rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Ash

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Xbox One X - Who's getting one?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, vezna said:

Considering 1 in 5 of PS4's sold are the Pro model you could assume the X will do ok at least. There's clearly a market for these things.

1 in 5 at the moment and thats in a year on year slump in ps4 sales apparently - its obv peaked so with the upgraders being the most likely seller its not as impressive as that line says.

X is going to be interesting, if I had a 4k telly I would get one but I won't buy a 4k telly to get an X or Pro as the right telly is far more important than a console that plays my games at a higher res if that makes sense.

So unless I get given/win or go insane and spunk 3k on a telly then no I will not be getting one - I do think its a marvel of a box and a much better job than the Pro, even the price isn't all that bad for what you actually get IMO.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

After the last four years of whinging about visible pixels, variable frame rates and how both the consoles immediately seemed undercooked compared to a decent PC?

I think you've hit the nail on the head - I've already got a decent PC and with my PS4 Pro on a 1080p TV I've got a powerful enough console. If this came out last year I'd have got this and kept my original PS4 but now there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage over a Pro if you haven't got a 4K TV.

I do agree that if you're making the decision to upgrade to a good 4K TV then the price doesn't really matter. A decent 4K TV with proper HDR and good response times is about £700-800. An OLED is about £1500. If you're spending that much money then an extra £100 on a console that will do the best job on that kind of TV is an easy decision to make.

13 minutes ago, ronin said:

the new xbox will apparently use supersampling to downscale 4k assets to 1080p, so there is something there for non-4k tv owners as well

Supersampling is innate to scaling down an image so all 4K sources are supersampled to 1080p. This isn't explicitly linked to asset resolution. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Why are gamers such cheap bastards? £450 is pocket change for this beauty.

Can I have £450 of your pocket change to buy one of these please?

12 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, I must admit the whinging about the price seems a bit farcical to me. This is a forum where members regularly piss hundreds of pounds up the wall on tat like collectors editions, Transformers figures and every single iterative iPhone upgrade, but suddenly £450 is too much money?

I think what you need to realise while most might have enough disposable income to afford such luxury, cost vs value comes into the argument.

Do you already have a PS4 Pro/Powerful PC?

Are you happy with the Xbox One's current performance?

Is there enough first party exclusive games to inspire interest?

Are you interested in VR?

Where is the majority of your friends playing?

Depending on these answers is where you might find the value in purchasing an Xbox One X.

For something that's twice as powerful as the nearest competitor

It's just shy of 1/3 more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

I know cost is relative to everyone, but considering the audience and what it actually offers it feels like a perfectly sane price to me. It seems unfeasible that it could have cost any less.

My issue is Microsoft needed the games for me to part with my cash or offer it at a competitive price with a PS4 Pro. I fully understand the Xbox One X will cost more to produce and therefore has a higher cost price but you have to realise you can grab a PS4 pro for around £300 these days, does 1/3 more powerful justify 1/3 more cost? 

13 hours ago, JPL said:

— Some great looking first party stuff on its way - Ori, Sea of Thieves, Forza, etc.

This is actually the stumbling block for me, the first party stuff just does not appeal minus State of Decay 2, Ori and Playerunknown Battlegrounds, all of which i'll be able to play on my current Xbox One. 

13 hours ago, JPL said:

— All the best multi-platform games (except for the pointless bits Sony have money-hatted, but they'll be in lower res anyway)

Don't you mean the same multi-platform games? And what if you have more friends on the other platform because that's where most migrated to after the 360? Do you abandon them for shinies and play alone?

— The best controller. Even better if you've got an Elite.

This is where I have to disagree entirely (and I own an Elite). Don't get me wrong, it's a nice controller and the Elite is the most well made and super premium controller i've ever got my hands on. But I totally prefer the Dual Shock 4 and it's for one reason only, the tension on the analogue sticks, I cannot for the life of me get on with how slack the Xbox One pad sticks feel, I feel such a disconnect when playing because of it and having played Destiny on PS4 and XB1 my personal performance while playing PvP is dramatically different, maybe i'm in the minority on this one.

Actually something that's just dawned on me is that a lot of 4k TVs only have one HDMI port that is HDR enabled. Meaning for someone that already has a PS4 Pro and wants a Xbox One X they would need to factor in a HDR compatible HDMI switcher as part of their purchase. 

4 minutes ago, vezna said:

Actually something that's just dawned on me is that a lot of 4k TVs only have one HDMI port that is HDR enabled. Meaning for someone that already has a PS4 Pro and wants a Xbox One X they would need to factor in a HDR compatible HDMI switcher as part of their purchase. 

From the mind range 2017 models I've been looking there are usually 2/3 now with hdr enabled and auto switching on/off of HDR so hopefully its starting to mature a bit.

7 minutes ago, vezna said:

Most decent sets for the last couple of years will have them all enabled (or enableable). Certainly they are on my set.

It would be somewhat ironic to buy the most expensive console ever (well it probably isn't, but you know what I mean)  and then purchase the cheapest 4k set you can find. I understand its a big outlay, but it's like buying a Ferrari and then fitting remoulds.

1 minute ago, clippa said:

So is this HDR business worth having then? It seems to make everything a lot darker which I wouldn't like at all.

4k on its own is ok, not really a game changer. 4k + HDR is stellar, for both games and movies / TV shows.

30 minutes ago, clippa said:

So is this HDR business worth having then? It seems to make everything a lot darker which I wouldn't like at all.

It's not making everything darker - It allows for  a much higher range between Black and White. So your average telly will have 16 shades. So any scene that has anything very bright or very dark on screen will get pulled one way or the other, and all the colours will be affected. What HDR allows for is scenes to have far more accurate lighting and colours, having a very dark area wont pull all surrounding colours down with it, and the opposite with very bright objects. And if you have a very dark scene with a very bright event, say and explosion or such like, it really is stark. I tpops fromt eh scrren because you can have the darkes dark and the brightest bright on the screen at the same time.

A simple explanation is a picture of the sky with the sun. In non HDR, the sun will saturate everything. all the colours will be muted due to the brightness, where as HDR wont have this impact.

Example:

20_Century_Fox_SDR_vs_HDR.jpg 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarryL85 said:

This is actually the stumbling block for me, the first party stuff just does not appeal minus State of Decay 2, Ori and Playerunknown Battlegrounds, all of which i'll be able to play on my current Xbox One.

This is true. You'll be able to play it all on your standard One, just like all Pro games can be played on the standard PS4. It won't be as cool though, will it?

Don't you mean the same multi-platform games? And what if you have more friends on the other platform because that's where most migrated to after the 360? Do you abandon them for shinies and play alone?

No, I mean the best graphical version of those multi-platform games. I wouldn't worry about playing alone either. All the cool kids will get an X.

This is where I have to disagree entirely (and I own an Elite). Don't get me wrong, it's a nice controller and the Elite is the most well made and super premium controller i've ever got my hands on. But I totally prefer the Dual Shock 4 and it's for one reason only, the tension on the analogue sticks, I cannot for the life of me get on with how slack the Xbox One pad sticks feel, I feel such a disconnect when playing because of it and having played Destiny on PS4 and XB1 my personal performance while playing PvP is dramatically different, maybe i'm in the minority on this one.

Each to their own, but yeah, you're a bit mental!

It was a bit of a joke post to be honest, but I've tried to answer your points above!

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

It was a bit of a joke post to be honest, but I've tried to answer your points above!

Look, i'm going to get straight to the point, i'm here to talk myself out of buying an Xbox One X and you're not helping.

1 hour ago, clippa said:

Part of the current minefield that is HDR and 4K is the fact that HDR is currently pretty new and is mostly being done by colourists going in after the fact and fiddling with things to make them look the way they think they should look. This means the current crop of games are a bit variable in their HDR implementation.

13 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

Look, i'm going to get straight to the point, i'm here to talk myself out of buying an Xbox One X and you're not helping.

Why would you do that? You seem pretty cool to me, Barry. You're definitely the kind of person who should be getting one. I'll see you on November 7th, yeah?

That's something I forgot to ask as well - can't you tighten the sticks on the Elite controller?

Just now, JPL said:

Why would you do that? You seem pretty cool to me, Barry. You're definitely the kind of person who should be getting one. I'll see you on November 7th, yeah?

I would imagine you will :facepalm:

17 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, I must admit the whinging about the price seems a bit farcical to me. This is a forum where members regularly piss hundreds of pounds up the wall on tat like collectors editions, Transformers figures and every single iterative iPhone upgrade, but suddenly £450 is too much money? For something that's twice as powerful as the nearest competitor, and is effectively future-proofed to run almost every console game on the market at its best for the foreseeable future? After the last four years of whinging about visible pixels, variable frame rates and how both the consoles immediately seemed undercooked compared to a decent PC?

I know cost is relative to everyone, but considering the audience and what it actually offers it feels like a perfectly sane price to me. It seems unfeasible that it could have cost any less.

Twice as powerful as it's nearest competitor? PS4 Pro says Hi, it's not even 1.5times more powerful, it's a jump, but it's not that huge, PS4 Pro has other advantages, OS, VR, cheaper entry point, and it will have a year headstart.

35 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Twice as powerful as it's nearest competitor? PS4 Pro says Hi, it's not even 1.5times more powerful, it's a jump, but it's not that huge, PS4 Pro has other advantages, OS, VR, cheaper entry point, and it will have a year headstart.

Considering one can use 4k textures and the other can't I'd say that's a pretty big jump. Plus it has other advantages like improving backwards compatible games. 4K game DVR. A much faster new fluid based OS and It doesn't need a years head start because it's launching with more 4k titles day one than the Pro has managed during it's entire availability.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, vezna said:

That's a whole rabbit hole to go down in iteslf. I was recently shopping for new TV and looking into this and reading the AV Forums the 4K/HDR switcher situation is currently a complete clusterfuck. Thankfully the TV I got had two HDR enabled ports and luckily only two consoles do HDR at the moment.

Even if your screen only has a single HDR enabled HDMI socket, won't the X, like other Xbox Ones have HDMI passthrough? Obviously it's far from certain, but you'd hope that the passthrough was HDR enabled and so you wouldn't be losing a socket.

7 minutes ago, ahsoka said:

Even if your screen only has a single HDR enabled HDMI socket, won't the X, like other Xbox Ones have HDMI passthrough? Obviously it's far from certain, but you'd hope that the passthrough was HDR enabled and so you wouldn't be losing a socket.

Only if the fucking clowns that made the PSVR breakout box have nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, ahsoka said:

It isn't. It's a HDMI 1.4 passthrough port in the specs (and besides, it introduces too much lag for games).

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Only if the fucking clowns that made the PSVR breakout box have nothing to do with it.

Yeah this is a complete ball-ache (well an inconvenience) I'm currently playing Horizon ZD in the early evening then RE7 VR at night and the swapping cables is fucking stupid, on the same machine. It also seemed to cause some sort of interference when playing HDR games such as Gears 4 and Horizon 3 on my One S HDMI input. It only happened the once and I immediately solved it by pulling out the breakout's power. This may have been my TV throwing a fit but I've never had any problems before whilst having both the One S and Pro both on at the same time, even whilst both were playing a HDR game.

Daft.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amc said:

Yeah this is a complete ball-ache (well an inconvenience) I'm currently playing Horizon ZD in the early evening then RE7 VR at night and the swapping cables is fucking stupid, on the same machine. It also seemed to cause some sort of interference when playing HDR games such as Gears 4 and Horizon 3 on my One S HDMI input. It only happened the once and I immediately solved it by pulling out the breakout's power. This may have been my TV throwing a fit but I've never had any problems before whilst having both the One S and Pro both on at the same time, even whilst both were playing a HDR game.

Daft.  

This is exactly why I sold my PSVR