Jump to content
rllmuk
Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

Recommended Posts

I've bought it, despite still not having completed the base game. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and ignore my rules for only going online once I've soloed something for those 3 Elder Dragons, because I want to see the new stuff so much! Which means that reading stuff like ...

 

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Until two days ago, I'd never been beyond this point of the game. The prospect of three elder dragons in a row sounded so wearisome that I gave the game a break and kind of forgot to go back, both on PS4 and PC. In preparation for Iceborne, I powered through them in a day, Purin, and it was actually pretty fun. Then you're just a quest away from Iceborne.

 

.... makes me feel a lot better, because that's where I am right now. I can imagine there are plenty in the same boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crafted myself an ice shark armour set and choppy stick, now I’m not taking 50% damage with every hit. 

 

This is running remarkably well on a launch PS4, especially impressed with the snow deformation. 

 

Now to fight Ramhead McChargeface!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I've bought it, despite still not having completed the base game. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and ignore my rules for only going online once I've soloed something for those 3 Elder Dragons, because I want to see the new stuff so much! 

 

This makes no sense. The game is designed for group hunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

 

This makes no sense. The game is designed for group hunting. 

Just a personal preference. Think of it as a self-imposed challenge, a remnant of the days I had some skills. But you're right, it really does make no sense, and this is why Teostra and Vaal Hazak were dispatched in a single 20 minute session earlier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes total sense. There's a huge sense of satisfaction to be had from taking a monster down single-handedly for the first time. I think it's also the best way to learn a monster's attacks and figure out how best to take them down. You have way more time and space on your own.

 

I really love hunting with others once I've got a monster's patterns down and have slayed a few on my own, but there's nothing worse than a much higher rank player turning up and wiping your target out in a couple of minutes before you've even seen what the monster can do.

 

None of us MH3 noobs would have had that amazing experience of taking down Great Jaggi with five minutes to spare if Tri had encouraged you to fire a flare within minutes of starting your first real hunt.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Just a personal preference. Think of it as a self-imposed challenge, a remnant of the days I had some skills. But you're right, it really does make no sense, and this is why Teostra and Vaal Hazak were dispatched in a single 20 minute session earlier!

 

Psst, most fights are actually easier solo thanks to group scaling, even that has changed now mind, it used to be anything other than solo there was a massive boost to the monster, now it scales per player, solo it’s much much easier to inflict ailments, KOs etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit concerned that starting Iceborne might have fucked up my special assignments from the base game. I still had a Deviljho quest and some Witcher thing to do, but now I'm not able to access any special assignments at all. It's greyed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I'm a bit concerned that starting Iceborne might have fucked up my special assignments from the base game. I still had a Deviljho quest and some Witcher thing to do, but now I'm not able to access any special assignments at all. It's greyed out.

 

 

The DLC stuff is definitely still there somewhere because I've still got one of the quest markers in the hub. I think they've been moved from assignments to HR event quests or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mafro said:

 

 

The DLC stuff is definitely still there somewhere because I've still got one of the quest markers in the hub. I think they've been moved from assignments to HR event quests or something?

 

I had the quest markers in the hub at first too, and the same notification about the Geralt DLC quest that had popped up after every quest (I was ignoring it) but that has now vanished. There was a point where a bunch of NPCs all moved around from their usual places and I think that's when the markers and DLC quests vanished. I can't find them in any other category and I don't get the Geralt notification after quests any more. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you go to the map to move back to the old hub can you select low rank/high rank etc like you do when you go on an expedition? Perhaps that's why you cannot see the DLC stuff cuz you are in the master rank version of the hub.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must say they did an amazing job with the subspecies, they have always seemed like a way to eek out a bit more mileage from the monster models, now they have loads of news moves and look stunning with their new paint jobs.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

When you go to the map to move back to the old hub can you select low rank/high rank etc like you do when you go on an expedition? Perhaps that's why you cannot see the DLC stuff cuz you are in the master rank version of the hub.

Was just about to post this, so I'll add a picture I just took
You can see at the top you can select the rank with the R1/L1 buttons, you need to go to a HR not MR hub.
Wmda8J8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Must say they did an amazing job with the subspecies, they have always seemed like a way to eek out a bit more mileage from the monster models, now they have loads of news moves and look stunning with their new paint jobs.

I agree, I thought it might have been a cop out, then I fought some of them and they really do feel totally different, like completely new beasts.
Starting to hit issues with Greatsword now, everything is so bloody fast! still the CHOP! still seems to be effective for now :)
up to MR3* quests
 

Spoiler

Up to Tygrex and Brachi, oh man, they hurt :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

When you go to the map to move back to the old hub can you select low rank/high rank etc like you do when you go on an expedition? Perhaps that's why you cannot see the DLC stuff cuz you are in the master rank version of the hub.

 

35 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Was just about to post this, so I'll add a picture I just took
You can see at the top you can select the rank with the R1/L1 buttons, you need to go to a HR not MR hub.
Wmda8J8.png

 

The LR/HR/MR toggles only apply to expeditions, I think, not to the hubs. I thought you were both onto something for a moment but I tried travelling to Astera with High Rank selected in that menu and it's no different. Still no special assignments. Still no blue exclamation marks.

 

I think Geralt was hanging out in the Research Base before, but he's not there any more. Again, that's while selecting High Rank to go there. It's because Iceborne has moved things about in the existing hubs, I think.

 

Dont think I'll ever be doing that Deviljho Food Chain special assignment now,  but at least I can hunt him on a high rank expedition to the Ancient Forest. All's not lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

Must say they did an amazing job with the subspecies, they have always seemed like a way to eek out a bit more mileage from the monster models, now they have loads of news moves and look stunning with their new paint jobs.

 

Absolutely. The two subspecies I've done so far were fantastic.

 

And the MH3 monster I was hoping would make an appearance above all others has just been introduced!

 

Spoiler

Barioth. :wub: He made almost too much sense for an ice-themed expansion but I was worried they'd omit him regardless. So pleased he's in. About to go smash his amber tusks in!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a look and the Deviljo, Behemoth and Witcher quests are definitely still there in my Low Rank/High Rank special assignments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch a twitch streamer called cante per me play this regularly, the way they play it’s like watching a dance at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mafro said:

I just had a look and the Deviljo, Behemoth and Witcher quests are definitely still there in my Low Rank/High Rank special assignments.

 

What MR are you? And had you already completed those quests before starting Iceborne? My special assignments option is greyed out - can't even click on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

 

What MR are you? And had you already completed those quests before starting Iceborne? My special assignments option is greyed out - can't even click on it.

 

MR 10 and I hadn't completed two of the three quests. Someone is saying in the replies to the reddit posts that they become available again once you've beaten Barioth which I did last night so it sounds like that's the trigger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mafro said:

 

MR 10 and I hadn't completed two of the three quests. Someone is saying in the replies to the reddit posts that they become available again once you've beaten Barioth which I did last night so it sounds like that's the trigger?

 

Ahhh, hopefully that's it. I wouldn't know because I've failed to slay him twice. :o Second attempt lasted 45 minutes, ran out of all my potions and traps and he triumphed over me in the dying minutes.

 

He is everything I could have possibly hoped for. An absolutely fucking majestic modern realisation of him. Both of those (ultimately abortive) fights had all the exhilaration of my earliest MH hunts. I was on the fucking ropes. Each time his music kicks in, it's utterly intimidating, as is the way his seemingly gigantic mass lunges over the top of you. Because of the erratic nature of his movements, he frequently ends up off screen, as in previous games, but in this he had me so totally dominated I was screwing my eyes shut at certain moments waiting for the impending deathblow. Truly exhilarating.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

 

Ahhh, hopefully that's it. I wouldn't know because I've failed to slay him twice. :o Second attempt lasted 45 minutes, ran out of all my potions and traps and he triumphed over me in the dying minutes.

 

He is everything I could have possibly hoped for. An absolutely fucking majestic modern  realisation of him. Both of those (ultimately abortive) fights had all the exhilaration of my earliest MH hunts. I was on the fucking ropes. Each time his music kicks in, it's utterly intimidating, as is the way his seemingly gigantic mass lunges over the top of you. Because of the erratic nature of his movements, he frequently ends up off screen, as in previous games, but in this he had me so totally dominated I was screwing my eyes shut at certain moments waiting for the impending deathblow. Truly exhilarating.


I'm a few more monsters in now and I can honestly say the same for those too, this is absolutely incredible. I'm not going to need many games for a long time.....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend so long moaning about niggles here and there that I sometimes forget Capcom has basically made the game I've wanted since those first adventures in Moga Woods. That dream of a big budget, high definition console Monster Hunter that we all knew Capcom would never actually make. It has a few issues but this is that game, and that's incredible really.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legina:
 

Spoiler

What a pain in the arse Shrieking Legiana was! Probably the one I've had most trouble with as it just won't stay still and let me club it with a giant sword ;p


Anyone playing LBG/HBG/Bow? would be interested to hear how thy are bearing up this DLC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is also something only semi MHW related really but I was up playing this late last night and my niece messaged with good news that her daughter had just been born and she had named her Eliana which is a name I'd never heard before..
The very next person to answer my SOS about a minute later :wub:
UiUeXPe.png

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy ...

 

Master rank is tough! I initially assumed that it would be a new selection of areas, with LR and HR. Didn't realise that everything would be such a step up. I was in the last 10 minutes when I finally put him down, having used all 10 Mega potions and crafted 10 more. At least I can take solace in the fact that most of the hits I took were due to not seeing the monster, either because it was under the snow or hiding behind the Popos.

 

Really looking forward to Master rank versions of monsters I'm more familiar with, after the Elder Melder gave me a quest to fight a Great Jagras which I assume will be lots of fun and less "Fuck's sake!" than snow shark was. I don't really want to grind Beatodus, so I'm hoping there's some better armour that I can get fairly easily early on. 

 

It really is like being a newbie in Tri all over again. Well played, Capcom.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.