IGNORED

The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

Goose

Broken record reporting in. I hated the original and absolutely loved the sequel, my GOTY of whatever year it came out.

There's characters with personalities, a narrative that's going places, some great nods to the original, the best antagonist I've seen in years, some very neat and disturbing visual effects and scenes.

Loved it. GOTY 2020.

Just finished it. Really enjoyable. The ending was a bit over-egged and last boss a bit easy playing on Survivor but they play a Duran Duran song over the end credits so not all bad. 

I missed ONE residual memory! 

One question regarding the slides: I found them all but...

Spoiler

After listening to the last conversation between Sebastian and Kidman she mentions that Joseph is actually still alive and that they should have a conversation about it later but it’s not mentioned again. Did I miss something or was this just a way of leaving the door open to another game?

On 28/07/2020 at 11:25, CarloOos said:

I'm not against playing around with different aspect ratios in games but annoying thing about TEW1's borders is that so much of it involved looking at the ground, due to the abundance of dead bodies, ammo and traps, and several other sequences also involved spotting and shooting tiny things above you. It didn't feel designed around the borders at all, and when I finally went back to finish it I turned them off.

Before that was patched out the borders were mandatory. It added to the cinematic feel but also the jankiness.

• 4 months later...

I've tried to play the demo for the second time and it still won't work.

When it first came out I installed the demo on my XBoneX. Loads, press A then I have a blank projector screen. I can move my "head" but that's it- game simply won't start. Reinsralled and deleted the save file but no joy.

Tried it again today on my Series X and the same bloody thing! Did anyone else have this and find a fix? Is the demo just broken? A Google suggests others had the exact same on XBox and PC but no fix.

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

I've tried to play the demo for the second time and it still won't work.

When it first came out I installed the demo on my XBoneX. Loads, press A then I have a blank projector screen. I can move my "head" but that's it- game simply won't start. Reinsralled and deleted the save file but no joy.

Tried it again today on my Series X and the same bloody thing! Did anyone else have this and find a fix? Is the demo just broken? A Google suggests others had the exact same on XBox and PC but no fix.

Not sure but if you can the full game is brilliant and well worth the price you can get it now. 

The second game was quietly the best survival horror game we’d had this gen, felt like a proper evolution of the Silent Hill/Resident Evil template. It doesn’t quite keep that momentum up to the end, but it’s worth the price of entry for the first eight or so hours alone, and the rest isn’t bad it’s just not as good. The exact same format over a larger canvass would be amazing.

A huge step up over the original, also it felt like they’d achieved a lot more with what was probably a smaller budget.

What I found interesting in this game is how the storyline kept me interested and I didn't feel like I was bored (like I was with last of us for example).  The last patch introduced a menu option for invincibility and 1 shot kills and it really hammers home just how much the game takes over and plays animation sequences  or has you navigating an area that might as well be a cut scene, but it really doesn't matter because the game is so good it all hangs together really well and it never feels like a slog at all. A proper bargain now.

Don't get me wrong, I'd fucking LOVE an Evil Within 3. I wasn't super high on the first (possibly because performance was ass on the PS4), but 2 was my favourite Survival Horror outing in years.

I also loved that it wasn't afraid to make downright weird references from time to time with no explanation. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

PSA: This just showed up on Game Pass. Perfect time to find out why some of us have been raving about if you haven't played it already.

Not sure it's enhanced or not - be rad if it was, but apparently the PS4 version runs at 60 on PS5 naturally because the framerate was unlocked, so the same thing may happen here.