rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

12 hours ago, Varsity said:

Trudging through CH4 atm, not a fan of a certain bit but still having fun regardless. Put my thoughts in spoilers as usual. 

Reveal hidden contents

The first person bit in CH4, I see what they were going for, but first person didnt work particularly well in that DLC for the first one and it's just as cumbersome here. I feel they could have had the same thing going on in third person as not being able to see through the gas would still be in effect. Kudos though, they did get me with a jumpscare xD Nightmare mode appears to have been the right choice for me, feels about right. 

The whole ambush thing waiting for the door to unlock at the start of the CH was genuinely tense and had to come up with a few different ideas before scraping through it! Seems like for now at least, there's just enough ammo to get by, it's not scarce but I'm not overburdened with it either. 

Had fun on the shooting range earlier too, a nice nod to RE4, getting the locker key from the chain attack mode was a bit of a bitch though!

That whole sequence lasts about five minutes and hasn't been repeated through chapter 9. I agree that it's not very good, though.

58 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

That whole sequence lasts about five minutes and hasn't been repeated through chapter 9. I agree that it's not very good, though.

At the time of writing I was still on that section and didn't know how long it'd last :P In hindsight at the length it actually is it's fine, I just assumed it would go on for longer ^^

Just made it to Sykes in Chapter 7 with about 10 hours on the clock. Also managed to complete the Chain Attack score mode earlier, wahey!

I just realised how much better, in terms of creativity, all of the enemies are as opposed to the ones in any of the recent RE games. RE7 became rather disappointing when it starts throwing the Flood at you. 

Up to chapter 8 and so far I think the first two-thirds of Resi 7 was probably better than this. But this is better than the last third of Resi 7 (everything after the house basically).

What's standing out to me is that, for all the improvements they've made and the edges they've smoothed, it seems to be lacking some of the creativity of the first game. Both in terms of scenario design and art design. The first game could be horribly unbalanced and unfair but you could tell it was a Mikami game in the sheer variety of set-pieces and locations. The enemy encounters in 2 are nowhere near as varied or imaginative. The art design also seems fairly average whereas it could be spectacular in the first game. The open world areas are enjoyable but the two town areas I've explored so far have definitely not been visually striking or distinctive.

It kind of seems like two steps forward, one step back to me. Still enjoying it though.

Playing CH5 in the dark with a headset full whack last night was one of the most terrifying experiences I've had playing anything recently. Only Alien Isolation comes close. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

I started this last night, bit special innit? Spend the whole night roaming around that first open area. Playing on nightmare difficulty, not sure if that was the right choice.

Well this is freaking marvelous! Just finished CH5 and it was all kinds of ace. I was thoroughly enjoying sneaking around the town in CH3 - i thought the bit of open world was very well done it really felt like a little town gone to hell, and some of the side missions threw up some serious surprises. Then for it to switch gears in CH5 to more linear experience akin to the first game was great - so atmospheric!

Just like the first game, there seems to be a good variety of enemy types to mix it up - the first time I stealth attacked one of the enemies, only for her to turn around and run full pelt at me was an expletive laden moment I can tell you. ☺

If the quality stays this high till the end it's gonna be one for my all time greats pile! 

Night.thumb.jpg.3c23d8d2b067b8587260ce0150d5d784.jpg 

Well, that's my nightmare run finished. 21 hours, with pretty much every file collected and sidequest done. Missed one file and a few ammo pouches, but got all the slides.

Thoroughly enjoyed it overall, it's a great game - weird how this and Hellblade (well, one section at least) are better Resi games than Resi 7. My only issue is that sometimes the contextual button presses don't quite work - awkward when you're trying to attach to cover, or perform a stealth kill that isn't activating as intended.

That spoiler above isn't a spoiler by the way, just my game clear screen. Some people might not want to see it even though it literally shows nothing spoilery, so just being safe.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

I started this last night, bit special innit? Spend the whole night roaming around that first open area. Playing on nightmare difficulty, not sure if that was the right choice.

I'm on Nightmare, only had one section so far that took me a couple goes but it's not too bad. Just make sure to go after all the sidequests/resonance stuff, the extra items deffo help. 

Was reading before that Classic mode is limited to 7 saves and doesn't allow upgrading. Sounds pretty solid :P 

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Hide contents

Night.thumb.jpg.3c23d8d2b067b8587260ce0150d5d784.jpg 

Well, that's my nightmare run finished. 21 hours, with pretty much every file collected and sidequest done. Missed one file and a few ammo pouches, but got all the slides.

Thoroughly enjoyed it overall, it's a great game - weird how this and Hellblade (well, one section at least) are better Resi games than Resi 7. My only issue is that sometimes the contextual button presses don't quite work - awkward when you're trying to attach to cover, or perform a stealth kill that isn't activating as intended.

That spoiler above isn't a spoiler by the way, just my game clear screen. Some people might not want to see it even though it literally shows nothing spoiler, so just being safe.

What SebasBuild did you go for btw?

I'm playing on Normal and have maxed out Stealth and am now upgrading Athleticism and a bit of Health here and there as well. 

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

What SebasBuild did you go for btw?

I'm playing on Normal and have maxed out Stealth and am now upgrading Athleticism and a bit of Health here and there as well. 

You get a good chunk of skills by the time you finish - early points in stealth for ambushing, bottles and faster sneaking/low profile, and then focused on stamina and the shotgun as a main weapon, with the 'special' handgun from finishing the final optional ghost lady scene as a pretty good backup.

Nightmare's not exactly generous at doling out ammo, so being able to knife everything that isn't a boss helps a bunch. Certain wandering enemies will suck up all your ammo if you try to take them on, so it really is a case of just going knife crazy until you're forced to use weapons. I'd also upgrade the crossbow, even if only a few levels as it's pretty easy to get ammo for. The harpoon in particular has a ton of metal pipes lying around to be crafted into ammo.

Upgrade the smoke bombs so you can stealth kill enemies trapped in the smoke. Get a group of them bunched together and you can just run around mashing X to take out at least 3-4 of them before the smoke clears.

I saved up the 75,000 gel for the Slow Mo skill and it was absolutely worth it, especially for some sections near the end.  Really fun to use.

1 hour ago, Orko said:

Is it worth getting the first game, which is currently £6.49 in the PlayStation Halloween sale, or should I just skip it and get this one?

It's a direct story continuation three years on, though this one fills you in on the basics. That's a pretty cheap price, so maybe buy both, start 1 and skip to 2 if it's not doing it for you? I didn't like the original much, but I do like the sequel - to the point where I feel like giving the first another go to see if my opinion of it's changed since release.

CDkeys has this for £22 at the moment, by the way. Anyone wants to play on PC, that's an excellent price.

3 hours ago, krenzler said:

The PC version is pretty messy according to Digital Foundry. PS4 is best. 

Constant 60fps and fast loading on my machine. No quibbles on an 980 and standard HD.

On 18/10/2017 at 20:28, Orko said:

Is it worth getting the first game, which is currently £6.49 in the PlayStation Halloween sale, or should I just skip it and get this one?

The first one is a fantastic game with a story that makes most games these days pale in comparison. Yes. Yes you should. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Get the first game for six quid, if you've got any interest in survival horror you'll fucking love it. personally I can't understand the negative opinions surrounding it.

• Upvote 3

On 18-10-2017 at 20:28, Orko said:

No, skip it. God awful game.

When you do decide to buy it for that price, spend a little more and buy the DLC. Apparently the plot is explained through/in the DLC. It is not explained through the base game, I can tell you that much :hmm:

1 hour ago, df0 said:

No, skip it. God awful game.

When you do decide to buy it for that price, spend a little more and buy the DLC. Apparently the plot is explained through/in the DLC. It is not explained through the base game, I can tell you that much :hmm:

The DLC stands on its own as a decent DLC too...at least the Consequence and the other one I can't remember. The exectutioner however is a seperate story and bad fps. 

I'm enjoying this just as I enjoyed the first. They're both weird, scatty, janky games but they have good ideas and strong direction. I totally bounced off the first originally as the technical issues made it borderline (get it?) unplayable. I finally played it earlier this year without any hiccups on PC and enjoyed it as an unpredictable B-game. 2 is much the same, streamlined and simplified in some ways but with more exploration and experimentation to make up for it. I like that you never really know what's going to happen next, even if half the things that happen are a little half baked.

Just finished with 21 hours on the clock. Absolutely brilliant - first thing I have played in ages where I didn't want it to end.

They took out pretty much all of the instadeath stuff from the first one which was a very wise move. Melee was definitely still a bit useless, but improved on the original too. 

It just kept building and building all the way to the end I am quite surprised how much they nailed the pacing. Cracking stuff - well done. ☺

I've been really enjoying this!

I never played the first game but wanted to give Evil Within 2 a go thanks to the decent reviews, and glad I did.

It feels like Resident Evil mixed with Silent Hill, Dead Space and any number of generic mental hospital horror games. It's not scary but it is tense, and I really like the setup of it all being in a virtual reality, letting them do some cool visual effects and play with weird ideas.

I'm up to Chapter 11 or something and feel like I'm near the end, but I don't really want it to be over. I most enjoy the open world areas, the town and the Marrow. The cliche "dream" and "nightmare" sections are much weaker although visually they look cool.

I'm playing on Nightmare and so far it's been the perfect challenge, tense and just enough ammo and health to scrape by, aside from some difficulty spikes. The upgrading is fun and makes for agonising decisions about what skills and weapons to upgrade and what ammo to craft. You have to use stealth a lot as ammo is so short and enemies powerful, so I've upgraded stealth a lot - stealth kills are great in the open world sections.

You have to avoid the harder enemies entirely most of the time because they're too resource intensive to kill. The knife ladies are a nightmare, really tough and fast. The combat is good and satisfying, except in close quarters where it's almost impossible to aim. Many weapons zoom in when you aim which means you can't hit shit when it's next to you. The bolt gun is cool, setting up traps. I'm finding that I use the weapons pretty equally, and the game does a good job of making them useful in different situations.

I don't mind the stealth except for the tedious instadeath sections, the imprecise nature of it and the fiddly controls (at least on console). For example, sometimes enemies will spot you behind cover when it looks like they shouldn't, and it's hard to tell when you are out of enemy LOS. Stealth kill button prompts flicker on and off and it's all too easy to cock up a kill you've spent ages executing only for the horde to be alerted - the cool ambush skill (stab around corners) is also finicky. These kind of minor issues happen in other parts of the game, like the context sensitive actions which often have me vaulting on top of cars to reveal myself to every enemy around, instead of picking up the item with the tiny hitbox like I wanted to. Although it's generally fine, there is a bit of roughness and clumsiness to action, even beyond the usual Resident Evil tankiness.

I was expecting some kind of mad trip storywise after watching catchup videos of the first game. Instead it is quite a straightforward fetch quest, mostly rooted in "realistic" locations, with the odd foray into the weirdness of people's minds and bosses. The overall storyline is silly and very horror cliche, though Stem is a cool idea overall. I don't want to spoil anything, but the villain plot progression is kind of cackhanded too. Still, the fragmented town and underlying Marrow makes for a good structure to push you onwards. It's nice to have some side characters who actually act like normal people for a survival horror game, they are even well voice acted and written, for the most part - shame that your interaction with them is relegated to a list of dialogue options which rarely change.

I like the Resident Evil flow of explore/do missions, return to safe house, upgrade, heal up, go forth. It's a good loop. 

The game is starting to go off the rails a bit, I think it was stronger in the first half, but we'll see. There has been an upsurge in kind of annoying boss fights, instadeath stealth sequences and general silliness lately, whilst the plot has gone generic horror too. Locations are good though and evolve over time which is nice.

That's enough blabbing for now, looking forward to finishing it off this week.

Oh, and people were talking about one of the mid-game bosses earlier:

It took me ages to kill him. I died the first time by messing around trying to stab him or soak him. The second time turned into like a 20 minute borefest, where I used up all my ammo on him - I only had some shotgun shells, various bolts and a few pistol bullets. Then I just ran around the arena again and again picking up the pistol bullets (there's two sets of 3 bullets which respawn) and shooting them into his head, which do absolutely feck all damage. On his final stage I was nearly dead, had emptied loads of pistol shots into him, and went into the inventory to use my last health stim. Then I noticed I had completely forgotten my sniper rifle which had 7 ammo in it! What an idiot! One headshot with that later, and he was dead. I had barely used the sniper as ammo is so expensive to craft, on Nightmare its just not worth it usually. But I had found some ammo in one of the nurses lockers. One of the best times I could have used the sniper and I bloody forgot about it...

• Upvote 1

I need to get back on this, I think I got up to Chapter 12/13 so there can't be long to go now. Like you, I felt like the game was kind of going off the rails a bit. The two 'open-world' sections were the best but I thought the first was notably better than the second. The past couple of chapters I played were pretty dull too, and the second villain isn't as interesting as the first.