IGNORED

Need for Speed Payback - 10th November

Revival

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

The thing here is it falls between two stools: pure racing on the one hand and GTA-style objective-based driving on the other. Both served well elsewhere. Take a game like NFS Undercover, you could take most of the cutscenes out and you wouldn't even know it had any. The handling in games like Watch_Dogs and GTA is getting better and better, it's maybe not as detailed as pure racing but it's not the afterthought it was 10-15 years ago. So where does that leave NFS? I don't think even EA know at this point.

Reflections instead of making a sequel to Driver San Francisco do all the driving based stuff for Ubisoft's open world games :(

Looks utterly shit. Wasting your time and energy following restrictive instructions to perform whatever dull, scripted action is next. Like a sequel to that fucking stuntman game on the PS2. And with yet more fucking story bullshit. Fucking EA.

Can I have a Need For Speed Most Wanted U 2 please? Without any Bono jokes?

NFSMWU is the best NFS. And the second best racing game of it's type, after Burnout Paradise.

So the EA bloke said something along the lines of "I can promise you it plays as good as it looks".

Yeah... not selling it to us mate.

While it may be fairly shallow fun - I enjoyed The Run for what it was, a short interactive B movie that I bought for 4 quid - I don't understand why they repeatedly take you out of the action for a slo-mo shot or a tedious pre-rendered scene?! Then they throw you right back into the gameplay but you've lost the focus you just had and inevitably crash into the next obstacle.

That looks stupid enough to be fun. That said, I laughed when the guy had to stop and wait for the enforcer car to catch up with him because the AI couldn't negotiate the traffic and kept crashing.

5 hours ago, Revival said:

Everyone knows Hot Pursuit is the best one....

I disagree. I prefered Rivals. The only good ones (in order) are:

1. Rivals

2. Hot Pursuit

3. The Run (If I'd paid £40 for this then yes, I'd be annoyed. However the driving from coast to coast gave me that Outrun vibe. It's a short good arcadey game. Well worth the sub £5 it will cost you nowadays).

the rest vary between ok and garbage.

I think this looks pretty good, even with the painfully dumb narrative stuff (which, honestly, I can't blame them for given the popularity of F&F). Hopefully they really have dumped all the super-obnoxious always-online shoe-horned-in social stuff.

It's pretty but there I did notice a significant amount of pop-in for a modern game, which was distracting.

I always thought EA should have split NFS into two alternating franchises, using Most Wanted (2013) as the starting point for a GTA-esque open world title and then creating a more traditional goal-oriented arcade racer, with both titles reusing assets from each other.

46 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I disagree. I prefered Rivals. The only good ones (in order) are:

1. Rivals

2. Hot Pursuit

3. The Run 

I've never given Rivals a look... it's included with the Origin subscription service so I'll maybe download that later.

Just now, StoooTube said:

I've never given Rivals a look... it's included with the Origin subscription service so I'll maybe download that later.

Rivals is like Most Wanted (2012) if it was inexplicably worse in every way.

I was starting to warm to this when I saw the burnout style takedowns but the constant cutscenes and removal of direct control soon killed any enthusiasm.

I mean GTA managed to handle lorry heists in real time many years ago so don't see why we should have to settle for this "cinematic" alternative.

15 hours ago, Broker said:

Looks utterly shit. Wasting your time and energy following restrictive instructions to perform whatever dull, scripted action is next. Like a sequel to that fucking stuntman game on the PS2. And with yet more fucking story bullshit. Fucking EA.

This.

12 hours ago, Revival said:

Everyone knows Hot Pursuit is the best one....

And this.

• 1 month later...

Watched the gameplay trailer.

Looks decent BUT I really wish they would lose that awful slow motion cinematic that kicks in every few seconds when you shunt another car off the road.

How can they still think that is a good idea? All it does is continuously interrupt the flow of the gameplay. Pretty much a game ruining flaw for me.

Am I the only person who dies a little bit inside anytime a racing game wants me to mod or customize a car.  Just doesn't interest me in the slightest (unless it is like GTA 5 which is simply picking stuff from a menu and paying for it). 

15 hours ago, Charles said:

Am I the only person who dies a little bit inside anytime a racing game wants me to mod or customize a car.  Just doesn't interest me in the slightest (unless it is like GTA 5 which is simply picking stuff from a menu and paying for it). 

Same here. I liked the original Forza Horizon, where you'd simply get a message stating that your car was under/over powered for a particular event and the game then tuned it to an acceptable level for you.

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:52, Halo said:

I think this looks pretty good, even with the painfully dumb narrative stuff (which, honestly, I can't blame them for given the popularity of F&F). Hopefully they really have dumped all the super-obnoxious always-online shoe-horned-in social stuff.

It's pretty but there I did notice a significant amount of pop-in for a modern game, which was distracting.

I always thought EA should have split NFS into two alternating franchises, using Most Wanted (2013) as the starting point for a GTA-esque open world title and then creating a more traditional goal-oriented arcade racer, with both titles reusing assets from each other.

They sort of tried to do this in 2008 or so when they had NFS: Undercover and NFS: Shift. Not sure why thy dropped that. Shift 2 was pretty good apart from the bloody drifting. Either it wasn't arcade enough or it was super-simple and I just wasn't getting it (I suspect the latter). The tutorial was useless and it wouldn't let you progress until you could do a figure-of-eight switch drift. I just want the good gold tap-brake-then-turn arcade drifting.

• 1 month later...