IGNORED

State of Decay 2

gospvg

Day 3. I now have water, upgraded store and upgraded farm. Plenty of supplies in stock and a fueled up car.

One outpost. Looking for somewhere for a second. My first deploys meds. I think I want materials for the second. It's dark and all my team bar one are knackered. I do have one slot left. I might go looking for someone to recruit.

I'm not having too much trouble with it to be honest after that first mission that went wrong. I like how dynamic the events are. Stuff just happens. I tried the PC version on my third gen I5. It gave me a warning up front about being below minimum spec (Just the CPU). I knocked the settings down to medium and it preceeded to run at 60 anyway.

It's definitely worth trying on gamepass next week at the very least.

1 hour ago, Orko said:

Bugs can be fixed. If the gameplay is solid, then that's what matters. Surprised it's still a bit hokey, though. You'd think Microsoft would have chucked money and expertise at it. 

Problem is the bugs were never entirely fixed for State of Decay, it was still in a pretty wobbly state when they released the Year One edition for Xbox One almost two years after the original. Starting to think Undead Labs may be one of those development houses that good ideas crawl halfway out of, but as you say there’s no excuse for it when you have MS signing off on such an obviously unfinished product. 

I went back prepped and murdered the fuck out of those three shits who killed my men. I was surprised (But shouldn't have been) that as I killed each one they got up as zombz and joined the fray :)

I then finished a supply run and managed to get my best car stuck on the geometry and do a weird physics flip and now it's unusable.

I need to take out a plague heart next. It's causing a lot of shit to spawn.

I have a love/hate attitude toward zombie games where the night cycle is pitch black. Dying Light was the first. Now this! Its soooo atmospheric, but you get fuck all done, other than creep cautiously, one inch at a time.

Really enjoying this so far. But i'm a sucker for survival games, where looting houses and avoiding conflict is order of the day. 

Been on this for a week now, survived 12 days so far in single player.

Some utterly desperate situations and terrible mistakes on my part, The worst being pressing the wrong speech command twice. Instead of treating my Dr with blood Virus cure I pressed the Euthanasia button. She walked off into the sunset.

Then a proper nasty group of survivors whose requests for help I Ignored mostly because they were the other side of the map. When I finally got to them again I pressed the wrong command instead of help a massive fuck you instead was given, didn't go down well,  started a shit storm firefight lost my best player. And ran for my life and returned armed to the teeth and gave them what for. 

This has been criticised for a number of things, but the day to day survival is something Im really enjoying, stresses and all. The daily invasions, and clearing of the hordes is rewarding when you fend them off, and finding new stuff for the base is done right. The balance of fuel vs exploration keeps you on tenterhooks and it really feels like you're part of a desperate situation.

New types of Zombie are stating to appear and as your stats and arms increase, that all means nothing with almost a reset. The blood curdling deep scream of something called a Juggernaut will fill you with fear.

For all the fun I've had, there have been some bugs in particular vehicles getting stuck in rocks if youve traversed a cliff, or even crashed into a barrier, ive lost 4 cars to this as they are rendered useless, and am torn between design decision or bug. It makes you drive more carefully thats for sure as vehicles are your best asset.

Ive been told there is a massive day one patch for the launch which will hopefully fix things such as connection issues and the above.

The hunt for better gear better resources and arms is very very addictive and I love the anticipation of new places and whats in store. And the loss of a player is final and really hits you as you know them and so miss their skills, seeing their graves on the map cements the loss.

Rough at the moment but I can see way past the problems and imagine in co-op this will be brilliant, helping people or them helping you. Ive said it before but games these days have to have something good to keep me held and this does.

for at the asking price it's a done deal but for the game pass its a no brainer.

I am intrigued on a few things, reckon you could behave like a right bastard, looting and killing everyone, and also wonder how it works in MP ive helped and had help by other players, you get a nice bonus of goodies for doing so.

But I wonder if team kill is an option? if you could just kill the host and take his stuff?? Reckon some right stick up kids will be up for it if so.

Crashed on the loading screen for me after finishing the main tutorial area. No save point so right back to the beginning. As someone with 20 years of game testing under my belt this is fucking unacceptable. So do I uninstall the game and pretend it doesn't exist or start again and hope it can't be recreated? Shame as I loved the first one and there's probably a cracking game in here, but what a dreadful first impression.

@the_buddha_of_gaming did you get your game sorted out?

Ive luckily had none of that (X1X), and was able to play for 7 hours straight without any game-breaking issues. I got that bug with one of my followers, where she first got a personal mission (something medical related) which then became inactive because I waited too long, but the quest marker is still visible over her profile. So I dont know if the quest is bugged out but still available, or if its inactive and the marker for it is bugged? One of the other followers has a personal mission which is still fine and available even though Ive let him wait longer than the medic.

Downloaded this morning.  Can't wait to get stuck into it tonight.  I'm usually pretty tolerant of jank, so hopefully there's nothing too game-breaking in here to ruin the experience.  Been waiting for this game for such a long time.

52 minutes ago, ronin said:

@the_buddha_of_gaming did you get your game sorted out?

Ive luckily had none of that (X1X), and was able to play for 7 hours straight without any game-breaking issues. I got that bug with one of my followers, where she first got a personal mission (something medical related) which then became inactive because I waited too long, but the quest marker is still visible over her profile. So I dont know if the quest is bugged out but still available, or if its inactive and the marker for it is bugged? One of the other followers has a personal mission which is still fine and available even though Ive let him wait longer than the medic.

I did. Well, I had it crash again at the same point a second time, despite selecting different starting characters and choosing a different location. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it's fine now and could progress past the tutorial. Bit gutted as one of my first starting characters had the same name as one of my cats (Calliope) but the names change each time you start it and she's just called Karen or something now.

Something i've just spotted for those on the fence about this.

You can buy the game from Tesco online for only £24....

CEX will buy it from you for £24 or give you exchange for £28 so if you bought it and didn't like it you wouldn't technically lose anything....

Though I find it absolutely bizarre that they think they can charge £38 second hand when doing a price comparison the only company charging more for it are 'appliances online'... How is that chain still going? :unsure:

Alternatively I think a months xbox game pass is only 79p on cdkeys :)

CEX sometimes offer the full retail price (or more) on the day of the games launch because they stock no brand new games and miss the footfall major releases can bring. It may drop in price quite quickly..!

6 hours ago, Luseth said:

Something i've just spotted for those on the fence about this.

You can buy the game from Tesco online for only £24....

CEX will buy it from you for £24 or give you exchange for £28 so if you bought it and didn't like it you wouldn't technically lose anything....

Though I find it absolutely bizarre that they think they can charge £38 second hand when doing a price comparison the only company charging more for it are 'appliances online'... How is that chain still going? :unsure:

Alternatively I think a months xbox game pass is only 79p on cdkeys :)

I'm pretty sure:

£25 RRP (£24 at Tesco) is for the download code in a box.

£40 RRP and the CEX trade prices you quoted are for the physical disc version.

Well that's a game breaking bug I suppose. Get nothing but a black screen after starting a New Community (Which I assume is how you start the game). Left it sitting on the screen for a few minutes, incase it has a long load time... still just a black screen with some music playing. 

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

I'm pretty sure:

£25 RRP (£24 at Tesco) is for the download code in a box.

£40 RRP and the CEX trade prices you quoted are for the physical disc version.

Nope, bought my copy from tesco - £24 and it came physical :)

It's currently installing in my console

@bradigor is it game breaking if you haven't started the game? :P

Started this earlier was quite surprised by just how similar it is to the first one, with a lot of its systems feeling nearly identical. It does all feel quite janky early on, BUT I am having a lot of fun with it, so I'll certainly be sinking some time into it.

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

Nope, bought my copy from tesco - £24 and it came physical :)

Thats really good value. And CEX are screwed until they realise the error of their ways. :lol:

I'm really enjoying this! The risk-versus-reward of "how far do i wanna push it?", is fantastic. Had some real butt-clenching moments where i thought that particular character was perma-fucked, but I narrowly escaped.

The night cycle is on par with Dying Light in its "fuck me, do i wanna venture out in this?" - the only real light source is your vehicle's headlamps, but they attract way too much attention, so once you're on foot you really cannot tell where the threats are coming from until their red eyes appear (or very late on the radar). I love it, but it means you get very little exploration done until the sun shows its face.

Top Tip: You cannot quit to Dashboard hoping the game didn't auto-save. I tried earlier when i accidentally wrecked my Police Cruiser with a trunk full of goodies. When i reloaded, i was stood in-front of my flaming wreck. lol! Luckily the loot didn't burn up, but it took me forever to find a new car to transfer all the goods. 

Most Important Tip: Do not go 4x4-ing over the hills & rocks in your vehicle! It will get stuck on scenery, and it will filp. Stick to the main roads even though it eats fuel. There are no shortcuts, even on foot.

As a game, sure its a little ropey, but that being said i love the melee combat (crunchy). The shooting is great. Traversal is awful so don't try rock-climbing despite what the tip loading screen says.

Go into it with a mindset knowing that its not as polished as most other games, and you may have as much fun as i've been having.

Finally got it working, then I think the first mission bugged out on me (where I had to find a rucksake of supplies) I have entered and cleared all the building it suggested, but one stays with the search icon, despite being completely cleared and searched. So I cannot progress any further. Think I'll jump off for now and try again tomorrow when less tired. 

Does this get harder? I'm a day after the first plague heart mission and I've yet to feel any threat or difficulty... or fun really. I feel like i'm just doing a bunch of stuff because it's telling me too. It's got a definite sense of blandness so far, but that may just be because I was tired when I was playing it, that would't have affected the difficulty though!

I found that a bit last night, as well.  I never played the first one, so perhaps that's just the way it is, but I was just going from place to place, killing the occasional zombie and looting lots of boxes.  Then taking stuff back to my house and repeating.  I've been waiting for this for so long I'm going to stick with it for a bit more, but so far I'm not really impressed.

No bugs for me, though.  Woo.