rllmuk
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

I'm really enjoying it, heading towards the end of winter myself.  The game play appeals to me, I like narrative shooters in the Half Life vein.  Yet I can still go off from the story for a while and explore and fight monsters :)  I don't like fully open world games in the ubisoft mould as i get overwhelmed with trying to do everything and it begins to feel like a tickbox exercise. 

I think they'd make a great Half Life episode if valve ever outsource.

@fattakin you would have LOVED Stalker from what you're saying there :)

Anyway, I've had to stop playing for today but I just reached the next area. I quickly looked it up - apparently this is the final bit :( Sad that it's almost over. As flawed as it is, I find it to be an absolutely brilliant experience. I can totally see me replaying this several times, just like I still occasionally fire up Stalker.

oh and apparently I'm en route for the bad ending - shit! For those who want to avoid this (it's bleedin' obvious, but I'll spoiler it nonetheless):

Spoiler

Don't kill innocents! Whenever someone tells you don't kill these guys, simply don't. I killed a few of those anti electricity cultists at the very start. Also don't kill enemies who surrender - I've killed a BUNCH of those! I mean, those fuckers were trying to kill *me* just a few moments ago! Protect ya neck fool!!! So yeah, bad ending :(

Finished up the second region last night. I was enjoying it until I got stuck for over an hour on the end of level mini-boss. He has a bunch of minions and its all set in this tiny arena where the grunts spawn on either side. Because I'm on Hardcore difficulty you die in about 2 shots, so it was a complete nightmare! To make matters worse I had a sniper rifle filling up one of my weapon slots, and no assault rifle. Even more frustratingly was every death meant a 50 second loading screen. I was spending longer in loading screens than playing the game! And to rub it in, the boss is incredibly accurate, to the point where bullets pass through scenery that you can't see through, like curtains and little gaps. It's such bullshit to get killed from out of nowhere because of the crap design. A bloody shambles it was, and gave me flashbacks of impossible sections of the earlier games on hard mode.

In the end I persevered and learned a very specific set of actions to take down the grunts as fast as possible, banking on their AI usually taking them the same route. Thanks to some online tips I discovered some molotovs hidden in a dark corner which helped a lot with the boss, which I'd never found because the checkpoint is right when the boss appears and you don't have time to be scouring every nook and cranny when the bullets start flying! So I finally won, and then I found out that I couldn't return to the open world - instead I was literally railroaded into the next region - which really sucked because there were 5 points of interest I'd passed on the way to the showdown that I'd wanted to see, a considerable chunk of gameplay that I mised out on. Really bad design, and there was no way to even go back that far due to the rigid save system - and I wasn't going to repeat the mini-boss again!

Finally onto the next region, Gerbik was right, it's bloody gorgeous. Its a bit of a weird level, I'm half-way through but it took hours to get this far. What's weird is it's a funnelled open world level kind of similar to Half Life 2's coast. So its a linear path with lots of little side areas to explore. At first I didn't realise it was linear and so missed some of the side bits, but overall it's been a fun and gorgeous part of the game. There's some great sub-level designs in there and loads of memorable imagery, even a nice little story thread to follow through overheard conversations. The mid-level boss sucked ass, I could even tell it was a boss arena as soon as I arrived. Get rid of the bosses 4A Games, you can't design good ones! I killed him eventually and that's where I left off. The next half of the level looks cool from my high vantage point and I'm blown away by how big this region is - literally 3 or 4 hours worth of gameplay and I'm only half way through it! This region also highlights what 4A Games does best, environmental storytelling, atmosphere, details and spectacle. If the combat and stealth was a bit deeper, you could take sections of this level and hold it up against the top rated games out there. It gave me a very Half Life 2 vibe. 

• Upvote 2

Haven't had the time to play since posting last Thursday that I was near the end! Today I finally had an evening to myself and after readjusting to the controls again (just one weekend is all it takes to forget at my age) and the game freezing during the final cutscenes (forcing me to reboot the game and start the ending again at the last checkpoint) I finally did it! 

As predicted I got the bad ending :( Which is also a sad ending :( Fitting with the atmosphere and tone, but on my next playthrough - and I do see myself playing this again thanks to its unique atmosphere - I'm going full on goody two-shoes.

For those wondering whether the final area is Stalker ish again:

Spoiler

It's not, it's 100% classic Metro instead, going back to the style of the first two games. I thought it was really well done and worked perfectly as an claustrophobic, desperate struggle ending set-piece.

Despite its flaws, I really enjoyed my time with Exodus and I'm day one for the next game. More Stalker-like areas in the next one plz!

• Upvote 3

I've played the first two games several times over the years and really enjoy the setting, narrative and humour of them. I picked up Exodus not knowing a thing about it and am VERY surprised to find myself outside in a wide area without a mask on rather than the Metro tunnels. I'm loving this new direction, it''s exactly what needed to happen. Playing on Hardcore and trying to rescue some people from a bandit camp and getting one-shot by a guy with a shotgun. This is perfect difficulty for me, it was never about run'n'gunning, and several times I've had to leg it as I'm short of ammo. I'm really having to take things slow.

Loving the workbench, the graphics, and  the open area game play, the setting, and can't wait to see where this story goes, then bung it on Hardcore Ranger mode.

• Upvote 3

Finished this last week and although I enjoyed the last few chapters, I was really disappointed that they ditched the semi-open world structure later on. I loved the free roaming Stalker-esque vibe of the first two regions but as the game went on it became super linear. I understand they wanted to pay homage to the original games, but I'd have much preferred to explore those linear bits as sub-areas of a bigger region.

I'm guessing they maybe ran out of time to do 4 fully realised open world areas. It felt like mummy snatching away all the best toys.

That aside I still found the last third of the game quite fun, even though it felt like there were no new ideas in there - it felt dated gameplaywise but still held up. There were some really annoying bits near the end but actually I found the last chapter way easier and had craploads of ammo by the time I finished the game. I got the good ending, basically just by not being a dick for most of the time. Overall on Hardcore it was a pretty good challenge and way fairer than the previous games on that difficulty. Still there were some bullshit sections with instadeath like the mini-boss I moaned about earlier in the thread.

No word on sales figures that I've found, I hope it did well because I'd love them to take the formula and embrace it fully. I also really hope they get some new game designers on board to push some new ideas, tighten up combat and add interesting enemies instead of generic mutants/wildlife. Imagine how good those first few levels could have been if they had enemy variety like what you see in Half Life 2 for example. It feels like a franchise that's so close to being 9/10 but just needs a bit more oomph on the gameplay and imagination side of things.

No question though that 4A are masters at world building, atmosphere and graphics. They do good characters as well (just a pity you're force-fed the interactions in this one). I hope this game brought Metro to a new audience.

• Upvote 1

I've got a feeling that two things which may have helped a lot with my ending were:

Freeing slaves in the desert and not killing any slaves (only knocking them out where I had to).

Not killing any of the forest people (although I did kill the bandit faction in the village next to the church). Apparently if you hurt the forest people your buddy gets wounded in retaliation which hurts your karma.

Maybe scaring the bear away in the first encounter helped too? I didn't even realise you can cut the rope ladder to escape the bear during the fight!

I'm also guessing that finding the extra doodads for your NPC friends helps (I found teddy for the girl, got photo for the woman in the desert). 

• Upvote 1

Arrived at the next zone last night... 

Metro Exodus_20190313222803

Still loving it, but definitely feels like its struggling to match the highs of the first zone. I'm missing the Stalker vibes.

• Upvote 3

On 17/02/2019 at 11:57, Dave White said:

I have to say without sounding like a wily waver, but this whole RTX thing is easily overlooked as another gaming fad, but for a game like this were lighting is key to the immersion, its utterly breathtaking.

It has to be seen running to be believed and seeing 2 comparison shots of on and off aren't going to sell cards to the masses, but the realism is incredible.

Its an even bigger jump than playing doom and then watching a rocket light up a corridor on Quake with a voodoo card way back in the early 90's

What kind of framerates are you getting at which resolution with RTX enabled? I ordered the 2080 Ti today and this games comes with it, so your post got me all excited. :)

On 07/03/2019 at 15:05, Mr. Gerbik said:

oh and apparently I'm en route for the bad ending - shit! For those who want to avoid this (it's bleedin' obvious, but I'll spoiler it nonetheless):

Reveal hidden contents

Don't kill innocents! Whenever someone tells you don't kill these guys, simply don't. I killed a few of those anti electricity cultists at the very start. Also don't kill enemies who surrender - I've killed a BUNCH of those! I mean, those fuckers were trying to kill *me* just a few moments ago! Protect ya neck fool!!! So yeah, bad ending :(

The requirements to get the good ending are utterly absurd. It’s not just obey the spoiler, as you stated there, but if you kill too many enemies who are actively trying to kill you then it also counts against you. I made all good, moral choices, tried to help out whenever I could, only ever killed enemies who were actively hunting me, knocked out everyone else when I stealthed, and it still wasn’t enough. I’m all for prudence and selective fire, but they may as well call it the pacifist ending. 

Honestly, for your sanity, just play it how you want to. 

I've just started playing this on PC.

i7 9400, RTX2070. 1080p. Everything cranked up to ultra including RTX and it looks lovely (Apart from in the snow on the surface). I can't find a borderless windows mode and the game hangs my entire PC when I alt-tab but apart from that it's running and looking stunning. Had to turn off Geforce Highlights since it decided to alt-tab me at the end of the initial fight against the armoured train and my pc hung. I haven't dared to go back and see how much progress I've lost yet.

Is there anyway to change the footstep sounds because that shit has to be broken :)

• Upvote 1

I got this free with my card so I'm looking forward to giving it a go at some point. Loved Stalker and obviously a huge HL fan.

Rather annoyingly for such an Nvidia focused game half the utility functions on the geforce experience just aren't working properly for me with this. Ansel mode expects me to take photos of my desktop (Which is funny on a game with no borderless windows support at all), screenshots don't take and recording videos works for a few seconds and then just leaves me with a still screen and game audio.

Very vexing.

Playing on PS4 and the game can be quite punishing if you don't take care with your ammo. I'm only playing through the first bit but I quite often find I run out of ammo in the middle of a fight with monsters (somewhat due to trying to play the game in the same vain as I do battlefield etc I think).

Loving it though and it feel's so much better than other post-apocalyptic games that I've played in recent times, much more atmospheric.

Loving this so much. Its the evolution Metro needed. Open areas, tense as fuck. It feels like survival. I'm spending most of my time crouched and checking everything.

Couple of vids of PC performance, its running at 60fps but Geforce Experience is laggy shit.

• Upvote 4

On 01/04/2019 at 10:22, Len said:

I got this free with my card so I'm looking forward to giving it a go at some point. Loved Stalker and obviously a huge HL fan.

Just started this last night (RTX2080Ti, most things maxed out) so only a few hours in so far but enjoying getting to grips with the world. Just got to the church.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:26, Mr. Gerbik said:

:(

I really tried...

Managed to get the good ending.  Its easier than the other two games.

• Upvote 1

Just bought this on the PS4 and finding the input lag really bad. My Samsung TV has low input lag but this feels bad to me, anyone else finding this

I'm quite enjoying this in a, is it all about to fall apart at the seams, oh god it's a bit clunky but....jesus christ that's beautiful and what an atmosphere way. Got my upgrading/cleaning/sneaking/panicking pattern sorted now and ploughing onward. About to sort that bridge out.

A shout has to go to the writing and voice work, it's comically bad in places. :D

3 hours ago, Len said:

A shout has to go to the writing and voice work, it's comically bad in places. :D

I often wondered if it was just the fault of the translation that made Metro such a difficult game to like! Just never took to the games at all unfortunately. There's a lot of technical greatness going on in the games, but mixed with a huge amount of jank. Normally this doesn't usually matter to me, but in this instance it hit hard.

• Upvote 1

I know what you mean and I think we're so lucky to have and get used to the AAAness (yes that's a word) and polish of so many games these days that something like this is really noticeable. You can really feel its PC roots that's for sure.

I am weirdly enjoying it though I have to say.

Its my favourite game of the last 12 months but then I adore the setting, the clunkiness of the lead, the B-movie NPCs and by God is it one of the best looking games I've ever pumped into my eyeballs.

• Upvote 1

I think I might take a short trip this lunchtime - I just finished Metro 2033 and Last Light (Redux) for the first time on PS4 a couple of weeks ago (think I mentioned starting it upthread) so a great time to jump into this.

I love it when a plan comes together. And when games coincidentally get cheap about when I'm ready to play them.

Edit: aaaaand yoink! Thanks, Mr Do 71...

• Upvote 3

I didn't get much time to play this, but so far, seems like familiar Metro territory, and yes, Artyom is still the strong, silent type...

I haven't reached the first open area yet but I'm enjoying it so far, very atmospheric and it looks gorgeous. It even does HDR well, which is a rarity.

I like how these games are defiantly Russian/eastern european, without feeling the need to pander to the west, yet still feel pretty triple A in quality.