fantasy trilogy.) So if you haven't read them, I doubt you're missing much, as it's going to cover that. W3 is set significantly after the books (and, I think, 2 - not sure about 1) so you'll be in the same boat as anyone who goes into it having only played the games.

To be honest, I actually don't really rate the author all that much. He's come up with a wonderful setting, and fantastic characters, but as I was approaching the end of The Last Wish (which in fairness is the only Witcher book I've read) I got the impression he was getting bored of writing, and rushed the final tales (TLW is a collection of short stories, as I recall).