IGNORED

PES 2018

Thread Owner

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Is FIFA career mode just like Master League?

More or less, but with far more leagues, training drills, pre-season friendlies and tournaments. It's generally just a bit more involved. Also it doesn't stick retired players in your youth team as grizzled 16 year olds, an approach PES takes which is kind of a mixed bag. 

8 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

More or less, but with far more leagues, training drills, pre-season friendlies and tournaments. It's generally just a bit more involved. Also it doesn't stick retired players in your youth team as grizzled 16 year olds, an approach PES takes which is kind of a mixed bag. 

Is the transfer system any good?  And player growth, do you get development stats like PES?

I can't answer fully, I'm afraid, as I haven't really delved into the FIFA career mode since FIFA 15. A look at recent editions indicated it hadn't really changed much. The transfers are probably better than PES given they've got more realistic values and a better negotiation system. I can't remember too much about the player development though.

I've watched a little of it on YT, it looks good but it doesn't have a 'default players' option which is a little disappointing.   Nevertheless I may purchase this year since after not buying PES18, I I have a ML itch that needs scratching.

I loved the default players in the original Master League from ISS Pro Evolution, but I've never bothered with it in recent versions. I think in my brain it doesn't gel with the correct leagues. Like it only makes sense with the crazy super league.

They should bring that back, of course.

18 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

While I'm asking for changes, I'd like legends to not be restricted to myClub, please. Or at least, not require it to unlock them for possible Master League use.

If I want Ian Rush and Usain Bolt to lead my Tours attack, then I'll have it dammit!

I've wanted this for years also.  I can't see it happening though since it's clearly a feature used for attracting players to this mode and it's microtransactions. 

In fairness I'm still on PES 2017 (I bought 2018 but I wasn't done with Master League so I've stuck with it. I'll probably skip 2019) so I can't comment on the latest engine but I really do prefer the default players. I don't use manual controls mostly because I learnt one way to play Pro Evo back in the PS1 days and I can't be bothered to relearn the controls. I don't even use tricks, it's all pass and move.

I really like taking no names up to the top division, my ML team now has a smattering of 'top' players, I have a handful on loan in weak positions to keep me competitive but I enjoy taking Regens and free transfers and training them up. I've got an 18 year old Ricardo Carvalho who's an utter beast in defence already and a 17 year old Torres who's rough around the edges but starting to shine a bit.

I enjoy the challenge of taking players who I know will become legends in their 30s but have long development curves. Pirlo is in my side and can't do anything except pass. I've paired him with a young Gerrard who's still just average and a Cambiasso who can defend well but has the turning circle of a tanker.

I've also got some of my original squad in the first team, they just kept improving and now they're actual stars. FIFA has never given me any of this and playing it without the tricks is just boring and mechanical.

58 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Is there anything I can do to help with the atrocious lag and bafflingly long waits between menus? I'm on PS4, about to delete it out of frustration.

No, and it's the same trash every year. PES continually gets excused for this stuff just because it's the only alternative to FIFA.

• 1 year later...

Big bump.

Ok so I've been PES 2018 Lite (MyClub only)for a bit. Only just starting to understand how everything works.

Only just discovered that training a player with a player that is in the same position, club, country and playing style gives you a mega EXP boost (I only knew about the position).

So my question is, is it in my best interest to get the guy I'm using as an 'EXP trainer to get to level 20 or so, before using him on the player I want to train?

Short answer, no. 

Whilst that would potentially bump up the amount of exp points you’d get for him as a trainer, you’d be better off spending those trainers/game time you’d use to get him to Level 20 on the original player you want to level up. If that makes sense :) 

If I manage to get duplicate players and one is level 1 and one is level 20, which one should I turn into the trainer? 

Do contracts get more expensive as a player levels up? Should I just renew my players contact to 50 or whatever to save money? 

My MyClub team is mostly 80s. I get promoted up to Superstar and find it really hard to win. It sucks all the fun out of the game.I end up stuck in this annoying purgatory of being too good for Top Player and not good enough for Superstar. I keep getting promoted, then relegated, then promoted etc. 

I'm also having trouble shooting. I had it on basic for ages, and it seems nigh on impossible to score from outside the box. The goalkeeper always just palms it away, it never goes far enough into the corners. If I aim a bit further it just goes wide. The ball seems to go wide a lot. 

I decided to change to advanced shooting, watched a video tutorial on how it worked etc. I managed to score a decent low driven drive, but I also missed super easy chances. I seemed to shoot over the bar constantly even with a light press off the shoot button.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to score effectively?