rllmuk
Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

I've wanted a big screen MH for years, as I've adored what comparatively little I've played of the series on the 3DS (which I pretty much bought in the first place for MH4U), but I struggle to get properly into handheld games these days. My girlfriend (who's also keen, and has played a bit of MH4U herself) and I had pretty much assumed we'd be getting a Switch once MH came out on that so that I'd finally get my wish, but now this has been announced, and we both have PS4s already, so we'll be able to play online together, it seems like an even better outcome. (Though the Switch is increasingly appealing anyway...)

I was another who was a little concerned about some aspects of that trailer, but cautiously optimistic, and now the more we see/hear impressions from people now the more my hype levels are now rising (to the point they're already approaching the stratosphere). After the last couple of days there's now no game I'm looking forward to more. I can't bloody wait.

A couple of days ago I listened to gaijin hunter's video about the announcement trailer and his biggest disappointment wasn't any of the weird new mechanics or the lack of combat, but the fact that the trailer wasn't conventional enough to attract new players. I don't trust a word he says. ;)

No, really, it's great that he's impressed. So much of it does indeed sound amazing. Even if they fuck a few things up, there will be more surprises in store than any Monster Hunter game since our first, and that's exciting. I played MH4 briefly this afternoon, and honestly, if American-voiced guildmarms and compromises on healing and gathering animations are what it takes to get a second analogue stick and HD visuals, so be it.

Arekkz sounds pretty enthused about it tbh! 

I just wish this one was coming to switch.. :(

• Upvote 3

No idea why they kept that behind closed doors at E3, perhaps they just wanted to keep it for the home crowd in Japan, fair enough look amazing, love the new hammer moves.

That hammer spin :wub:

This looks really, really amazing and I can't wait for 2018.

• Upvote 2

That was stunning! 

The open world looks lovely, while still keeping the MH mechanics.

The dino eating that other one at the start was great. The tracking / hiding / ecology looks lovely. Though the green sparkles look a little OTT atm.

The monsters looked fantastic , the fighting mechanics also looked ... the same but better.  I loved the monsters interacting with each other.

The damn bursting and washing everyone off the ledge was brilliant!

:wub:

• Upvote 2

Apparently they confirmed you can choose a typical MH gibberish language instead of the horrible American English voice acting? Amazing news if so. I can't wait to get home and watch this properly.

Seemed to be far too much Witcher trail crap on screen whenever I managed to glance at what was happening - did it look like the sort of thing we can avoid once we're familiar with maps/monsters or does it seem to be an intrinsic element of every hunt?

I'm watching it again now, it's really quite fuzzy but from what I can gather you get points from the Witcher trail stuff, and it's levelling up? Every time he uses it, it seems to be worth either 5 or 10 points. 10 points for something 'new' discovered and 5 for a continuation of a trail. I don't know what any of that means though! If it's something that needs levelling, it might be something that could become more of a passive skill or something?!  And probably unavoidable depending on what it leads to or unlocks. 

Have tried to get a still of the item wheel to see if sharpening is on it but can't get a clear screen pause! Will see if I can spot any of them sharpening. 

That sounds pretty intrinsic. And repetitive. Nobody wants that, right? Hopefully paintballs or psychoserum still there in some form.

That would make more sense, Kayin!

Okay, seen where the sharpening stone is on the wheel. Now just to spot them using it. :D

Some were insisting over the last few days that although you could move while drinking a potion, you were slowed to a walk while doing so. This clearly isn't the case. You can straight up run and heal, confirmed now. Definitely trying to make this game easier. Fucksake.

And this could be for the purposes of the demo only - let's hope so - but the new monster does a truly pitiful amount of damage to the player. Concerning, even as an early quest.

And I just cannot get over the bugs/Witcher senses. Truly shite.

It's so beautiful though. It looks exactly how I've wanted Monster Hunter to look for years, but without these bizarre changes. I'm so conflicted.

5 hours ago, ann coulter said:

That sounds pretty intrinsic. And repetitive. Nobody wants that, right? Hopefully paintballs or psychoserum still there in some form.

The fireflies are entirely optional, but i assume a lot quicker than the traditional way, especially given the increased map size & complexity.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Curtis said:

The fireflies are entirely optional, but i assume a lot quicker than the traditional way, especially given the increased map size & complexity.

I sure hope so, but I wonder if we're going to end up realising larger maps make the game worse.

Also, where is the difficulty in mounting? It looks just as bad as it was in MH4 and Generations to me. Mash triangle? Who wants this?

16 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Some were insisting over the last few days that although you could move while drinking a potion, you were slowed to a walk while doing so. This clearly isn't the case. You can straight up run and heal, confirmed now. Definitely trying to make this game easier. Fucksake.

I have no idea why you think it would be okay to have the classic, prolonged, drink & flex animation in a totally open environment where there is nowhere to hide and heal safely. Especially if there are multiple threats as demonstrated in the video. I understand why some might think it'll make the game 'easier' and less-risky - being able to chug potions willy-nilly - but imo the dynamic aspects of what they've shown (i.e. streamlining gathering is a godsend) make it look way more exciting than the archaic systems they've been using for way too many years.

Change, can be a good thing.  ;)

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I have no idea why you think it would be okay to have the classic, prolonged, drink & flex animation in a totally open environment where there is nowhere to hide and heal safely. Especially if there are multiple threats as demonstrated in the video. I understand why some might think it'll make the game 'easier' and less-risky - being able to chug potions willy-nilly - but imo the dynamic aspects of what they've shown (i.e. streamlining gathering is a godsend) make it look way more exciting than the archaic systems they've been using for way too many years.

Change, can be a good thing.  ;)

I can't believe you of all people are using this argument. I've read the same nonsense elsewhere - specifically, that because you can no longer leave one zone and heal safely in an adjacent zone, it makes sense to let you heal easily on the run now. Firstly, what is the point of having health bars at all now? No one is ever going to die. The only reason you ever KO and risk three cart failure is because you're stuck to the spot. Secondly, who the hell ducks out of a zone to heal up? You choose your moment during a particular monster animation where you sense you have just enough time to get the heal in. Every heal is a risk and that's what makes it so thrilling. I can't believe you're OK with this.

18 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I can't believe you of all people are using this argument. I've read the same nonsense elsewhere - specifically, that because you can no longer leave one zone and heal safely in an adjacent zone, it makes sense to let you heal easily on the run now. Firstly, what is the point of having health bars at all now? No one is ever going to die. The only reason you ever KO and risk three cart failure is because you're stuck to the spot. Secondly, who the hell ducks out of a zone to heal up? You choose your moment during a particular monster animation where you sense you have just enough time to get the heal in. Every heal is a risk and that's what makes it so thrilling. I can't believe you're OK with this.

That wasn't the argument i was making. If Capcom are selling a constant, relentless hunt, with no room to move or breathe, then playing out the old animation with its risk vs. reward would detract from the dynamism. Compare Bloodborne's healing to Dark Souls, and you'll see what i'm getting at. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Curtis said:

That wasn't the argument i was making. If Capcom are selling a constant, relentless hunt, with no room to move or breathe, then playing out the old animation with its risk vs. reward would detract from the dynamism. Compare Bloodborne's healing to Dark Souls, and you'll see what i'm getting at. 

Dynamism. Surely that's just a euphemism for easing up on the 'slow, clunky' gameplay people have complained about for years, the very thing that makes Monster Hunter what it is. The series has been getting more accessible and 'dynamic' with each entry - jumping and mounting in 4, the disgusting hunter styles in Generations. They should be making the series tougher and more impenetrable than ever, in my opinion, but as with all mainstream publishers, that's at odds with the desire to sell to as many people as possible. So while I can see the rationale for Capcom to make the series more dynamic and less challenging/frustrating for new/worse players, I don't understand why Monster Hunter fans are happy with these attempts to streamline what makes the game uniquely challenging (sometimes annoying) and therefore satisfying.

Basically, I'm worried Capcom is trading challenge for spectacle. Not making the series easy necessarily, but easier.

Well, I'm suitably impressed with the visuals, and Rathalos is unquestionably still Rathalos, so count me in the "Sold" column. Some of the rest of it will take some adjusting to, but I'll give it the chance because I persevered with Tri when I thought I'd made a mistake and that turned out to be a spectacular decision. I do agree with a lot of what @ann coulter is saying, and also think that healing potions in particular should carry some kind of risk, so let's hope there's a balance reached here. But, where I disagree is with how little damage the monster was doing. Sure, it looked a bit puny, but for all we know that's top-level armour and it's definitely a high-level Great Sword. And, the last thing you want is your players getting KOed in the demo that shows how good it is. I'm pretty sure we'll get our asses kicked to high heaven in High and G-Rank.

Make it easier, by all means. As long as you use this to make the end game harder where's the problem? Removing any of the clunkiness is a good thing, because as much as we don't mind gathering once we're used to it, can you really tell me you didn't just buy Mega Potions en masse beyond a certain point of the game?