IGNORED

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

gospvg

I've just checked and the second part of the patch on Xbox Series X that came out on Friday that upgraded the DLC content too, has fixed everything: not only has the DLC been unlocked, my previous main campaign complete save is now recognised. All chapters are unlocked for me again.

I only had to redownload Sam's Story for some reason, but now everything works!

This game is absolutely stunning to look at at times. I've never really played it properly before as it was very janky on the original Bone so I'm really enjoying it.

The lighting and shadows are without doubt the best I've ever seen in a console game. I went into a ruined train carriage with dappled sunlight coming through, reflecting off the walls and glinting off my gun and had to just stop and soak it in as it looked almost photoreal. It breaks down when you get too close to the textures obviously but it's definitely the new showcase for the SX for now. 

Reflections look a bit shit though, they're not ray traced so they stick out more. 

Got an hours of Sams story yesterday and it was great to be back in that world. The colours / textures always remind me of escaping city 17 in HL2. Love all the weathered old bald Russians you meet and so far it looks like enough resources to always have a full complement of shotgun ammo. For some reason I played half of exodus without using the shotty then realised just how effective it is with the ghouls! 

15 hours ago, df0 said:

So the gamma on PS5 is broken. It’s very dark even on the brightest setting.

Have you tried turning HDR off on the Playstation menu? I have played both in pitch black darkness and a sunny room (adjusting the gamma) and it's been fine for both.

I just started playing this on PC and not having played many of these 'sim like' FPS games (Low health, crafting, survival etc) it takes a little getting used to. I've not been enjoying the whole first few hours because I have felt so vulnerable and I cant seem to find much material to craft ammo from. Should I just be searching everywhere? 

Though I just had a brilliant bit a few hours in...

Spoiler

Searching for the wife in an underground bit with the shotgun and the green things. Really tense and quite a thrill to do that short bit. 

I much prefer day time to night time though for some reason. Dark just seems too gloomy. 

I'm early on, the first open world bit, and really enjoying it. I like how everything feels dangerous and mysterious. Complete contrast to Ghost of Tsushima which I just finished where you feel like an invincible badass. 

My only complaint so far is how quickly weapons get dirty and how expensive it is to clean them. Hopefully just an early hiccup. 

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

My only complaint so far is how quickly weapons get dirty and how expensive it is to clean them.

I found that at first. If you start exploring some of the off mission spaces (? on the map) there tends to be a lot of mats lying around the place. Less so just around the wilderness. 

Man there's some complete bullshit in this. Trying to get the fuel so for that action set piece I have two pump weapons and 6x zoom sniper. The snipers useless for the rather small arena and the two pump weapons are... well, pump weapons which means you have to charge em like a super soaker. Crafting healing items take time, using healing items take time, charging a weapon takes time, picking up a weapon takes time. I'm sure in the next tries I'll run out of ammo eventually so I have to craft that. Everything takes time. Did this section 7 times now and I keep dying.

It's such a clumsy game.

Also, can we have NPC squad members who stick around for longer than 5 seconds? Far, far too often when something happens they're like "well, gotta go do something else now good luck meet you back at the camp lmao".

37 minutes ago, df0 said:

Man there's some complete bullshit in this. Trying to get the fuel so for that action set piece I have two pump weapons and 6x zoom sniper. The snipers useless for the rather small arena and the two pump weapons are... well, pump weapons which means you have to charge em like a super soaker. Crafting healing items take time, using healing items take time, charging a weapon takes time, picking up a weapon takes time. I'm sure in the next tries I'll run out of ammo eventually so I have to craft that. Everything takes time. Did this section 7 times now and I keep dying.

It's such a clumsy game.

Also, can we have NPC squad members who stick around for longer than 5 seconds? Far, far too often when something happens they're like "well, gotta go do something else now good luck meet you back at the camp lmao".

Im not sure but can’t you swap out any already found weapons at the train? You may be further along than me and that’s not an option at the moment. 

Yeah I’m out. They actually turned it into a shit Far Cry. Very disappointed by this, glad I got it for cheap.

Spoiler

Act 4 - Forest. Linear path from bandit camp to bandit camp over and over with lame exposition dumps in between.

Also, can somebody explain to me why Hadir or whatever his name is (the Asian looking fella) decided to sacrifice himself AFTER THE ANTAGONIST IS DEAD! Was that meant to invoke drama or emotion?

Incredibly poor, by far the worst Metro game.

What difficulty did you play on, out of interest? I picked Hardcore (second highest) and I always feel on edge because I'm constantly struggling for ammo, low on mask filters, low on health kits, struggling. I don't think the game would be half as interesting if I was ever comfortable.

Normal. Loved the opening area, loved the intermission between that area and the next. Went downhill from there.

Spoiler

Fought the bear, had to hear a woman ramble about exposition, walked away, arrived in swamp, heard bandits chat. Fuck it, another camp.

🤢

• 2 months later...

It's a shame that after last light which I really enjoyed, I'm finding exodus almost aggressively boring. I gave it 8 hours. Everything is so laboured and dull and it's like you're wearing a velcro suit, I have never known an fps character get stuck on scenery so often. Not for me 

• 4 months later...

Just about to make a start on this later today (hopefully, if I'm not knackered later) after having dipped into the first section briefly already to set up graphics, check the controls etc. Intending to go right into ranger hardcore so have also watched a couple of videos as prep. I played the first two when they originally releaseed on xbox360 so I at least know the basics (in fact I really should pick up the reduxes on pc when the next sale comes around).

Aside from a tiny bit of ghosting on the luminous iron-sights, which I can forgive, enhanced edition seems to run gloriously with dlss on. (- given how they train the algorithm, I wonder if dlss in this game might have gotten confused by the fact that the sights get refracted by the scratches in the gasmask?)

I did have to run the -deependark command line to get rid of the horrible grey filter I've seem some complain about; I get the impression the command might have been patched in after some of the posts here, so worth trying.

Whoever did this game's first person camera animation is the best in the business.

Agreed. Though does anyone else think artyom seems to have oddly chunky ham-hock hands in this? Might be all the radiation hasnt done his skin any favours, lol.

Also, the main reason I bothered to post - until loading this up I'd forgotten the devs are Ukraine-based. Given the shit on their doorstep I wondered if anyone remembered them saying anything about that in the last couple of years? I'm sure I remember some big eastern european dev either tweeting or saying in an article that they were looking elsewhere in case they needed to cover their arses one day, might not have been 4A I'm thinking of though. Would be a real shame if the next metro gets messed up by life imitating art a bit.

Didn’t something like that happen to the original Stalker devs? Everything kicked off in Ukraine and their offices/equipment were seized/destroyed.

Although now that I’ve posted this I can’t find any trace of it online. 

Dunno if that's what I was thinking of but I do remember stalker having some issue like that yeah, think they lost a load of code.

Anyway, have gotten past the extended intro bit and just got a few leads to follow up on the map. Doing ok so far, though the mutants cost me more ammo than I'd like!

Performance-wise, all great except the clouds seem to be super lo-res a lot, def not as intended. Found other cases of this online but not sure if anyone ever found a solution.

edit:

Found a great example here:

Unfortunately sounds like a texture streaming bug with the enhanced ed*. Might be tempted to go back to standard ed and see how that compares. Ho hum.

*actually nope, standard ed does it too. Bah.

edit:

Hmm, having just finished jedi fallen order, I cant help think that a similar system of darksoulsy shortcuts and metroidvania gating would work really well for a metro game, if they ever go underground again.

Bah, ok I'm finding the pop-in bad enough to be actually quite distracting, and since it seems to be an LOD loading issue with the game not knowing how to not de-prioritise textures in your fov (right in front of you, even), no amount of settings fiddling or clever workarounds help.

Think I might sleep on this a bit longer and hope for a patch.

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Bah, ok I'm finding the pop-in bad enough to be actually quite distracting, and since it seems to be an LOD loading issue with the game not knowing how to not de-prioritise textures in your fov (right in front of you, even), no amount of settings fiddling or clever workarounds help.

Think I might sleep on this a bit longer and hope for a patch.

Its several years old and been through its GOTY edition etc.

I think it’s what it is at this stage…fwiw I never had any similar issues playing on PC about a year ago

On 06/01/2022 at 22:55, Vulgar Monkey said:

Dunno if that's what I was thinking of but I do remember stalker having some issue like that yeah, think they lost a load of code.

Anyway, have gotten past the extended intro bit and just got a few leads to follow up on the map. Doing ok so far, though the mutants cost me more ammo than I'd like!

Performance-wise, all great except the clouds seem to be super lo-res a lot, def not as intended. Found other cases of this online but not sure if anyone ever found a solution.

edit:

Found a great example here:

Unfortunately sounds like a texture streaming bug with the enhanced ed*. Might be tempted to go back to standard ed and see how that compares. Ho hum.

*actually nope, standard ed does it too. Bah.

edit:

Hmm, having just finished jedi fallen order, I cant help think that a similar system of darksoulsy shortcuts and metroidvania gating would work really well for a metro game, if they ever go underground again.

Oh and keep playing and they go underground again eventually…

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to enjoy this. Although I like the setting and the atmosphere I'm really not a fan of the awful bullet-sponge monsters, the non-existent cover mechanics (seriously, how do you make a FPS game these days where you don't peek out of cover when you aim?), the terrible map, enemy projectiles that can hit you through buildings, a main character who even I can run further than and who also gets completely fooked if he falls more than three feet, the dialogues which just go on and on, terrible sound mix which has lines of conversation layered over one another, invisible walls, lack of clear objectives... 

Plus they still haven't bothered fixing the brightness on the PS5.