Monster Hunter: World

Yoshimax

I had a long break from this but have picked it up again. My HR was in the 30s and I thought I'd push through to Rank 50 or so, so was grinding for a good build for this level when i happened to read that as soon as you start Iceborn your gear is out of date!

So that was a waste of time! I DL the DLC and sure enough , even the bone armour is better than my hard earned armour. 

On the plus side it did rekindle my Monster hunter love, so I've dived into Iceborn. I am glad I spent a bit of time in the original finding my feet again as I might have given up on Iceborn quite early on as there have been some ... frustrating moments! 

Still thank goodness we have a new Handler.

Can anyone confirm what the long term plan was for this game?

Like how long it was going to be supported for, what releases there would be etc.

I played it when it first came out (and loved it) but haven’t touched Iceborne or any other DLC and wanted to get an idea of where the game is in its life cycle.

Anyone any idea if there’s anew one coming? I know Rise is coming to Switch but would prefer a PS sequel to this.

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

Like how long it was going to be supported for, what releases there would be etc.

I played it when it first came out (and loved it) but haven’t touched Iceborne or any other DLC and wanted to get an idea of where the game is in its life cycle.

Anyone any idea if there’s anew one coming? I know Rise is coming to Switch but would prefer a PS sequel to this.

They are done with world now. The team will have moved onto the next game which will pretty much be Monster Hunter 6.

Its still very active tho and there is tons of content especially if you missed Iceborne. 

The switch game is made by the B team who normally make more experimental MH games, the A team then steal any of the ideas that work, so we will probably see 2 years of support for the Switch game which will get an expansion around a year in and then we’ll start to see some MH6 stuff. So a long wait for the next PlayStation Monster Hunter.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Even though its no longer getting new content, there is a tonne of stuff to do in vanilla and even more if you get IceBorn, but if you are going to get the DLC dont waste time making HR armour etc like I did! 

Ok the Handler is back :( 

Also is Barioth and that bat thing essentially the same creature? I do hate those fast whippy tail swinging monsters! Viper Tobi, followed by those two has been pretty hard going. I had the bat thing limping back to its nest to be trapped and the timer ran out while I was following it :( 50 minutes down the tube !

Ive also just found out there is a whole bunch of Palico Equipment I never got so I think im going to go and unlock all of them by way of a break.

There is so much going on in this game its crazy.

I love the handler!

Finished the main game but never got Iceborne. All this MH:Rise talk is giving me the itch again though .

Are there any good deals for Iceborne at the moment on Xbox? And speaking of Xbox, are there Xbox hunters here, or was cross play ever implemented?

2 hours ago, Purin said:

I love the handler!

Finished the main game but never got Iceborne. All this MH:Rise talk is giving me the itch again though .

Are there any good deals for Iceborne at the moment on Xbox? And speaking of Xbox, are there Xbox hunters here, or was cross play ever implemented?

I cannot believe anyone likes the Handler! Still horses for courses.

I am a PC hunter and I don't think there is any cross play even though the content is in sync now :( 

Edit: can't believe I got to HR 50 without doing even the bughunter task. Got my first new Palico equipment!  And found some parts of the forest I didnt even know existed!

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who got Iceborne and thus reached Master Rank but hasn't been playing this recently, load it back up and do the current movie event questline It's 2 quests, that allow you to craft the Artemis armour set from the movie. (Males can also wear it.) And it's ridiculous! Could be the best  armour until the stupendously OP endgame stuff. Certainly better than anything else available to me, at any rate.

You have 7 more days in which to do it. I'll be honest, I have no idea if Master Rank exists in the base game or not, but I imagine everyone in this thread got Iceborne and is there anyway.

There's also the Winter Festival taking place, which means loads of the event quests are back. Including my personal favourite, "USJ Gold Star Treatment", which has you fighting 3 Great Jagras in the arena. I'll not spoil why it's my favourite, but you really should give it a go!

• 1 month later...

Totally absorbed in this again. Finished the IceBorn story, the credits roll, but then of course the real fun begins. Been trying out a healer / support build for Safi'Jiva and learning all the new mechanics with awakened weapons aand the guiding lands. 

It just never seems to stop giving.  

Still seem to be people to team up with online which is nice.

5 minutes ago, xtremeboat said:

After seeing all the Rise talk I've just seen this is on Gamepass. How does it perform on the Xbox Series consoles? Never played any MH games

I double dipped on this , Originally had it on XBox one S and it ran very well.  

Its bloody great (there is no blood mind you ) , but although easier than its predecessors to get into it can still be a steep learning curve if you are new.

Stick with it, and feel free to ask for help!

Was doing quite well with the Safi'Jiva seige, depending on how good the randoms you get are of course. I was disspaointed when it swapped to the Kulve Taroth seige , and it lasts for two weeks! 

He has also been battering me, much more annoying and much more reliant it seems on having good team mates. Or maybe the good players have gone now, or dont bother with this mission any more. 

Still having fun though :) 

I thought this end screen was hilarious, the panic in my hunters eyes and the expired mantle tell the story.

20210325171841_1.jpg.e27854847d967a2d375003c3faef4aa2.jpg

Wow I decided to go back and do some of the missions I hadnt done in High Rank. What a blast! Annialating tempered Lunestra and Teostra, Ive never seen them team up before either that was quite something!

And suddenly Im unlocking a load of equipement that I have never had access to before. Mantles etc. 

This game! 

Yeah, the MR gear absolutely annihilates anything HR can throw at you after a certain point. I've been going back every now and again to try and grab mats for charms and things and it's actually quite funny.

My issue at the moment is that i keep darting between weapons now - I was fully a GS main by the end of base World, but now I've been using that, picked the Insect Glaive back, started using and (really enjoying) the Lance, dabbled briefly in the Sword and Shield, and am now tempted to finally try the Hammer...

I'm never going to actually play Rise at this rate. I've only just beaten the Acidic Glavenus and angry Odie...

Ok Alatreon is bloody hard isn't it. It's forced me to go off getting materials to make a new build. And well its not always joyous with randoms is it!

I read it can be easier solo for this reason but it's been pretty brutal.

Finally got a win today just because I got into a game with some really high rank guys who gave it a good kicking for me. My job mainly running around trying to avoid dying.

I remember when i started out in World I thought it was too easy! :lol:

Yeah, I'm actually a little worried about going straight from Iceborne (nearing the end of the story, I think - just fought Namielle) to Rise, just because all the LR stuff is probably going to be really easy in comparison, and I'll miss all this nice gear I'm making for my GS and Lance...

I expect to be (initially) terrible with the Wirebug though, so that will probably help balance it out a bit.

1 hour ago, JDubYes said:

Yeah, I'm actually a little worried about going straight from Iceborne (nearing the end of the story, I think - just fought Namielle) to Rise, just because all the LR stuff is probably going to be really easy in comparison, and I'll miss all this nice gear I'm making for my GS and Lance...

I expect to be (initially) terrible with the Wirebug though, so that will probably help balance it out a bit.

Honestly the best stuff is after the end credits roll. 

I was just fighting Teostra to farm Giant Elder Dragon Gems and thinking how easy it seems now when only a few weeks ago it was constant death. 

I am now having to learn to be a better player, I've just discovered Ive never used the foresight slash!!!! I have a whole new technique to master ! 

That and making builds with some support elements for the harder group fights. (Safi'Jiva , Alatreon, Kulve Taroth)

Mind Blown.

Teostra.jpg.163cdbce121365ff9fe519d8895fc55d.jpg

On 05/04/2021 at 12:17, Padaxes said:

Ok Alatreon is bloody hard isn't it. 

Yep he's hard, the only way I could do him was going hunting horn and trying to heal everyone. They added an easier version you need to do to get to Fatalis tho.

When you fight Fatalis you'll realise Alateon was a pushover. He's nigh on impossible with randoms. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2021 at 16:18, Melon_Bread said:

When you fight Fatalis you'll realise Alateon was a pushover. He's nigh on impossible with randoms. 

My goodness you are not wrong , I tried it solo ( I believe it balances for solo now) still ridiculous. I thought I was doing ok in terms of gear, but he just kept nuking me pretty much instantly.

After playing Rise I decided to mop up the optional quests in World...I'm about 150 hours in to the base game and just about finished now. Might buy Iceborne once I've finished the half a dozen quests I have left :D

12 minutes ago, Purin said:

After playing Rise I decided to mop up the optional quests in World...I'm about 150 hours in to the base game and just about finished now. Might buy Iceborne once I've finished the half a dozen quests I have left :D

I have so many optionals still left to do :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got a new Optional quest from the shop lady in the forge yesterday, couldn't find it anywhere, and then went and found it in the Low/High Rank Optional list. I'm currently something like MR 77 / HR 150, so I have no idea what the hell suddenly triggered that, but it did amuse me.

I did end up trying the Hammer, as I said I might in my last post a few weeks back, but only briefly, and I dropped it again fairly quickly (having described the experience to my MH-playing nephew as 'like being a T-Rex but trying to punch stuff to death', because of the lack of range). Objectively it's easy to just say that the GS is better - longer range, bigger numbers, cuts tails, can still stagger, etc, but something about it stuck with me, so I picked it up again this weekend, and haven't used another weapon since.

I think my 15th ever hunt with it was to unlock the level cap at MR 70, against a tempered Glavenus and Brachydios, and I figured if I could do that with it (they've both got difficult to reach heads, etc) I was probably not imagining it, and was onto something. I think it took 20-25 minutes to capture them both in the end, which I figured was probably pretty decent in the circumstances/a good sign, and while I still think the GS probably has the better matchup spread, and is maybe the purists choice, it's also a bit more fiddly and tryhard, whereas Hammer is just more fun/goes bonk, so I think I'm converted.

I'm much more prepared to just grit out bad matchups with Hammer, weirdly (I think the GS's gimped mobility made me get angrier quicker). I went back to fight (fucking) Diablos with it, to see what it was like in a fight I normally switch (to Lance) for, and while it was still not my favourite thing, it went fine, and was actually quite satisfying knocking the horns off that prick's head. I with the GS you have to be opportunistic in a different way, whereas with the Hammer it feels more natural (to me) to try and be proactive, influence the flow of the fight, and be more aggressive.

(Also: bonk.)

I've finally started using the Guiding Lands properly too - it's insane how much this game (and Iceborne) have to give, so seeing as I'm also still playing co-op with my gf (who's still going through the Iceborne story), I currently still don't see me getting to Rise until they have most of the additional content patched in...

7 hours ago, Padaxes said:

What do you mean by this ? 

Oh, I should probably have dropped the ‘properly’ - I’d only been there about three times before this weekend, but I am actually going there, hunting stuff, and trying to level the areas up now.