rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

Anyway my copy arrived yesterday but my bloody flatmate needed emotional support all evening, the selfish prick, so I didn't get to play it. Looking forward to digging into it. Even if it's not the best game ever we're not exactly drowning in action horror-shooters anymore.

• Upvote 1

Played the first two chapters last night and it had me hooked from the get go, ended up leaving it at 2am and only getting a few hours sleep for work, worth it though.  Chapter 3 is when it seems to start to really open up to the more open Silent Hill style levels from what I can see, but I've literally just started that before leaving it last night.  Weapons are lovely and meaty and apparently the shotgun is fantastic which is what I like to hear!  I will admit though that with the exception of one chapter towards the end, which I thought was utter tripe, I loved the first Evil Within a lot so I'm going into this excitedly.

Roll on this evening. :sherlock:

1 minute ago, mr_woo said:

apparently the shotgun is fantastic

Now I'm interested! Just as a reference point, what did you think of the first game? Because that did nothing for me, but I do love Silent Hill and really like Resi 4. And I love the Fear shotgun.  So...

13 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Now I'm interested! Just as a reference point, what did you think of the first game? Because that did nothing for me, but I do love Silent Hill and really like Resi 4. And I love the Fear shotgun.  So...

I loved the first game, it was flawed but it was still one of my favourite games of that year.  There was one chapter in the latter half of the first game I absolutely hated but I can't remember which one it was, I just remember fighting mostly humans and turning valves (?)  I think in a destroyed building or building site.  It was fuckin wank.  But overall I loved the majority of it and setting fools on fire with matches as well as fighting that Box Man mother fucker.  Plus Sebastian going what the fuck :D  I'm interested to see where this goes story wise and how well the more open levels/combat are handled.  I admittedly don't play many horror games so this is a nice change of pace for me game wise from what I've been playing this year also.

• Upvote 4

I'm going to leave the game running and alt tab out so it looks like I'm playing, when the reality is I'm a great big girls blouse and can't take it.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Anyway my copy arrived yesterday but my bloody flatmate needed emotional support all evening, the selfish prick, so I didn't get to play it. Looking forward to digging into it. Even if it's not the best game ever we're not exactly drowning in action horror-shooters anymore.

I feel your pain... least it's darker earlier in the UK now so less of a wait to get playing :D

Only 50 minutes in and so far this is a lot of fun :) Definitely not as scary as Resi in VR, but this is a different, more surreal experience. I think the designers are big Twin Peaks fans with the red curtains and black and white floor stuff going on. 

Shotgun get!  :wub:

I highly recommend the Ambush perk off the Stealth Skill Tree. Get their attention, leg it round a corner, hug the cover and wait for the Undead to blindly walk into your blade. 

It's a bit brutal isn't it. I don't think I've seen

as graphic a depiction of someone getting shot in the head as the Mobius guy you first encounter in the timecube thingie. Brain matter splatting out in slow-mo and everything

• Upvote 1

Didn't like the original much, but this one's giving off a stronger first impression. Only an hour in, just had Seb sip some coffee in the first safe house and now I need some sleep. Keen to get back into it.

One important thing this game gets right (and why i'm enjoying it) - when your stealth approach goes tits up, there's always a viable runaway, or shoot-it-out option.

Taking a bit of a break after getting to chapter 3, having a bit of a wander and then going back to the safe house. Ended up going on quite a detour, resulting in a shotgun, so I've not even done any of the objectives yet. 

It's pretty good. Technically a lot better than the first game. Solid framerate, no black bars and generally just a bit prettier looking. Still some texture pop-in and the running animation remains ridiculous but overall pretty decent. 

Early days but I'm definitely getting more of a 'aiming for the western market' vibe from this one then the first one. This semi-open world section with conversation options with NPCs while exploring a small town definitely has a very different vibe to anything from the first game. Less surreal flights of fantasy, more The Last of Us. The sound design for some of them even sound suspiciously like clickers....

Combat and stealth feel largely the same as the first game to me although it has been three years since I played it. Maybe the movement feels a bit tighter and you have strafing which I'm sure wasn't in the first game. Anyway the problem with the first game wasnt the combat mechanics as such, it was the bullshit like one hit kills and frustratingly opaque objectives. 

It's way too early to form a proper opinion yet anyway but it seems promising. 

Up to Chapter 3 now (just done the Rogue Transmission/Shotgun side-quest) and despite it not running as smooth as the previous game I'm absolutely loving this! It feels like RE4 and TLOU had a baby. It controls great and I'm surprised by how much effort they put into the audio design. From the dynamic soundtrack to character movements or firing a weapon. Everything just sounds spot on. Even opening a weapons suitcase comes with that satisfying *click* sound. And while it might not be your typical scare fest like a REmake, Silent Hill. P.T. etc. I've had my butt cheeks clenched for the entire 2.5 hours I've played so far! The enemies pose a legitimate threat and aren't just fodder for you to boost your stats with. They're unpredictable and menacing; meaning that any tiny mistake can lead to a quick demise. As such, getting a stealth kill feels very rewarding but when you fuck up the sound design does an amazing job of telling you as much and to run for the fucking hills! It's great. :D

I just did the most dumbest thing btw. There was a truck violently moving back and forth along with muffled groans coming from the back. Needless to say I went to open the back of the truck in hopes of finding some loot but obviously 4 enemies jumped out! Thankfully I managed to make it out alive by hiding in the back of the auto repair shop close by but holy fuck that got my heart racing! :lol:

Honestly, as far as gameplay is concerned TEW2 is miles ahead of RE7 (or any of that Revelations shite for that matter, no idea how two of those got made in the first place) and I've barely even scratched the surface of what this has to offer. I already can't wait to explore more of this environment with better gear and to use all of the traps which are scattered around. Rambo: First Blood Psycho Break more like! 

• Upvote 1

Not running as smoothly as the previous game? According to Digital Foundry it runs pretty much locked 30 on a base PS4, that's miles better than the first game. Where are you playing it?

41 minutes ago, Majora said:

Not running as smoothly as the previous game? According to Digital Foundry it runs pretty much locked 30 on a base PS4, that's miles better than the first game. Where are you playing it?

Personal Computer. 

Earlier I knifed a molotov-wielding baddy in the back resulting in the zombo dropping said molotov, setting everything on fire and alerting other enemies. Oops. :D

Chapter 3 is great, and the open-world aspect adds so much to a game that is much more refined than the original. It feels like the lovechild of: TLoU/Silent Hill/Alan Wake/Deadly Premonition  

Top tip: There are a few padlocked 'barriers' which may confuse or frustrate. My advice: if its not immediately obvious, just wait 'til later when the key presents itself. 

Just got the shotgun, oh my. :wub:

Another fun thing is to throw bottles at enemies faces to stun them and then running up to them and slashing their throats, fun for all the family.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Is the story of the first needed at all?

For a bit of context I guess but you can catch up on the story by just watching that 5min GameSpot recap viddy. 

23 minutes ago, Banjaxed said:

Far too many TLOU :wub:references for me to ignore this game, off to buy this morning!! :D

I think you’ll really like it.... £40 in Tescos for the very good PS4 version...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

I think you’ll really like it.... £40 in Tescos for the very good PS4 version...

Just driven to my nearest big Tescos who sell games and you're right, it is £40. Took the case to customer services and waited an age only to be told they didn't have it in stock and that head office have in the sales assistant's words 'a stupid rule about not having empty cases on display'. Seems a waste of the staffs time and customer's as well. No worries, Amazon do same day delivery around my area but it's out of stock until Monday. I knew I should have pre-ordered it.