IGNORED

PES 2018

Thread Owner

• 1 month later...

Having only played 2016 and 17 briefly (and not getting into them) i'm addicted to 2018. Once you have the proper kits, it's the best football game in a long time.

There are some problems for me that i can see some other people have experienced but they don't break the game. Through balls are too easy at times, player switching is a bit dodgy too (more of a problem on co-op) and passing sometimes go to the wrong player (everything on default/auto) but the game just feels right. I know there are hate campaigns on Reddit about people demanding their money back for being sold a broken game which is exaggerating to say the least. I would like to see some options added such as random selection matches online but they're minor things.

I love the variety of goals you can score and the best mode above all is online co-op. I know you could do this in the PS2 days because it was the first online game i played, but i like how it gives each individual player points depending on how they're playing. If i don't play co-op, the online divisions are pretty good too. Random selection matches are brilliant.

How are people finding playing against the computer?  I've only read negative comments saying there is a lot of scripted, elastic banding going on, and every team on higher difficult levels basically play like Barca.

And anyone playing Master League?  How is it?

(First PES I've not bought blah blah...)   

It's telling that I haven't touched it since the first couple of weeks, I decided I'd wait for a patch so it's great news that one's finally on the way. As it stands it's tantalisingly close to being brilliant, but the issues it does have really drag the whole experience down and with so many other great games out it's hard to keep going back in when you know you're guaranteed to get irritated.. Beyond the normal irritations you fully sign up for by playing a football game, I mean.

12 hours ago, Pockets said:

They like a lobbed through ball to the wings and yeah, all a bit samey - that's why playing it on a lower difficulty is more fun. Too easy but not with manual passing - that way you get error from you and the shittier COM.

When you say shittier COM, do you mean that offers a bit more variation in how they play?  

58 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I find on pro level they’re a bit more random - probably just ‘worse’ but more interesting. I’ve always found this with FIFA too. Up to a point the ai is naturally varied due to error but once you get to the higher levels they play to a certain winning template of similar patterns. You can beat them, but it’s not much fun. 

It is way too easy on these lower levels though which is why you have to make it harder for yourself with manual controls, IMO, to balance it out. I’m having a nice UEFA Cup campaign on pro, fully manual, which is challenging but fun. I probably do still dominate but fall apart in the final third a lot when more intricate passes are required and I can’t auto ping them to feet. I find this quite realistic myself. 

Cool, thanks for explaining in detail.

I'm gonna wait til the patch to see if anything changes... Plus, a lot of folks are saying ML is a shitshow with transfers and such like.

9 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Not a huge player of footie games, but I presume that for some kickabouts the Myclub Lite would be a good option to have some fun with? Will I be more restricted with the MyClub mode than people who have the full game?

I think it's the full mode - nothing is restricted.

From what I've read, the update has not done a lot to improve the overall game. 

- Player switching is faster, but still flawed.

- COM maybe commit more fouls, but they have now more of a super-human tackling ability.

- No ML updates (not that they said there would be).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally played the demo. Seems more refined but essentially the same. Like last year's the players turning circle is too slow, and the keepers are superhuman. So I can't play how I enjoy, which is doing one-twos through the centre resulting in a tidy low finish. I'd spent ages online just moving horizontally in the opponents half, twisting and turning, finding gaps to get closer before the final flick results in a free run to goal. And if I can do it sometimes it's not as much fun. Do I want realism, or do I want fun? Fun, I...think.

At its best pro evo for me was about trying to break down defences with a sequence of slick passing, if it's cumbersome to do with no fluidity to how you can do it then there's not much reason for me to play. My favourite games online are still probably with the Xbox 360 pro evos. It was more mechanical but faster. It didn't matter how you received the ball, heavy touches and slow turns weren't a thing so you could just ping it around, and that was still true with some adjustments up to pro evo 2015. There's a delay now to your touch on the turn, the defender is in there. I can't get flow so that it becomes second nature. All this would maybe matter less if the keepers weren't superhuman, as you waste all your effort in getting that free space and shot inside the box only to strike it hard and low and see the inevitable save. 

Admittedly, I am playing this on PS3 because I am poor (tight really), and single player only, but to me it's possibly the most fun I've had with a football game since PES4/5 on the old Xbox. I would say stick with it as the flow is amazing when you get into it. In fact I would also say that it is a quite easy game, even on the higher levels, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting to grips with it.

I really should update to PS4 though. Maybe next year. :D

It's better with the speed turned up, but it's online I'd be playing it for. The developers want to emphasize the physicality robustness of the football, what with the vibration as well, the little duels between opposing players in a match. Did score a quite brilliant goal with Busquets earlier on his left foot, running up on edge of box and powering an off the post curler. 

Everyone sees football games differently really. I want to play like Barcelona, I endlessly tinker with my formation and tactics to overload in midfield and have options and runners. 

I think with pro evo 2 on the ps2 it felt like the developers were trying to make The Best Football Game Ever, the amount of new game modes they included, and little ideas, the new replays, tricks, challenges, all not necessary to being the best football game ever, but a sign of their intent. 

Now it's just an expected yearly thing, I'm guessing but 6 months tweaking stats/modes/online testing/whatever while a second team builds a new engine. I have no idea, but it still grates the replays are so limited - very few camera options, still prefers to give you zoomed in super low view. Doesn't allow long replays for passing move goals, few save options for replays or teams. They do tinker with how they present player stats it seems even though it's never been necessary - red equals supreme skill, let's change it to green, but lets limit the amount of qualities that are assessed.

I think by now with the enthusiasm of the pro evo 2 developers they'd have modes like 'repeat a classic goal', which I've always wanted but would probably be naff in reality (so the closer you are to scoring the goal identically the higher your score). Or other silly stuff like recreating a 5 a side pitch and having you walk in as Messi, and taking part in a game. 

At least create a 5 a side pitch and let you play on it. I loved all the challenges in the PS2 pro evos before they abandoned them. 

They can't even have it so online you can choose to play with people who agree on the same settings, like faster game speed or 30 minute games. Plenty of times I've got a game with someone on my friends list (who I don't know except playing them previously and enjoying how they play, so friending) and wishing to get a longer game, because after one match we both get other opponents in the lobby and after 40 minutes of playing they go offline for another month. They're not so bothered to join a party really.

Pro Evo 2 was absolutely amazing I completely agree. I bought a PS2 specifically for that game and it did not disappoint. It still plays well today. I have a GameCube copy and despite the Japanese language it is brilliant.

13 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

So I can't play how I enjoy, which is doing one-twos through the centre resulting in a tidy low finish

That's still possible, but it can't be done like it could in the older games. You need to pay a lot more attention to where your players are, instruct the right ones to make moves, and make use of the ability to send the passer on a run (either casually, or bombing forward) when he releases the ball. Some of my finest moments in this come from slick passing moves that unlock a defence, before slotting it into the corner. 

I don't play online though because that's my idea of hell.

I picked this up in the last PSN sale and play it on whatever the default speed and with the PESUniverse patch. I play it on the second highest difficulty and to be honest I'm not very good with players running around like headless chickens and barely any tricks but it does play a good game of football and I find this version a lot trickier than 2017. Two big differences I've noticed is some additional commentary if you take charge of an international team for example and goalkeepers dawdle on the ball a lot more than before, I've even managed to score a couple of goals against the AI by tackling the keeper before he kicks the ball away. There are still some annoyances and I've had games where standing tackle (X) never works and only seems to result in a booking whereas in the next game it works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

So no more Champions League for PES from now on. Shame, as I do think it differentiated them in a FIFA dominated world. My big fear, though I'm trying not to overreact, is that this could be a sign of the end of PES and Konami. They seem to be slowly pulling themselves out of gaming, and not opting to renew this feature could be the beginning of the end of it all.

PES has been my go-to football game since it was ISS on the N64. I would be absolutely gutted if it finished. 2018 was for me by far and away the best football game I've ever played, but being the best game has seemingly never been enough. A better idea for me would be for Konami to ditch the yearly versions. The fan made patches could really make up the difference here, and it's not like FIFA suddenly lurches in front each year in gameplay terms. If they've given up on the licences, why not improve the editing and make that easier?

I dunno, but don't die on me, PES.

The career mode in FIFA may be better but if I'm playing 45 matches a season against the AI, I want the on-pitch action to be as good as it can be. PES is much more satisfying in that regard, so as long as that continues I'll be picking it up.

PES absolutely should embrace a powerful editing mode. I'd like to see more emphasis on that, with the ability to add more teams and competitions rather than simply edit those that already exist.