IGNORED

PES 2018

Thread Owner

I'll be pre-ordering this, I just hope they've improved Master League mode. I pre-ordered 2017 but caved and traded it in at the end of Feb so I could get FIFA 17 when it was on offer on PSN. Basically because I was a bit bored with Master League and missed Ultimate Team. While UT is a fantastic mode I still believe that PES 2017 is streets ahead of FIFA 17 on the pitch. I've tried some other (non-UT) modes lately on FIFA and I'm regretting that trade. I should have snapped it up when it was stupidly cheap on PSN a little while back! 

4 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Some do. The game still isn't fully analogue. Running is either on or off on the stick, there is no in between. 

:blink:

No one plays with dpad anymore, because you can't and haven't been able to for years, and there is definitely analogue movement in both angles and distance. This is nonsense.

So an optional dpad option is there...Why is that holding back the game? I'd be willing to wager 99.9% of people don't use it and probably, like me, don't even know it's an option.

Also with regards to the distance on the analogue stick, without the ball I can definitely make my player walk. With the ball, I'm not sure, but you have R2/RT which allows you to keep close control. What functionality do you think you are missing?

The fact the game still supports Dpad suggests they aren't fully taking advantage of analogue. 

I couldn't make my player walk at all. It's either badly implemented or just not there. 

Control to me still feels far too one pace and digital. Even the N64 ISS game had better use of analogue than 2017. 

Not wanting to compare to FIFA, but the analogue is superbly implemented and allows you to control your speed much better. Moving slower onto a ball when receiving gives a shorter touch window. Analogue sprinting also helps. 

But, 2018 seems like it will make big strides in this area. Hope so.

Some of this is down to familiarity, but I find with PES that less is more. Despite technically having less control over the ball than in FIFA, I feel like I have more, because my options and those of the defender are more easily understood. PES strikes a balance that I find rewarding.

Plus its right stick stuff I find much more intuitive than FIFA's, which helps a lot.

I just want more to be fair. I want football games to be difficult. I want everything taken into account on the ball, angle of player, position of ball, contact with opponent's etc.

I also want skill moves to be more fallible too! 

So I want to remove the fun. :lol:

3 hours ago, nakamura said:

I just want more to be fair. I want football games to be difficult. I want everything taken into account on the ball, angle of player, position of ball, contact with opponent's etc.

I also want skill moves to be more fallible too! 

So I want to remove the fun. :lol:

I hear you on that. Well, maybe not removing the fun but depth of simulaton is a noble goal, but feel is more important. I find FIFA's approach to dribbling to be technically impressive but less rewarding to actually play with.

It's one of those situations where I can understand the comment some have said in the past about FIFA being more of a simulation than PES. That's something I broadly disagree with for the most part, because PES and ISS Pro before it was always a game that felt like it rewarded intelligent play. But here, in dribbling, I can see it - PES distills a player's motion down to discrete, appreciable chunks, and trades them against a similarly reduced set of defensive moves that are ultimately reliable. It's rock-scissors-paper on a slightly grander scale, but as a result when I give the ball to Messi, I feel I can replicate his incredible talent more than I've been able to in FIFA, yet without feeling too much like the game's doing it for me. 

I could also be shit at FIFA these days, but I feel maybe it's a little of both.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:22, g wings said:

Unless the online mode is significantly better than the previous version I won't be buying. I hate that thought as I love PES but I have found the lag in most games unbearable.

I have never had a problem with online lag for at least the past 3 games. Smooth as silk, so can't offer any solace for you there.

1 hour ago, *chin* said:

I have never had a problem with online lag for at least the past 3 games. Smooth as silk, so can't offer any solace for you there.

Yes, it's weird as I get no lag on other games such as Madden

I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played of the last few PES games but there’s always something that throws me out more than the lack of licenses ever could. In 2016, I couldn’t get past the inability of the keepers to save anything from distance.

I’ve only played a few games of 2017 so far but the fact that I’ve never seen an AI keeper perform a long goal kick has me gritting me teeth and fearing the worst. I’d prefer they completely remove the ability to take the - in real football, comparatively rarely used - short GKs if they cannot figure out a balance.