rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MDY

Critical Role Tal'dorei Campaign book

Amazon listing is up: 12th September release date..

UPDATE: actual cover..

GRR3602_big_66918cc4-d4fc-434e-a8e9-e3d1

Temp cover:

Spoiler

61nHn0uQmrL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Critical Role has taken the roleplaying world by storm and now you can join the adventure!

Until now, the wondrous and dangerous lands of Tal'Dorei have been the sole stomping grounds of the show's adventuring company, Vox Machina. But now, you can explore these realms in a tome from the pen of Game Master Matt Mercer himself!
Will you find one of the revered Vestiges of Divergence or perhaps discover part of the Chroma Conclave's legacy? Can you help the Ashari in their sacred charge to prevent the elemental vortices from overwhelming the world, or will you find yourself embroiled in the machinations of the Clasp?
This setting book takes an in-depth look at the history, people, and places of Tal'Dorei, and includes new backgrounds, magic (seems like there should be more text here but it's been cut off.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Critical-Role-Taldorei-Campaign-Setting/dp/1934547840/

• Upvote 1

Should be good - As far as I know this is laying out the whole area for you and filling it with "stuff". So no spoilers here for any 5e campaign as you build your own however you wish to fit within the world.

Would take alot of work to build a good 5e campaign but would be fun to try.

It sounds like a bit of both.. world setting but has some more directed quests etc in there to run as well..

Green Ronin (publisher of the book) are running some games taken from it at the launch event at GenCon in August..

https://www.gencon.com/events/112881

Tales of the Slayer's Take - Part 1:
The Huntmasters's Favor
The head of the Slayer’s Take guild tasks a band of hopeful applicants with a simple, but delicate, search and retrieval mission that leads them into the forgotten corners of the holy city of Vasselheim in search of a missing money lender.
Set within the world of Exandria from Geek & Sundry’s Critical Role, the adventure will be utilizing the new Critical Role Campaign Setting Book published by Matt Mercer & Green Ronin Publishing.
Part 1 character level range is 1st-2nd.

https://www.gencon.com/events/112882

Tales of the Slayer's Take, Part 2
A Simple Plan
As employees of the Take you are used to menial tasks that nonetheless require discretion. But when a simple delivery to a client traps you in the now deceased mage’s tower within the Dusk Meadow District of Vasselheim, what could go wrong?
Set within the world of Exandria from Geek & Sundry’s Critical Role, the adventure will be utilizing the new Critical Role Campaign Setting Book published by Matt Mercer & Green Ronin Publishing.
Part 2 character level range is 2nd-3rd.

https://www.gencon.com/events/112885

Tales of the Slayer's Take, Part 3
The Wild & Crazy Hunt
The Take's hopefuls finally are granted their trial contract & must venture into the mountains north of Vasselheim in pursuit of a beast that infiltrated the city.
Part 3 character level range is 3rd-4th.

MM had originally said it wouldn't cover the whole world (Exandria) - mostly (as the title suggests, Tal'dorei) the continent where the majority of the adventure has taken place so far.. (and which he obviously had majority of fleshed out to at least some degree..)
But the GenCon games seems to confirm (at least) Vasselheim is in there.. Hunting a bounty to join The Slayer's Take isn't a bad place to initially bring characters together and use it to kick off a campaign..

But it should definitely cover (at least) Stilben (where they originally started), Whitestone, Westruun, Emon, Kymal, Syngorn, Kraaghammer and the Underdark.. Possibly the other planes too..

Map_of_TalDorei.jpg

He has mentioned not being able to use some D&D trademarks (the pantheon of gods etc, so the Raven Queen, Kord, Saerenrae etc will have new names..)

There's still the other continents Wildmount (Draconia), Issylra (Pyrah, Vasselheim) & Marquet (Ank'harel) for a further book(s)

EDIT: Green Ronin just tweeted..

..assume this offer will be via their site and 'immediately' means you'll be able to download the PDF on launch day..

Preordered!

To be honest, I just like looking at the art work in the books, even if I never actually end up using them for campaigns.

This is only tangentially related, but most of the cast for critical role are in the new Injustice game, mostly as the Flash

Taliesin - the Flash

Liam - Reverse Flash

Travis - Golden Age Flash

Matt - Deadshot 

Laura - Supergirl

• Upvote 1

We should probably set up a dedicated Critical Role thread at some point.. Though it would probably be more appropriate in the TV section..

Probably easier to do that once they start a new campaign.. people can start with that rather than trying to catch up 100+ episodes..

On a related note Orion posted a video yesterday where he pours out  some of what was going on with him at the time that ultimately lead to him leaving CR - though he doesn't reveal the direct event.. It's the first ten minutes of this (the remainder is a 'lets play' video..)

Is it "I was a cheating, meta gaming, miserable so-and-so who blatantly tried it on with marisha?" 

It's always a bit uncomfortable to see how taliesin fawns over marisha, too. He's always got his hands on her. 

14 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Is it "I was a cheating, meta gaming, miserable so-and-so who blatantly tried it on with marisha?" 

It's always a bit uncomfortable to see how taliesin fawns over marisha, too. He's always got his hands on her. 

Not exactly..He had depression, ongoing drug addiction and found out he had HIV during the early days of the stream and essentially self destructed over the next several months..

2 hours ago, MDY said:

We should probably set up a dedicated Critical Role thread at some point.. Though it would probably be more appropriate in the TV section..

Probably easier to do that once they start a new campaign.. people can start with that rather than trying to catch up 100+ episodes..

That's a good idea! I'll get right on it! (May have to wait until I'm finished work).

2 hours ago, MDY said:

Not exactly..He had depression, ongoing drug addiction and found out he had HIV during the early days of the stream and essentially self destructed over the next several months..

Oh. Well, now you've just made me feel bad. 

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

That's a good idea! I'll get right on it! (May have to wait until I'm finished work).

A few posts in being spoilers for episode #98 might be a bit off-putting for some.. :D
Especially when they realise there are 380+ hours to catch up on.. :lol:

New campaign (assuming no TPK) will be a few months off yet - they've only just got to Lv17..

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Oh. Well, now you've just made me feel bad. 

I think the whole issue has been made worse by the fact he seems to have kept most of it to himself, so all people have been able to do is speculate..
In the video he's admitting to the HIV publicly for the first time (he said he's still not been able to tell his mum yet..) It seemed like this was a bit cathartic for him though.. to put it all out there finally.
We still don't know what went down at CR (and probably won't) - what you said might still be true (he said he wished he could have properly spoken to Marisha about all this as she's been one of his best friends..) 

Regardless, dealing with all that would likely mess most people up pretty badly, so even if it doesn't excuse the behavior, it's certainly at least more understandable..

I don't have time to DM a second game, but if anyone wants to run this on Roll20, I'm there :wub:

I'd be tempted but

a) I am awaiting inspiration on a good idea that fits the world that doesn't become a fan's tourist trip (the danger is that Critical Role fans will just want to visit all the iconic places etc). Danger is the parrtty will say Let's go to Vasselheim and find Victor's shop (or similar).

b) I have no time to develop a campaign at the moment as I am running Storm King's Thunder and that is developing really well but needs quite a bit of input from me obviously.

But it is on my list :D

• Upvote 1

On 2017-5-26 at 07:52, Doctor Shark said:

Watch this weeks episode and tell me they're not just two people who are completely comfortable with physical contact with each other.

And to reply to @Clipper - I don't think people would do that... would they? I 100% wouldn't want to, because it's not going to be the same. I would see it as an alternate universe type thing, where the essence of the world is the same, but the details and minutiae aren't. And because jesus, who wants the pressure of being Matt Mercer every week. I'm not even sure MM himself does.

Plus the whole point is to build your own story, not just observe someone elses. Although now I've just said that, I can totally see people in that world selling Vox Machina Tours, like a Ghost Tour round York. :D 

2 hours ago, minkee said:

And to reply to @Clipper - I don't think people would do that... would they? I 100% wouldn't want to, because it's not going to be the same. I would see it as an alternate universe type thing, where the essence of the world is the same, but the details and minutiae aren't. And because jesus, who wants the pressure of being Matt Mercer every week. I'm not even sure MM himself does.

Plus the whole point is to build your own story, not just observe someone elses. Although now I've just said that, I can totally see people in that world selling Vox Machina Tours, like a Ghost Tour round York. :D 

Yeah I see your point and I thinking on it some more I doubt anyone serious about D&D, even big crit role fans would necessarily do that.

• Upvote 1

Preorders go up on Monday @ GreenRonin (and if you pay for the PDF it looks like you get it immediately!)

Cover art:

DEtu1KPVwAAbDoe.jpg

• Upvote 1

Preorder day via the Green Ronin website - BUT you can buy the PDF and get it immediately once it launches..

(I think I may do this and then also get the book in a few months once Amazon UK can get it..)

https://greenronin.com/blog/2017/06/01/critical-role-release-plan/

Book is $35 (+ optional $5 extra for the PDF as well) - unsure about international shipping..

or $19 for just the PDF..

So you can buy it at some point today, but..

..probably won't be until 5-6pm tonight

• Upvote 1

It's out!

https://greenroninstore.com/collections/fifth-edition

Don't think just posting a quick partial pic of the dedication and (spoilered anyway) contents pages will land me in too much hot water with the copyright police (they'll doubtless have several more complete pages than that up on Amazons preview..)

guideint.jpg.dc1c0a4973caf030505fc000352cffc2.jpg

Spoiler

guidecon.jpg.dc40b927f99abab4776aad3db760bcf4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Don't think so yet - your local games store can to order it for you through them though.. some of their people were posting on the Critical Role Reddit about various options..

Message from /u/Danicia of Green Ronin:

Howdy!

I know that folks are really interested in pre-order plus. If someone's local game store (especially for non-US folks) wants to get into the program, they can forward their store here: 

https://greenronin.com/retailer-support/#about

It's the only way to get the $5.00 PDF for pre-orders. From us directly or someone's local game store which is a partner in the Pre-Order Plus program.

I've bought the PDF (£15) and I'll buy the book on Amazon when it's out - will work out cheaper overall than the book and the crazy shipping costs..

• Upvote 1

Having had a decent look through now - (though not properly reading the in depth descriptions of locations etc & avoid spoilers in case we decide to play..)

As the book title suggests IS a 'Setting' as opposed to a Campaign Guide..

If you're after specific Vox Machina stuff, there isn't a lot of it in there - they are mentioned, but the guide isn't done from their perspective. it's very much somewhere to craft your own adventures rather than to recreate the scenarios in the stream. (But if you want that - you just crib it from the hundreds of hours of the actual show!)

It's not an art book either - there are plenty of nice, all new illustrations from some in the community, but it's all geared to the content rather than featuring some of the incredible fan produced stuff.. (But again that's due to the focus not being on VM..) the style is very much in line with the look and feel of the WotC guides.

- There are 1 or 2 suggested adventures for many of the locations (of which there are ~70), often one for low level and one for mid-higher PCs.

These are lightly sketched scenarios - maybe 6-10 lines, an adventure hook, suggested encounters etc, leaving the DM complete freedom to develop it from there..

- There's a fleshed out history of the world from the Divergence..

- The Pantheon of Gods (retitled from the WoTC/Pathfinder gods due to copyright - but using the titles Matt has begun using for them in the stream.. Saerenrae is 'The Everlight', Pelor is 'The Dawnfather', The Raven Queen is 'The Matron of Ravens'.. etc..)

- There's a section on the various races, factions and societies (e.g. The Clasp, Ashari, Myriad etc..)

- 4 new subclass options (Cleric, Barbarian, Sorcerer and Monk) - Mercer's Gunslinger/Blood Hunter/Lycan and Maestro Bard College couldn't be included as he published them via the DM's Guild, so they can't then be reused elsewhere.. But those are 'pay what you want' on there if you want them..

-New Character backgrounds

-New Feats

- A whole section on the Vestiges (and a bunch of new ones!:omg:)

-Optional Rules

-The Alternative resurrection rules

-Info on various monstrous races and how they fit in to the world

- Examples (inc character details and stats) for typical allies and adversaries (e.g. Ashari warriors, Clasp members, Cultists)