IGNORED

PES 2018

Thread Owner

Konami really don't help themselves. I bought a scout at auction - a process that isn't explained properly anywhere and I'm still not quite sure how it works - and I couldn't find him. He wasn't in my scout list and there was no button to 'accept' or similar on my watchlist.

Turns out you have to go to your ingame email inbox and receive him that way, which I only discovered after checking every single menu I could find.

Plus having Neymar still in a Barca shirt on the actual title screen every time you load the game up is frankly amateur hour.

Which is all shame because it really does play a cracking game of football. Controlling space is important, a solid defence is the framework just like in real football and the way the players move, pass and play with each other is genuinely lovely. I've scored a couple of belting passing moves, I've conceded because I made a mistake and I've really enjoyed every moment of it.

I'm genuinely looking forward to getting better at this.

The scout auction confused the fuck out of me. I assumed people were selling scouts they have earned like you buy and sell players in FIFA's Ultimate Team. But no, it seems they are just randomly generated scouts. Because when I looked at selling one of mine, it just offered me a fixed price of 100GP with no option to sell at auction. 

Yeah, I love the actual game, especially with the Daymos option file installed as its quite a looker on the Pro and plays a nice game of football.

Crosses feel a little OP as all my goals come from them, but I've only played CPU so far and still can't find an option to set the CPU level anywhere !

I looked at the scout auction last night, bid 4k for a cheap one and won the first round of the auction, then it said I had to bid again in round 2, so what was the point of round 1 exactly ?

Am I the only one with moans ON the pitch then? There's a really fun game in there somewhere but I'm finding that it's heavily obscured by frustration at the moment.

Player switching is absolutely fucked. This has been a constant complaint with modern football games but this is easily the worst I can remember. If it wasn't for the extra cursor telling you the next player (which is a great idea and I hope it becomes standard) it'd be pretty close to unplayable for me. I've found myself wondering if they actually added that because they knew they had a problem and were struggling to fix it. Obviously I need to get into using the right stick, but the L1 option shouldn't be this bad.

Players just not reacting to the ball. So often they just stare, entranced, as it rolls inches away from them. It happens all over the pitch but obviously it's mainly an issue in both boxes. The amount of times there's been a loose ball in the opposition area and your players just don't do anything when they've got a tonne of time and space for a free shot is mental.

Defenders constantly taking touches when you just want them to clear the fucking thing. This happens all the time but I just had my best two examples in the Champions League final on MyClub. Played really well and should've got the win, but conceded two.. The first I was hammering X to clear the ball off the goal-line but naturally the defender decided that was a good place to take a touch first and knocked it into his own goal before clearing it. The second wasn't quite as bad but came down to the same issue in a goalmouth scramble. Clawed my way back into the game but naturally ended up losing, on penalties. Stuff like that is just not fun.

Crosses are indeed ridiculous but I'm hesitant to complain about that since if they got nerfed there'd hardly be any goals at all and I'd rather there be a bit of action, at least.

Defending in general seems a mess due to all of the above and a general lack of responsiveness. I'm becoming a bit more effective, but it feels like it's more a case of learning to paper over the game's faults rather than me 'getting better'.

Hopefully some or all of these can be improved but at the moment I've got that annual 'I've been taken in by the demo of a football game' feeling.

The main issue I have, is the opposition AI keep playing the same ball all the time. Lofted through pass over my defence to get in behind. I have adjusted tactics, played deeper, played with fullbacks dropping deep, everything I can think of and they still do the same thing. 

Also, from what I could remember even in the PS2 days, each team played differently, this year they all seem to be trying to play the same. 

I am still enjoying the game overall, but it may get old pretty quick if this keep up. 

I am coming at this from someone who really only plays MyClub, but the times where I play against the CPU (like the Champions League cup Rsdio mentioned) I can't say I agree with much of the above.

Player switching is all about the right stick switching. L1/LB can only get so far, I agree it could be better but decisions have to be made about who should be selected and everyone will have a different opinion. I have no doubt had frustrating, "I didn't want to pick him" moments, but it's difficult for the developers to mind read for every scenario.

Players not reacting can be mitigated with proper player switching and Super Cancel use. I can't say that it's been much of an issue for me though to be honest.

Defenders taking an extra touch are definitely a lot less of an issue this year than previous years, mostly because X is an instant hoof as opposed to having to build the power up. I haven't come across any issues yet, but I can see that it might happen at an inappropriate time.

I did find that crosses seemed a bit OP in the demo, but playing the main game and I can't say that they are, if anything I wish my players were a bit more clinical when attacking crosses. The number of times I have been on the end of a cross, inside the 6 yard box, smack in the middle of the goal, only to see the resulting header skew wide, is ridiculous.

Defending I feel has a real good feel to it. I've put more time into playing MyClub and checking out the opposition play analysis and adjusting my defensive instructions accordingly. They like playing long balls > man mark, through balls > Swarm the box, possession game > gengenpress, narrow midfield > hug the touchline. Granted, I can't really comment on how the AI plays against you as I've haven't much experience, but any games I have had haven't been the one dimensional football that has been described here.

1 hour ago, *chin* said:

Player switching is all about the right stick switching. L1/LB can only get so far, I agree it could be better but decisions have to be made about who should be selected and everyone will have a different opinion. I have no doubt had frustrating, "I didn't want to pick him" moments, but it's difficult for the developers to mind read for every scenario.

Is it really that complicated though? In my head you just need L1 to switch to the closest unselected player to the ball and if you want someone less obvious, then it's time for the right stick. Air balls obviously have different requirements and I haven't noticed anything problematic with those really.

1 hour ago, *chin* said:

Players not reacting can be mitigated with proper player switching and Super Cancel use. I can't say that it's been much of an issue for me though to be honest.

Surely you shouldn't need to mitigate and do split second super cancels when all a player needs to do it literally move his foot a couple of inches to claim a loose ball, get on the end of a cross or swing for a shot? For the stuff I'm talking about you didn't need to on ISS Pro Evo and that was 20 years ago. Of course weird/stupid stuff would sometimes happen but it's been consistently striking for me with this. I keep wondering if I need to fine my lads for being out on the piss the night before the games.

Edit: Just fired it up for another game and straight away.. The opposition cross the ball over but it's no problem I've got a guy there to clear it, he's all selected, it's floating directly towards him and only an inch over his head, just hammer X and he'll head it away, oh he hasn't even jumped for it, has done literally nothing and the oppostion player behind him has scored. Maybe they've programmed in that Michel Vorm loves giving his defenders shouts to leave it or something.

1 hour ago, *chin* said:

Defenders taking an extra touch are definitely a lot less of an issue this year than previous years, mostly because X is an instant hoof

I know what you're saying here but.. If only it was instant! I'd be basking in my special agent card afterglow right now. It being worse in previous years doesn't really excuse it, it seems like such an easy thing to get right. Press X in your own penalty area = boot it vaguely in whatever direction you're pressing.

If you're not having issues with the above then I can well imagine that defending as a whole would seem fine, but it reads like you're pretty experienced and well used to using the advanced controls. Obviously that should be rewarded but I really don't feel they should be necessary just to have a game that doesn't feel completely ragged when you're defending. A lot of it just feels like poor basics to me. I only played a few hours of 2017, the first one I'd touched since the PS2 days, and defending wasn't an issue at all. In fact nearly all my games were 0-0, regardless of difficulty!

1 hour ago, *chin* said:

I did find that crosses seemed a bit OP in the demo, but playing the main game and I can't say that they are, if anything I wish my players were a bit more clinical when attacking crosses. The number of times I have been on the end of a cross, inside the 6 yard box, smack in the middle of the goal, only to see the resulting header skew wide, is ridiculous.

Yeah, it's definitely the effectiveness of crosses themselves rather than the finishing from the crosses. I've scored plenty but have also had some comical misses - low crosses in particular I love skewing past the far post when it's easier to score. It seems easier to score 20+ yarders than those at the moment. The CPU loves a long-range worldy too.

Obviously I'm whining a lot here but it's only because it's so nearly amazing and the things holding it back seem so silly. When it's good it's really satisfying and genuinely good fun. A football game being fun seems like such a novely after the joyless wars of attrition I've had with FIFA over the past few years.

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The regen thing royally fucked me off. I don't mind too much having regenerated faces and names but when they come with the same skills, it takes any fun out of developing youth. That no-name kid in your ranks isn't going to be the next Messi, because Lionel Messi is sat right beside him.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually likes this. It's fun when you play Old Boys and you can see who will be recycled. Plus you can make almost anyone good if you play them enough, so it's fun to have a 104 rated Dirk Kuyt in my team.

The bit being able to adjust the budget between salary and transfer funds is a killer though. Can anyone confirm if that's changed or not?

@Rsdio Yeah, I don't think most of what you have described about the defending is what happens for me. Certainly your description of the latest goal is not reminiscent of what I see. Depending on player momentum, positioning, skill, etc. I can't say that what has happened is out of the ordinary. I generally feel like these is a reason for it.

One thing that I do have issue with is that I feel that when online there are random decisions made on which team is going to perform well. I could be passing the ball around with fluency in one match then the next has every pass go a foot in front of or behind the intended recipient. All of the player "emotions" are fine or better but they still can't pass 10yds away.

What format are you on, out of interest? I saw one or two comments on release day that the PS4 and PC versions felt different but couldn't really imagine why that might be the case this year so assumed it was probably psychological.

Managed to get my Champion's League agent card at least. Oh nice, it's a gold one for a change.. Victor fucking Moses :lol:

Forgot to mention something which I outright LOVE and that's the Japanese commentary option which takes me right back to WE6FE on the Gamecube. And since there's more of it these days I get to learn even more native Japanese words, such as 'overlappu'.

@Rsdio I'm playing on Xbox

I've never really looked at the auction house but did stick a 5-star Armenia scout on my wishlist. When it cam up last he was going for 29k and I didn't have enough. Have over 60k now so will be looking at that the next time it comes around. Still need to find another 5-star scout that Mkhitaryan fits with though.

I keep on chucking my 10 grand every day at the champion league agent at 10k a pop and signing 70ish ranked silver players I’ve mostly never heard of.

I’ve done it so many times now my team ranking is too high for the initial manager you get given meaning all my players now hate each other (or something to that effect) 

Really starting to click with this again for the first time since Pro Evolution Soccer 5. Remembering how to use feints, dummies, etc to open up space using the players who run off the ball to create space for either you or another player. 

Too many years of FIFA ruined me I think. Where the tricks and skills didn't seem to work in the same way. 

It did lead to a moment in a game vs the AI where I was 3-0 up and cruising, so tried a rainbow flick with my CB, it went wrong, bounced off his back and into the path of their striker to make it 3-1. The game turned in that moment as they scored another quickly and I was left hanging on at the end. 

I also in that game noticed the AI really change their tactics, from just trying to knock it around so as not to lose more goals, to pumping the ball into the box in the last 5 mins. 

Yeah, I am back on board!

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Just done the bit edit ready to start this years Master League save on Friday.  Big shout out to @disperse and recoagulate's child for giving him the time off work to do this years St. Helens kits.  Though the third kit, that he hates and I made is the secret best.

Reveal hidden contents

9StQXac.jpg

The real kits to compare 

Great looking kits!

How are you finding ML in general?  Transfers, AI etc

Is the demo much different to the released game as i have been reading that crosses are now harder to score?

Ordered the game today and i think i'm going to use Dortmund. Even without Dembele, they press aggressively (on the demo) when they lose the ball. I want to have a mess around with tactics as i always use the default formation and just change players in the starting line ups.