IGNORED

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

gospvg

New standalone game? Expansion?

This new adventure will star Billie Lurk, Daud’s second-in-command from the original game’s DLC.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider will be playable standalone; the end of the trailer shows it as a boxed product releasing September 15

The DLC for the first Dishonored was some of the best I've ever played so I'm looking forward to this. Dishonored 2 was great but I didn't find it that much of a step up from the first one, so I hope they've come up with some new ideas. Either way the whole tone of these games is quite unique & I can't wait to visit that world again.

Put together, the Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches was basically a sequel to Dishonored. Or, rather, it was a mid-nineties expansion pack, where you'd pretty much get the equivalent of another whole game for half the price.

This looks cool then. Judging by the trailer, Billie's abilities are all science-based rather than supernatural. So presumably no bone charms to upgrade. Wonder how they'll handle unlocking powers. And Daud is just hard-boiled pulp wonderment isn't he. I can't wait. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 15:44, HarryBizzle said:

Dishonored 2 was a bit of a let down for me, personally.

Same here. They actually lost me when...

Spoiler

Delilah showed up

...which was right at the start of course. It took everything the player achieved...

Spoiler

in the previous game's DLC

...and just threw it away. Couldn't get invested after that, which is a shame as there's some sterling level design on show. Hopefully this'll prove to be a worthwhile stand-in, although I can only expect that the Outsider turns up at the start this time, kills them both dead and you actually play as someone totally different because, come on, kill the Outsider? Unlikely.

EDIT: The three neg rule. It's a thing. Get used to it. :hat:

Isn't he basically a god?

Just finished dishonoured 2 and also found it - not a let-down, but perhaps a little less amazing than I was expecting. Parts of it - like the clockwork mansion and the looking glass - are fantastic, up there with the best game design I've ever seen. But other parts such as the finale just felt a bit flat. Compared to the first game anyway.

Also the boat hub world wasn't nearly as good as the pub one in D1. The pub was great, it really felt like the story progressed there, and then it comes under attack - brilliant, never seen that in a game before.But the boat just had a few conversations.

I think the narrative was weaker compared to the first game and the fact that Delilah is made the main enemy just make it seem like a bit of a retread of the DLC. But the world building was every bit as cool, the levels felt every bit as lived in. The actual minute to minute gameplay was improved. I'm hoping for a few decent sized levels in this expandalone.

Having just finished Prey I really admire Arkane's dedication toward creating these convincing other places that seem like smallish corners of a much larger, internally-consistent world. For me there's a far richer seam of narrative encoded within the setting than the storyline itself, one which relies on my imagination to fill in the blanks. That sort of subtlety should be applauded 

• 3 weeks later...

It's very very good. But I'm struggling a bit to understand how to complete some of the optional objectives. Some things just work and you don't know why, or don't work and you don't know why. There's three hours of me mucking around on the first mission here if you're interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/175493865

Sorry about my face.  I don't talk over the game unless I've got viewers asking questions so there's no "it's ya boy" at least.

Yeah I've stuck best part of six hours into the first two missions. So far it's a pretty decent addition to the series. I'm really hoping it's not a final goodbye after the lacklustre sales of D2. I wanna see Tyvia & Pandyssia yet. 

On 23-8-2017 at 08:56, HarryBizzle said:

Forgot about this. So many games, so little time. 

How about this one: I went to check and see if I could get Dishonored 2 cheap. Time to get the main game now that the expansion is out, right? ...and it turns out that I already have the game on Steam. Never played, not even installed in fact :facepalm:

21 hours ago, Moz said:

It's very very good. But I'm struggling a bit to understand how to complete some of the optional objectives. Some things just work and you don't know why, or don't work and you don't know why. There's three hours of me mucking around on the first mission here if you're interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/175493865

Sorry about my face.  I don't talk over the game unless I've got viewers asking questions so there's no "it's ya boy" at least.

I'll make sure to shout out "it's our boy Moz!" next time you're live :)