rllmuk
Sidewaysbob

Motorspot chat - No dull F1 though

52 minutes ago, marsh said:

Within the last decade....there's five f1 failures in the brazillian touring cars right now. That's a bit harsh on Rubens perhaps...?

Well yes.  If you allow me open wheel failures we've got a lot more of course.  Cammish and Jelley for two.  Although Cammish's failure was very much one of budget.

And I'll let you count Rubens because you didn't pick me up on using Nigel.

Hey @Dudley my two little girls have a question for you, whats happened to Catie Munnings and who is Grace Webb from series 2 of CBeebies' "Catie's Grace's Amazing Machines" All I can find is Catie may have a deal with Red Bull to further her rallying career, but what category would she be in, and we know Grace is a "motorcycle rider" but does she ride competetively and if so, what series/discipline? Because they're very keen to see them race now

I've done a bit of googling but you seem to be the guy who knows more about female motorsport competitors

I actually don't recognise either name but apparently Catie attempted the 3rd tier of the European Rally Championship this year with, to put it mildly, limited success. Her teammate's worst finish was better than her best. Given she's been at this level several years I don't want to get down on anyone I hardly know but her record isn't promising.

Grace I barely believe exists. I'm guessing she's just a presenter who happens to be able to ride.

That's a shame, it'd be a great opportunity for kids to see someone they recognise competing, my 4 year old loves motorbikes but the likes of Jenny Tinmouth and Maria Costello barely get any mention in TV coverage for the TT (despite the latter having a senior role in its organisation now and still competing)

Jenny was a much better TT rider than she ever was a track rider, she spent several years in he BSB, some on works machinery struggling to score points.  To be fair, she was getting on a bit in bike rider terms by that point.

Definetly, she didnt get much attention on TV coverage of the TT though either and was mostly before my younger two came around (and its only really the youngest who likes motorcycle racing, my middle daughter isn't interested, my eldest loved F1 but mostly as a fan of Mark Webber)

Been watching Jimmer and his team do the Daytona 24 in iRacing (online sim racing). Daytona is their unlucky one and it seems no different this year.

They were in second but got cronched by a meatball and lost 11 minutes to repairs. He's currently in 8th and chasing 7th (8th is their best in the past) but he lost 24 seconds in the pits when he had to go out of his shed for a wee, so it's a long shot now :lol:

He'll have had to do 5 hours when he finishes as his teammate started feeling pretty sick this morning and he took over early.

They're in the middle class (GTE) so having to make way for DPs (Daytona Prototypes) and get safely around GT3s. They're carrying a little bodywork damage  still which is affecting their top speed on the banking a little.

• Upvote 3

Meanwhile I'm watching the top level of British Indoor Karting, the BRKC. I raced this in 2014 to no real effect and since then the event has evolved way beyond me.

The defending champion is World Champion Reuben Bootens, but Selina Balneger won all 4 of her heats...  Semis and Final coming up later.

• Upvote 2

It really doesn’t, the literal death of top line sports car racing, it looks like they want to make the top class of lemans effectively a spec series.

Hypercar was already bad enough with its aggressive BoP plans but to effectively kill that before it’s even raced (because who’s going to develop a 200mil HyperCar when they’ll restrict you down to a budget lmp2 car with pretensions anyway) is just mad.

• Upvote 2

Bathurst 12 hour this weekend, live stream available from the website, starts about 8pm tomorrow.

Marvelous way to kill some time.

Good racing so far, first safety car following a badly wrecked Aston.

That was a nasty crash and also an illustration why you do not want to run lock step with your teammate, if not for quick reactions that crash nearly wiped out the whole of Garage 59.

I think I'm watching on a different channel to Ryodi so I'll link mine too. The channel itself is worth following, they show a lot of stuff.

• Upvote 2

I actually posted a different stream to the one I'm watching which is this one which I cannot embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpwDNZts0BA

I cannot get over how big that Liqui Moly logo is, some OLED viewers are going to have it burnt into their screens if they watch the whole race.

• Upvote 1

Ouch.

There isn't alot there to stop parts of car flying into the crowd....

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

That was a nasty crash and also an illustration why you do not want to run lock step with your teammate, if not for quick reactions that crash nearly wiped out the whole of Garage 59.

What did I just say? Mistake by one Audi Sport Valvoline car puts another one out of the 12hr.

• Upvote 1

So the Bentley was loitering in about 5th when I bailed last night, and I did think that must be worth a punt for the win....

Hell of a machine.

47 minutes ago, morcs said:

Is it on Sky F1 or owt?

I think it's on Premier Sports over there.

Rained out yesterday, starts at 9pm your time.

• Upvote 1

Been watching it tonight. Really horrid accident at the end - judging by the replays that were (somewhat unnecessarily) shown, the driver involved (won’t name in-case anyone is watching on delay) will be very lucky to walk away unhurt. Awful crash.

Serious but not life-threatening injuries. Utterly relieved as I was convinced I would wake up to find out the worst had happened.