IGNORED

PES 2018

Thread Owner

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think that's a tricky one tbh. I've seen a few in the videos but yeah, probably not a huge amount. The thing is, it's easy to say you want more or that it's unrealistic but actually, they're really fucking annoying when you're playing. Maybe it's just me but I don't want the game stopping every 30 seconds. Sure, it means you go a virtual 20 minutes without stoppages a lot of the time but it's a videogame. 

I've noticed in recent years that FIFA's really gone for 'sim stats' (if not gameplay) and appears to get a lot of praise from some people for it but it kind of ruins the fun for me.

There are a lot of things that if you asked me, I'd tell you I wanted. I'd say I want the most hardcore sim football game possible, but in reality I probably don't.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It is difficult to balance this towards realistic fouls, but it would be nice to have a bit more, even some random ones in the midfield, maybe depending on pressure levels. 

Still, I was just having some fun with my post. I have stopped playing the series for some time, but this looks really good. 

7 hours ago, Pockets said:

There's an online beta starting from the 20th July I think. I believe anyone can take part. I don't have PS+ though so probably won't be able to but if you do it might be worth a go.

Yep, it's entirely open and it runs from the 20th to the end of July. 

20 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played of the last few PES games but there’s always something that throws me out more than the lack of licenses ever could. In 2016, I couldn’t get past the inability of the keepers to save anything from distance.

I’ve only played a few games of 2017 so far but the fact that I’ve never seen an AI keeper perform a long goal kick has me gritting me teeth and fearing the worst. I’d prefer they completely remove the ability to take the - in real football, comparatively rarely used - short GKs if they cannot figure out a balance.

Just wanted to say that this post hasn’t aged well. The very next game I played and all but one of the opposition goal kicks were long. :rolleyes: So I’ll have to concede that I’ve erred there.

Still not enough AI fouls, but I think that’s the case for just about every football game I’ve played for at least the last decade.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think they have the Argentine league so if he is playing he'll be in.

That league is in and therefore so is that team but they're quite lazy with the database. I'll be surprised if they put him in, at least not from the beginning. It's become a bit of a running joke how out of date the database is when the game first comes out. I still remember being shocked that Welbeck was actually at Arsenal. :lol:

The Veron thing was a pretty big story though, so hopefully they're aware of the situation: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/16/juan-sebastian-veron-comes-retirement-boyhood-club-age-41/

27 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Had a couple of games. It does take about a minute to matchmake but this is apparently beta related and something that won't happen in the full release, though I don't see how they can possibly know this.

In my first game there was the odd instance of lag but nothing game breaking. I've often had the same type of thing in FIFA so no worse than that. The second was pretty smooth throughout. I should say though, that I've rarely had huge problems although I also rarely play online so I don't think I count here.

As for the game, the main thing that stands out for me is the pace. It's absolutely perfect. Not everyone will agree but I like a slower game. It's really hard to describe but it captures that feeling of inertia and having to strain a bit to collect imperfect passes. You can't zip things with ease unless you're very good or get lucky. Each pass has to have a second of consideration and the way you collect it will impact your next move.

In both games I had to work to create chances but when I even got a sniff of one it was exciting. Defenders no longer catch up with pacey forwards so if you do get one free it really feels like something could be on as opposed to last year where you knew if you weren't quick Mertesacker would catch you.

Those are a couple of things I felt after two games and they sound like praise but I'm really not sure what others will make of it. It's the kind of thing I want, in some ways to me it feel like the most realistic football game I've played, but it is that PES 'hyper-realism' of comic book football still to some extent. The 1970 World Cup as opposed to modern football.

TLDR version - Weight and inertia.

How is tackling and defensive pressure in this?  I felt holding down pressure & tackle in PES 2017 made it too easy to press & tackle.

only had a quick go but my initial one word takeaway was it felt 'stiff'

not going to judge it on that alone but last years incarnation felt like it flowed, this didn't have that initial feeling.

like I say its not a judgement - last couple of years I've gone PES & FIFA (having been a long time convert to the EA series after falling out with PES in its dark years) but this year think I'm just going PES, so will put some more time in.

1 hour ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Because i'm weird, football games are ALL about the atmosphere and Commentary for me. 

this is where Pes 14,15,16,17 has consistently fell short.

i hold little hope for the atomspherics on Pes 18 :(:( 

( and thiose spartan meuns )

The beta commentary is exactly the same as PES 17 as I can tell so far. Including...

"More and more and more and more!  They are running riot!"  :(

• 2 weeks later...

So in news I'm frankly gobsmacked doesn't have its own thread or 7 already, the best football game in the world seems to have partnered up with the best football team in the world. 

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-agree-partnership-pro-evolution-13431119

We- Fulham Football Club will have Pro Evo on the backs of their kits and all 11 heroe- players will be recreated with full body scans so that all of the millions of football fans that inevitably pick up Pro Evo can finally have the Tim Ream they deserve. 

All of those poor English fans who've never even heard of Barcelona no longer have to worry! Get yourself down to Craven Cottage, go into the club shop and a copy of the game adorned with Fulham's many household names will finally be yours. 

Basically, all joking aside, and it's very rare that the phrase "I for one" literally applies to only one person in the entire world, but, I for one am thrilled at this news as a fan of both Pro Evo and the mighty Black and Whites. 

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Having played even more 2017 Master League, my main hope for this year is a budget adjust for Master League finances. 

Oh god yes, I ended up with hundreds of millions in the bank doing nothing in my main ML. 

Really liked the feel of 18, am tempted to get it for PC as they're promising it'll be proper this time.

23 hours ago, BitterToad said:

So in news I'm frankly gobsmacked doesn't have its own thread or 7 already, the best football game in the world seems to have partnered up with the best football team in the world. 

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-agree-partnership-pro-evolution-13431119

We- Fulham Football Club will have Pro Evo on the backs of their kits and all 11 heroe- players will be recreated with full body scans so that all of the millions of football fans that inevitably pick up Pro Evo can finally have the Tim Ream they deserve. 

All of those poor English fans who've never even heard of Barcelona no longer have to worry! Get yourself down to Craven Cottage, go into the club shop and a copy of the game adorned with Fulham's many household names will finally be yours. 

Basically, all joking aside, and it's very rare that the phrase "I for one" literally applies to only one person in the entire world, but, I for one am thrilled at this news as a fan of both Pro Evo and the mighty Black and Whites. 

So if I go down to Craven Cottage in late September I'll be able to buy a copy of the game with Fulham players on the cover?

24 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

We can't sign anyone cos of minus 8m wage budget, yet over 300m for transfers.

missed out on Ronaldo because of it. :(

(Dirk Kuyt seems to be stuck at 103 rating, for those interested.)

Yeah I;ve never seen a player over 103